Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM

220 posts, read 133,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The A/C ton rating is the cooling capacity. The capacity chosen is matched to the cooling demands of the house and it's not good to go bigger or smaller. Yes the inside coil/evaporator and outside compressor unit should be reasonably matched within the same tonnage range. I think you might want to get another estimate and see if they can just fix your inside unit more affordably. There are some A/C websites that might help explain some of the questions you have.

It can't be fixed affordably when the part, labor, etc is $1000! I got more than one estimate and they all say the same price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 01:43 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
It can't be fixed affordably when the part, labor, etc is $1000! I got more than one estimate and they all say the same price range.
To give you an idea of cost, my 2 units cost $16K installed in an attic by 3 men working two and a half days.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
To give you an idea of cost, my 2 units cost $16K installed in an attic by 3 men working two and a half days.

Why did you install 1 unit instead of one?

Last edited by sundog2; 09-07-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it cost 3-4x that to have a new inside and outside unit installed though?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Wouldn't it cost 3-4x that to have a new inside and outside unit installed though?
The cost I was quoted is for both the unit inside and the unit outside is what runs it and where you add the Freon to.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Why did you install 1 unit instead of one?
4 ton for the living area, 3 ton for bedrooms.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:01 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
Quote:
I was given a quote today on a new ac and the efficiency on these units they quoted are 14 and 16. Someone tonight told me that that the efficiency goes up to 22 and it would save me on my electric bill. Can someone explain this to me? It doesn't make sense how it can save me. I do know the higher the efficiency the more cost of the ac unit. What brands are good? There are lots of brands out there and all I know of is Trane since I have that. The guy quoted me on a Goodman, but I have never heard of it. He also quoted me American Standard, but I only thought they made bathroom and kitchen items. If they would do the job, he told me he can't just install the unit inside and not outside. Can't the outside unit be reused and not replaced?
It’s very simple when it comes to efficiency. The bottom of the barrel budget units are single-stage compressors and either 100% on or 0% on. There are also two-stage units with things like 0-67-100. The best units are variable units with increments as small as 0.1% so the unit only works exactly as hard as it needs to work, like 65.4% for instance. That way the unit runs way quieter and only uses the energy it needs. Don’t consider any brands besides Trane or Lennox. The rest is budget trash. Carrier is good for commercial, it’s mediocre for residential.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s very simple when it comes to efficiency. The bottom of the barrel budget units are single-stage compressors and either 100% on or 0% on. There are also two-stage units with things like 0-67-100. The best units are variable units with increments as small as 0.1% so the unit only works exactly as hard as it needs to work, like 65.4% for instance. That way the unit runs way quieter and only uses the energy it needs. Don’t consider any brands besides Trane or Lennox. The rest is budget trash. Carrier is good for commercial, it’s mediocre for residential.
I have a Trane now, but it was put in by the previous owner of the condo. Right now my efficiency is a 13 he told me. How much of an efficiency can a condo have?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Don’t consider any brands besides Trane or Lennox. The rest is budget trash. Carrier is good for commercial, it’s mediocre for residential.

Thanks. The Lennox won't fit and I have a Trane now, but am told it is noisy by one estimator. Is yours noisy?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
From what I’ve been reading to research a new unit for our upstairs area (19 year old York Diamond 2–ton, SEER B-52), going into these dual/variable stage units is an increase in efficiency but at the expense of reliability. Sticking with a single stage (on/off) appears to be where the reliability is at. I’ve also heard repairing the stage/variable units is notably more expensive.

Neighbor across the street has variable via Carrier. It’s 4 years old. Two weeks ago they discovered a leak in the evap coil, and the bill was going to be nearly $4,000 to repair it. The installer is a neighborhood resident and was able to get Carrier to honor most of it. But they had to replace the entire unit both inside (coil) and the compressor outside too, which I didn’t understand why the outside unit needed to be replaced.

When we replace “Mater” next year, I’m sticking with the basics, and making sure it’s easy to service and repair. I hear Lennox is good but their supply chain for parts is limited and therefore costly to maintain and service.

I want something that any basic service tech can work on and can find a part at my local Grainger store. For where I live (DC), I don’t see the benefit of saving $400 a year during the ac months if it’ll cost me $600 to fix because it’s “complicated” or “proprietary”. I want cool air, and will let the ceiling fan disburse it more evenly around the room in total silence.

Trane and American Standard are the same. Our main unit is America Standard via 2006, and other than needing a new evap coil next year, has been very good to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House