U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 04:19 AM

979 posts, read 653,759 times

Advertisements

For our rebuild we needed 2 new air conditioners,and heating system. We had Rheem installed the quote was for 24,000. Rheem has been very economical for over 3000 sq ft home. Highest bill in the middle of summer with temps over 100 has been $250. We had Rheem previously so we wanted Rheem again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:33 AM

15,326 posts, read 31,883,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
From what Iíve been reading to research a new unit for our upstairs area (19 year old York Diamond 2Ėton, SEER B-52), going into these dual/variable stage units is an increase in efficiency but at the expense of reliability. Sticking with a single stage (on/off) appears to be where the reliability is at. Iíve also heard repairing the stage/variable units is notably more expensive.

Neighbor across the street has variable via Carrier. Itís 4 years old. Two weeks ago they discovered a leak in the evap coil, and the bill was going to be nearly $4,000 to repair it. The installer is a neighborhood resident and was able to get Carrier to honor most of it. But they had to replace the entire unit both inside (coil) and the compressor outside too, which I didnít understand why the outside unit needed to be replaced.

When we replace ďMaterĒ next year, Iím sticking with the basics, and making sure itís easy to service and repair. I hear Lennox is good but their supply chain for parts is limited and therefore costly to maintain and service.

I want something that any basic service tech can work on and can find a part at my local Grainger store. For where I live (DC), I donít see the benefit of saving $400 a year during the ac months if itíll cost me $600 to fix because itís ďcomplicatedĒ or ďproprietaryĒ. I want cool air, and will let the ceiling fan disburse it more evenly around the room in total silence.

Trane and American Standard are the same. Our main unit is America Standard via 2006, and other than needing a new evap coil next year, has been very good to us.
I agree with you, any energy savings from those variable speed units will eventually erased by expensive repair bills.

Another thing I didnít realize, is that many manufacturers (including Trane and Lennox) are now using LG compressors rather than Copeland. It remains to be seen how long these will last, and thereís really no way to know what you have without looking inside the unit for a Ďmade in Koreaí sticker.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 PM

130 posts, read 24,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I was given a quote today on a new ac and the efficiency on these units they quoted are 14 and 16. Someone tonight told me that that the efficiency goes up to 22 and it would save me on my electric bill. Can someone explain this to me? It doesn't make sense how it can save me. I do know the higher the efficiency the more cost of the ac unit. What brands are good? There are lots of brands out there and all I know of is Trane since I have that. The guy quoted me on a Goodman, but I have never heard of it. He also quoted me American Standard, but I only thought they made bathroom and kitchen items. If they would do the job, he told me he can't just install the unit inside and not outside. Can't the outside unit be reused and not replaced?
I like Carrier and Trane generally speaking for the HVAC systems I have done. But it can not be emphasized enough that you should chose the contractor first and then the brand. The installer is the critical part of the equation in ensuring a HVAC system performs as it should and lasts as long as it should or if you have an uncomfortable home with premature death of the HVAC system.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Itís very simple when it comes to efficiency. The bottom of the barrel budget units are single-stage compressors and either 100% on or 0% on. There are also two-stage units with things like 0-67-100. The best units are variable units with increments as small as 0.1% so the unit only works exactly as hard as it needs to work, like 65.4% for instance. That way the unit runs way quieter and only uses the energy it needs. Donít consider any brands besides Trane or Lennox. The rest is budget trash. Carrier is good for commercial, itís mediocre for residential.
Not in my experience. Carrier, especially when you get into the Greenspeed or inverter OD units, is top of the line residential equipment. Carrierís Infinity systems generally provide more for the $ and are well built units. Carrier zoning is the best in the industry closely followed by Honeywell. Combine a Carrier multi-stage compressor with a variable air handler and you wonít be unhappy.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

88 posts, read 17,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
I like Carrier and Trane generally speaking for the HVAC systems I have done. But it can not be emphasized enough that you should chose the contractor first and then the brand. The installer is the critical part of the equation in ensuring a HVAC system performs as it should and lasts as long as it should or if you have an uncomfortable home with premature death of the HVAC system.

I am getting estimates and weeding out a lot of them. It is due to them not giving me enough info or can't answer questions, failing to measure to failing to email me with the results even tho they tell me they will
but do show me what they come up with. And one guy had good prices on a 15 Seer Trane. I asked the new estimator today about it and he didn't know anything about a 15 Seer Trane. His estimate today was for a 15.5 and a 16. So I Googled it and the 15 Trane has been discontinued. There are so many crooks out there I am finding! I have a Trane like I said, but I am not totally hooked on getting a Trane. Just trying to gather a lot of info before I make that expensive decision. I have been told by people I know that Trane has a part that can go bad and it is expensive to fix, like $1200 or so. But they are offering a 10 year for parts and labor.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I am getting estimates and weeding out a lot of them. It is due to them not giving me enough info or can't answer questions, failing to measure to failing to email me with the results even tho they tell me they will
but do show me what they come up with. And one guy had good prices on a 15 Seer Trane. I asked the new estimator today about it and he didn't know anything about a 15 Seer Trane. His estimate today was for a 15.5 and a 16. So I Googled it and the 15 Trane has been discontinued. There are so many crooks out there I am finding! I have a Trane like I said, but I am not totally hooked on getting a Trane. Just trying to gather a lot of info before I make that expensive decision. I have been told by people I know that Trane has a part that can go bad and it is expensive to fix, like $1200 or so. But they are offering a 10 year for parts and labor.
To get the 10 year warranty the unit has to be registered by either you or the contractor. There are exceptions in some states but usually non-registration means the warranty reverts to a 5 year warranty so make sure the contractor or you register it. Also, the parts warranty does NOT include refrigerant so if you have a failure where the refrigerant is lost, they will cover the part and its installation but not the labor and cost to recharge the system. That is usually an expensive process.

Old Today, 07:37 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,929,756 times
We’re going with Trane to replace our 20 year old York Diamond setup for the upstairs (aka Mater) in the spring. XR14 2-ton. Had a guy here today to put a little extra r22 juice into both units. Mater was down nearly 50% as was the 2006 American Standard 3-ton for the main and basement levels of our home. Both have leaks at their evaporators. Come spring, Mater goes completely Trane for HVAC for roughly $5,500, and the other gets new evaporator and keeps going until dead. Our two furnaces are original York diamonds and are fine. Will be left with just one original furnace.

In terms of efficiency and cost savings, the XR14 will be an improvement in general, but we might upgrade the furnace aspect to a more efficient level. Right now we have a 80/20 setup - meaning 80% of heat it produces goes into the home, 20% is wasted. They have 92/8 and 96/4, but don’t know if cost warrants the upgrade yet.

I want dependable and serviceable from any shop. All other aspects come 2nd in making our decision. Want the Corolla over the Benz for this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or