U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 AM

106 posts, read 20,060 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had to replace their TXV or did you replace your air conditioning unit? My air conditioning unit is 12 years old and the warranty has expired. I have a bad thermostat expanding valve that needs to be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:59 AM

5,676 posts, read 2,620,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Has anyone had to replace their TXV or did you replace your air conditioning unit? My air conditioning unit is 12 years old and the warranty has expired. I have a bad thermostat expanding valve that needs to be replaced.
Well, I would expect 20+ years till major components need to be replaced. Basically, what you have is:

*compressor wears out (these can last for decades, but when they fail you have to discharge the whole system)
Contactor and capacitor for compressor motor fail (remove, replace)
Condenser fan fails (unbolt and replace)
TXV fails (many systems have a cap tube, which will last essentially indefinitely as long as the compressor doesn't fail and plug it with debris. If TXV fails you'll have to discharge the whole system, but there won't be debris in the system)
*Evaporator develops pinhole leaks (usually due to a combination of corrosion and poor manufacturing that resulted in thin places) - replace it, discharge the whole system
*Evaporator housing rusts through - replace it and usually the coil too
Blower fan bearings fail - replace
Blower motor fails - replace

To me the things that would definitely make me replace the major components would be a compressor failure at 20+ years or a failure of evaporator or evaporator housing. Also, any repair requiring a discharge and recharge, you need to evaluate the anticipated near-term availability of the current refrigerant and ability to retrofit with a substitute. I've identified with * the things where you really ought to consider replacing the whole shooting match. If your current refrigerant looks like it'll be available for 10 years to come, I would say just replacing the TXV would be reasonable.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:16 PM

The TXV is not reasonable in the price they want for it, which is almost $1,000 not including the parts, labor or whatever else is needed! And the TXV is completely frozen like an icicle! The cost does not seem reasonable at all!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 PM

29,217 posts, read 63,522,945 times
Quote:
The cost does not seem reasonable at all!
The part is in the ~$100-140 range.

You need a different mechanic

Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The part is in the ~$100-140 range.

You need a different mechanic

Yep, I have another coming tomorrow. I am just wondering if anyone else had this replaced and how much their cost was? Is the TXV valve look like a gooses neck? He let me look inside the unit and that is what I saw and it was frozen like I said. And I made a mistake. The cost includes labor, material and sales tax, but anything else there is an extra charge.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM

73,665 posts, read 73,489,172 times
Quote:
Yep, I have another coming tomorrow. I am just wondering if anyone else had this replaced and how much their cost was? Is the TXV valve look like a gooses neck? He let me look inside the unit and that is what I saw and it was frozen like I said. And I made a mistake. The cost includes labor, material and sales tax, but anything else there is an extra charge.
you can't just replace the txv unless it is just the bellows . once opened the system needs to be drawn down to a vacuum before it is recharged

Old 09-05-2019, 02:10 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,620,114 times
Well, you can figure a cost yourself.

Discharge system - 0.5 hr
Climb in attic, gain access to TXV, remove it, install new one - 1 hr (it requires also accessing the inside of the evaporator housing where the sensing bulb is)
Apply vacuum pump, evacuate (assumes service valves in good condition are present on both suction and discharge sides. 0.5 hr to hook up. If it were me doing the job on my own system I'd leave it overnight but I rather doubt that's done commercially, so technician sits around for let's say 1 hour.
Charge system - 0.5 hr.
climb back into attick and leak check with halogen sniffer - 0.5 hr
If no leak, button the thing all back up - 0.5 hr
Disconnect charging equipment, leak check at valves, operation check - 0.5 hr (give it time to build and equalize pressure)

My extremely guesstimated labor hours add up to 5.0 hours. Let's say $450 to 500 in labor. $150 for the part. How much does the refrigerant cost?

So, the sniff test puts me around $750 maybe, depending on refrigerant cost.

I've probably left some things out or misestimated, but "almost $1000" seems somewhere between reasonable and somewhat high, not outrageous.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, you can figure a cost yourself.

Climb in attic, gain access to TXV, remove it, install new one - 1 hr (it requires also accessing the inside of the evaporator housing where the sensing bulb is)
Apply vacuum pump, evacuate (assumes service valves in good condition are present on both suction and discharge sides. 0.5 hr to hook up. If it were me doing the job on my own system I'd leave it overnight but I rather doubt that's done commercially, so technician sits around for let's say 1 hour.
Charge system - 0.5 hr.
climb back into attick and leak check with halogen sniffer - 0.5 hr
If no leak, button the thing all back up - 0.5 hr
Disconnect charging equipment, leak check at valves, operation check - 0.5 hr (give it time to build and equalize pressure)

My extremely guesstimated labor hours add up to 5.0 hours. Let's say $450 to 500 in labor. $150 for the part. How much does the refrigerant cost?

I've probably left some things out or misestimated, but "almost $1000" seems somewhere between reasonable and somewhat high, not outrageous.
I always let my pump run over night .... once I turned it off I would let the system sit for a bit too , making sure it held 30” of vacuum.

You need to let the vacuum pump work for quite a while not only to suck out air , but to get moisture to boil off too from the air

Old 09-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't have an attic since I'm in a condo. The repair guy did take the sensing bulb out, without any success for it to run properly. My unit is running 24/7 and won't shut off and take a break. He turned it off and told me to turn it back on a few hours, so it now is running now about 19 hours without a break. I'm thinking the problem lie within the temperature controller.

Quote:

I didn't realize that it is that big of a job. I just thought it was that goose neck that was frozen was the TXV valve. Is it?

Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I don't have an attic since I'm in a condo. The repair guy did take the sensing bulb out, without any success for it to run properly. My unit is running 24/7 and won't shut off and take a break. He turned it off and told me to turn it back on a few hours, so it now is running now about 19 hours without a break. I'm thinking the problem lie within the temperature controller.

I didn't realize that it is that big of a job. I just thought it was that goose neck that was frozen was the TXV valve. Is it?
No ,,that actually works the valve by opening and closing it as it meters the refrigerant in to the evaporator...to change the entire valve out requires opening up the system to the air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or