U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:54 PM

1 posts

Advertisements

My neighbor, with whom I have a very good relationship, has a fence between our properties. I have a bed of jasmine ground cover next to the fence and, as jasmine will do, it has grown past the fence and is covering a section of her yard. Also, I have a few trees next to the fence and leaves fall on her side. The fence is wood lattice and is starting to fall over in spots. Someone just suggested to me that the leaves on the other side hold water and contribute to the wood failing. Should I feel responsible for having my landscapers go over to the other side to blow out the leaves, cut the jasmine, etc. Vines, I believe, from my side are also growing up/through the fence which I told my landscaper to cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:09 PM

28,938 posts, read 63,088,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3and3 View Post
My neighbor, with whom I have a very good relationship...
Should I feel responsible for having my landscapers go over to the other side to...
Nope. But it would sure qualify as neighborly.

Maybe it'll be better to start with a cup of coffee and a chat about it all.
Odds are if you sort out a specific date/time for the work that they'll join in fix the fence too..

Old Today, 01:28 PM

6,670 posts, read 8,204,643 times
I would acknowledge your thoughts to your neighbor and ask if they would like you to cut down the jasmine at least. That stuff is a mess. You could also offer to replace the affected part of the fence in the future if they decide to replace the rest of it.

Old Today, 04:24 PM

1,488 posts, read 668,940 times
Leaves falling from a tree are the responsibility of the owner of the property on which they fall. Likewise, your neighbor could cut limbs that extend over onto their property.

Invasive plants, though, I feel a little differently about. At one time I had a neighbor who planted English ivy in a bed that bordered my property. That house changed hands several times and the various owners took different approaches to keeping the ivy trimmed on their property, but NONE of them cut back what invaded my yard. I fought that ivy for over 20 years. I would imagine the new owners of my house are fighting it, too. Never plant anything invasive near a property line. You may plan to contain it, but future owners may not and it is really not fair to neighbors. If you already have it in your yard, the very least you can do is get it out of theirs if they want it gone.

Old Today, 05:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,504,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. But it would sure qualify as neighborly.

Maybe it'll be better to start with a cup of coffee and a chat about it all.
Odds are if you sort out a specific date/time for the work that they'll join in fix the fence too..
Very logical and very kind way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or