U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM

446 posts, read 631,956 times

Advertisements

I have a Summit brand Range Hood. It uses a 650 CFM 420W 3.5A blower motor (3 speed) with 25uF capacitor. The manufacturer in Bronx, NY does not have any in stock currently. I guess it comes either from Italy (Elektromech motor) or Turkey (Silverline assembler).

Can I use some other brand's blower assembly ? The below Broan blower assembly (SB06001983) looks very similar externally to my existing blower (the wattage is less but that's okay, probably means lower speeds)

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...779&Ref=611198
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing range hood blower motor assembly using other brand's-broan-range-hood-blowe.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:45 AM

4,309 posts, read 21,113,565 times
You can probably use any fan you want providing it will fit in place, the voltage is the same, and the openings in the fan are the same size and location.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You can probably use any fan you want providing it will fit in place, the voltage is the same, and the openings in the fan are the same size and location.
Thank you. The opening is definitely the same i.e. 6" dia.

I need to check the capacitor uF required by the new motor too I guess. I will be trying to retain both the existing capacitor as well as circuit board.

Btw, the capacitors on range hood, are they for only start or for both start and run?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM

OP here. Turns out Summit Appliance / Felix Storch of Bronx did have a spare blower motor assembly in stock and I got it within 2-3 days. And I am not sure why but they did not charge me even though I had given my credit card details.

Exhaust works fine now. For 2-3 days (when exhaust was out of commission) I had kept a small fan in one of the windows pointing out and ran it when cooking.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:11 AM

73,803 posts, read 73,639,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
the amount cfm of air the fan moves is important . fans can be the same size and voltage but have different cfm rates .

Old 09-24-2019, 01:06 PM

4,309 posts, read 21,113,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the amount cfm of air the fan moves is important . fans can be the same size and voltage but have different cfm rates .
Of course cfm matters, but the original is 650. The exhaust port on the original would likely support fans that have 1000 cfm's unless it was abnormally small.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 PM

Though the Broan and Summit blower assembly look alike and probably are alike in physical dimensions but there are some wiring differences. Not only they have different number of wires coming out of the blower assembly but the circuit board could be different as well as the external capacitor value could be different.

Also, even though the number of speeds and hence the number of voltage taps is the same (i.e. three in both cases) but we don't know how much voltage is applied by the circuit board for each of those taps (though it should not matter since it will only make the level 1 and level 2 speeds different from the original ones). Level 3 speed I think will get the full voltage anyway in both brands circuit board i.e. 115V.

Old Today, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
OP here. Turns out Summit Appliance / Felix Storch of Bronx did have a spare blower motor assembly in stock and I got it within 2-3 days. And I am not sure why but they did not charge me even though I had given my credit card details.
They did charge me actually. Just saw my CC statement today. Strange, never got any kind of invoice or bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or