U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 12:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 464,621 times

Advertisements

There are some methods I've seen to be able to clean the gutters without using a ladder. One was to use a vacuum connected to a shop vac. Another I saw was a device that you use with water which might be just from a garden hose.

Is anyone using any of these products successfully without having to use a ladder?

Last edited by rummage; 09-06-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 12:16 PM

28,942 posts, read 63,120,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
There are some methods I've seen to be able to clean the gutters without using a ladder.
My favorite is to hail down one of the yard work crews that roll by.
Twenty minutes and twenty bucks later... I'm good to go.

I'll be doing it soon to clear the years accumulation before the rain starts...
and then again around Dec 1 after all the leaves are off my many trees.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:21 PM

38,875 posts, read 56,715,083 times
Both are OK if you deal with small stuff like leaves or needles. But what to do if you have sticks from broken tree limbs or even plastic bags??
Best would be a professional cleaning once and installing gutter shields after they are cleaned. There are many different kinds for every budget. Mesh, bottle brush, screen, foam, and reverse curve.

Another method would be: Buying a nozzle attachment for your leaf blower and pushing out the debris with forced air. Or using a power hose to blow out the leaves and dirt. This also helps to clean the caked up dirt along the inside and outside of the gutter.
However - both methods will blow out the dirt and spread it on your yard.

I do like the suggestion on the above post! There is just one problem - most yard workers don't carry with them ladders. You would have to let them know what you need to be done beforehand.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 09-06-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 12:24 PM

4,288 posts, read 1,220,511 times
We've got a handyman who lives on our street. I used him before to clean my gutters. $12 and we're good to go. The guy is able to make it just doing odd jobs in our neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 2,546,186 times
Gee, a ladder isn't really all that expensive.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Gee, a ladder isn't really all that expensive.
Ladders come with a tremendous cost.

Each year in the US there are more than 164K emergency room-treated injuries and 300 deaths are caused by falls from ladders. Most ladder deaths are from falls of 10 feet or less. Falls from ladders are the leading cause of deaths on construction sites and those people are professionals. Over the past decade, the number of people who have died from falls from ladders has tripled.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM

1,493 posts, read 672,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We've got a handyman who lives on our street. I used him before to clean my gutters. $12 and we're good to go. The guy is able to make it just doing odd jobs in our neighborhood.
$12?? You would pay many times that for a professional gutter cleaning. I would add a nice tip on top of that if the person only wanted to charge me $12....especially if it is the guy's livelihood!

Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM

7,702 posts, read 3,161,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
There are some methods I've seen to be able to clean the gutters without using a ladder. One was to use a vacuum connected to a shop vac. Another I saw was a device that you use with water which might be just from a garden hose.

Is anyone using any of these products successfully without having to use a ladder?
A waste of time. You can't tell what you're accomplishing from below. Hire someone.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
A waste of time. You can't tell what you're accomplishing from below. Hire someone.
Can't tell what you are accomplishing? How is that? You clean the gutters, it rains, and if it doesn't pour over the gutters it is working? What else could you possible be referring to?

Old 09-06-2019, 05:37 PM

7,189 posts, read 4,006,215 times
My landscaper has an attachment for his leaf blower and he does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or