U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:56 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,234,877 times

Advertisements

We were moving back to the general area. We had a 4 county (+/-) area we were looking at. We're self employed, so could set up anywhere. We had an area we REALLY wanted to be in, but the only house that met what we were looking for was at least $70K over what it was actually worth. Plus it was on 10 acres, which scared me when it came to taking care of it if my husband was unable to. It also was going to need a lot of work, so it ended up not being the right fit for us, sadly.

We kept expanding our area. We needed to move my dad into an assisted living/independent living facility, so while we were looking, we were also trying to find a place for him that was no more than an hour away from where we bought so we could make sure we could get to him quickly if needed.

We had almost given up and this house was on my "like" list, but the pictures were horrible. It had the acreage we wanted, it had the square footage we wanted, it had a fenced yard for the dogs and a garage, it was also only 30 minutes from the place we found for my dad. Why not look at it?

We drove into the neighborhood, only about 15 houses, and liked that part, then we pulled up to the house, it was much prettier than the pictures showed. I walked in the front door and was blown away with how light and bright it was. We loved everything about it. It needed some work, it was a flip and not the best flip out there, but it was exactly what we had been looking for and was priced reasonably for the size and location. We made an offer the next day with a 3 week close (to coincide when my dad's move in date to his place).

7 month later and we still love it. It's home to us. I never loved, much less liked, the last house, though I adored the views and the beauty of the area we lived in. I hated the house.

TL/DR, it was love at first sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 03:58 PM

104 posts, read 18,281 times
I grew up in my neighborhood, got a job nearby and just wound up staying.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:09 PM

485 posts, read 186,306 times
1. The house was NOT in an HOA but in a nice neighborhood.
2. It did not need updating or immediate renovation, not even painting although we did some.
3. It had a 2 car garage

Old 09-06-2019, 07:18 PM

7,210 posts, read 4,026,484 times
55+ with private patio & garden area and an indoor pool and other amenities I wanted. Cost a lot less than the home we sold.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM

38,960 posts, read 56,800,292 times
Old fashioned closed floor plan, no HOA, convenient and close to everything, no neighbors across the street, no neighbors behind back fence, good condition, good area, very quiet street with lots of trees, great price.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 PM

961 posts, read 647,254 times
I loved the fact it had 60 windows , i fell in love with it. A wood burning fireplace inside and also outside in the courtyard. Big back porches, large kitchen, that overlooks the golf course. A big walk in closet. Everything about this house i loved. School was in the neighborhood for my grandchildren. A very friendly neighborhood that cares !

Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 PM

12,108 posts, read 15,714,501 times
Property not in town but 15 minutes to work.
Acreage with trees
Well built
Oversized family room
Great view of mountains and lake

Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,719,663 times
Wanted a vintage house with some architecture.
Wanted a garden- not a yard.
Wanted a closely connected neighborhood to the city.

Found a a 92 y.o. (now) master craftsman built house, on...
A multi-terraced, mature landscaped garden on the edge of a canyon and huge urban park with...
Surfers and Navy pilots across the street, real fun and friendly octogenarians on either side, and as it turns out, a forgotten urban village neighborhood ready to be reborn.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:51 AM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 24 days ago)

5,933 posts, read 6,123,208 times
I would say it was the view to be honest. It was first off the floor plan but that wasnít the deciding factor for our specific house since itís new build and there are many of the same floor plan. The unobstructed view of the Las Vegas Strip and the mountains sealed the deal for us!

Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 507,045 times
Just bought last month.

27 year old home on .75 acre on a very private elevated lot but with nice views from the yard(only 1 nearby neighbor set back behind tall fence), no HOA, near a main throughfare, but mostly isolated from road noise. Proximity to this throughfare kept the price down in a very competitive housing market. Counters and cabinetry are all higher end but still builder grade, we will renovate slowly down the road some.
Less than 10 minutes from downtown, less than 5 from primary hospital in area.
All tile or wood floors are good for us as we are dog people. Private back yard, all fenced in.

HVAC, forced gas heat, gas water heater and roof all less than 5 years old.

1900 sqft good for the two of us.

Plenty of private parking on wide asphalt drive/lot. We have a lot of family in town, and enjoy spending time in each other's homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or