U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM

2,007 posts, read 801,846 times

Advertisements

Neighborhood. I like the uniform look of row houses. Lots of people the same ethnicity as me as you do feel a kinship to people who look like you, plus my parents live with me and they're foreigners, so they enjoy talking with our neighbors who speak the same language. Unexpected bonus is that an elementary school is walking distance, so when I had children, they went to that school. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM

26,806 posts, read 63,781,777 times
Price - $1.

Age - 1836

Location (on an island with great schools and safety and a great community).

Location: - choose your own (we had to buy a lot of our choosing and move the house to it)

History (it was used as a native american trading post, the first post office in the community and part of it was a medical office for the first woman doctor in the area (local hospitals would not accept a female doctor). Also the patriarch of the family who lived there for the first 100 years collected clocks. when he died, his daughters hated his obsession with punctuality and threw all of the clocks out on the front lawn. - I collect clocks. We have a lot in common. there are a lot of great rumors about ti that may or may not be true. One is that it was the mustering point for the men of the Island who decided to go together and sign up to fight in the Civil war. Not sure about that one since none of the occupants of the house fought in the war. Still there are neat rumors.

I liked the fireplaces after removing the ugly slabs of marble that were glued to them int he 1970s.

I liked the flooring.

I liked the eccentric layout created by hundred(s) of year(s) of additions and modifications.

I liked that it looked very small and unpretentious outside but seems huge inside.

Big Front porch.

Being on HGTV when we moved it. (Hate to sound like an egomaniac, but it was really cool to have our family featured on national television).

I like that is is haunted. I have never seen the ghost, perhaps because I am skeptical of their existence. Still several others have seen and described the same person even though the people never met or discussed with each other. I think it is one of the sisters who threw all the clocks out on the lawn. She is miffed that I filled the house back up with clocks.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 PM

39,929 posts, read 48,479,648 times
Location location location. On a lake, retirement community, tons of amenities.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 AM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 29 days ago)

5,951 posts, read 6,137,980 times
I guess reading through these comments I realized I should have put location / neighborhood as a close second to view. I chose this specific lot because of the view, over another lot that was similarly priced in the same neighborhood but 50% bigger backyard with no view. I decided if I can still fit a pool, hot tub, and fire pit I donít need more outdoor space than that. But the community itself I chose because of the great location. Itís one of the best areas of one of the best areas of Las Vegas Metro. Gated community on a hill, but extremely close to some of the best shopping, good restaurants, easy access to things I want like my bank, and itís 6 minutes from one set of aunt / uncle and 9 minutes from the other, so Iím close to halfway between my two aunts and uncles. Not the reason I chose the lot / community, but a huge bonus as theyíre just awesome people.

The vibe and feel of the area is really upscale and feels like ďhomeĒ to me. I didnít get that feeling everywhere I looked, so that was important. Itís probably tough to describe logically how a place feels, itís kind of like you know it when you see it. Iíve had neighborhoods before where by all accounts they are pleasant, nice neighborhoods that others find desirable yet I hated them and felt depressed even being there for 5 minutes. No idea why, some places just donít work for everyone I guess.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 AM

10,046 posts, read 22,344,703 times
We won a special promotional contest which was a $50,000 down payment on a house in a brand new community at the time.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 PM

854 posts, read 406,384 times
It checked all the boxes. Hubby picked out our house, while I was still in the old state selling our previous house. Before he left we made a list together of everything we wanted in our new house. This new house had everything we wanted, and then some. I still have a hard time finding a house I like better than our current house when I am browsing around on Zillow.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:56 PM

2,030 posts, read 5,048,487 times
Price, location, house design/layout. We had a list and it checked all of the boxes and more. We actually offered a low bid on a short sale and they accepted it. Doubt we would have ever found a house with "all that we wanted" at this price.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 PM

9,770 posts, read 16,086,338 times
It already had handicapped accommodations, including--

*Walk-in shower with grab bars

* Three full baths with grab bars at toilets

* All one-story and level

* 4 bedroom, 3 bath, so it could act as a transition home for our adult (barely) kids

* Pleasant, established neighborhood

* Quiet street

Old 09-12-2019, 04:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,780,678 times
Location - at the end of a cul-de-sac and backing up to green space. Great floor plan. Great community with excellent schools. Lots of amenities, especially for kids.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 2,864,188 times
Home was large enough and laid out perfectly to allow us to work at home for several years. 7 bedrooms and 4 baths so we could have lots of family visit and even move in for awhile. Huge inground pool, beautiful wooded neighborhood, totally private on one side and back. One block from the hospital and medical offices. No HOA. In the county so we avoid city taxes and extra regulations. Price was very reasonable and property taxes are so low that I brag to family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or