U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 2,548,943 times

Advertisements

In my experience, the thing that actually clogs up isn't the long straight run of gutter, it's the downspout, specifically the S bend just below the gutter. I cannot imagine how you could reliably clear the leaves that clog that, without getting up on a ladder. When I'm lucky I can take a length of coat hanger and either pull the clog up or push it down. When I'm not lucky I have to take a screwdriver and unhook it from the gutter, and possibly separate the S bend from the downspout as well, to get the stuff out that's clogging it up. Then re-attach (it's usually just two sheetmetal screws, so easy peasy to do). Then get a bucket of water and pour it down to make sure it's clear.

If you can figure out a way to do that while standing on the ground, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 PM

13,581 posts, read 4,109,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Drone.
But why would you be flying a drone from the 2nd floor window? Still makes no sense.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 466,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But why would you be flying a drone from the 2nd floor window? Still makes no sense.
To inspect the gutters to make sure they are absolutely pristine.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
To inspect the gutters to make sure they are absolutely pristine.
Just use a ladder. It's safer than hanging from out side the 2nd floor window .

Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM

39,889 posts, read 48,390,426 times
Drop a rope down from the window, tie it to a hose, pull the hose up, attach a high pressure nozzle, have someone turn on the water for you, clean them suckers out, smile and be happy.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,708,375 times
I don't go up on ladder anymore unless it has a stabilizer cross brace bolted on to the top. Way safer with one.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Drop a rope down from the window, tie it to a hose, pull the hose up, attach a high pressure nozzle, have someone turn on the water for you, clean them suckers out, smile and be happy.
And fall head first out of the 2nd floor window . I think a ladder would be better.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

1,805 posts, read 466,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Just use a ladder. It's safer than hanging from out side the 2nd floor window .
No way, you get your neighbors to dangle you by your ankles out the window so you can get a really good look. This is what friends are for.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Quote:
No way, you get your neighbors to dangle you by your ankles out the window so you can get a really good look. This is what friends are for.
Rather than being dangle by the ankles, wouldn't you have to have your neighbor lean out the 2nd floor window while you stand on their shoulders to see inside your 2nd floor gutter though ? I still say a ladder would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or