U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 PM

13,692 posts, read 4,185,410 times

Advertisements

I don't like black are dark shingles because it could heat the house in summer, and don't help warm in the winter. Some say if there's good attic ventilation and insulation and that some shingles have some solar reflecting coating, but I still think black shingles make it harder to cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 AM

1,999 posts, read 688,609 times
Personally I agree and would never go with black shingles.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM

10,939 posts, read 10,436,487 times
Following.
I'm going through the same thing, only thanks to the hail storm last year the insurance company is paying for it. Most of the roofers in my part of time use GAF products.

I'm thinking about getting pewter, though pewter is not a light black. It's a blue-gray, at least on my house.

I find Charcoal to be too much of a contrast with the beigy-peachy brick.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 455,592 times
Had Timberlines installed on our home when we built it twenty years ago. Hardly any wear. Still look good.

Had TAMKO installed on our latest build five years ago. Gutters are filled with granules and I have my doubts the roof will go past ten to fifteen years without being redone. When that happens, I’m going back to GAF.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:43 PM

2,325 posts, read 1,940,531 times
Thanks all, it sounds like GAF Timberline HD is a good shingle to use! Not that I'll be too picky here, as I doubt we're in this house in 15 years.

I'm really struggling between the charcoal and pewter. We're red brick front, two story with side load garage. Have black shutters, black front door, black metal roof accent over garage, it just fits the charcoal color to match up against the trim pieces around the front of the house. But, when I look at a 15 year old black roof against a 15 year old pewter type roof, the black doesn't look nearly as good anymore. Maybe just poor maintenance or black needs more maintenance to keep clean.

I'm not worried about heating the house, although a very good point and one that I did consider as well. The attic is well ventilated and new high-ridge vent caps are going on with the new roof. Soffit vents are clear, and no insulation sitting on top of those either. Air flows, albeit could always be better. But our upstair HVAC unit is likely getting replaced in the next year or two anyway and will likely see a stronger unit installed in general for up there. Also want to increase the insulation up there too next year since it'll be 20 years old by then. Time for a little refresher on it.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 806,285 times
I used Pewter. For me it was a better choice based on less solar heat gain. Either color works with red and black.
Attached Thumbnails
New roof advice needed-2019-08-19-16.42.38.jpg   New roof advice needed-2019-08-19-16.42.51.jpg  

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM

We decided on Pewter as well. What sold me was a few in charcoal color after several years, namely a neighbor's house who had a charcoal roof installed in 2012. When we moved in to this house in 2015, his roof looked fantastic, clearly the only one on the street with a new roof. I looked at it again yesterday, and while still in excellent shape, it's faded out a bit now and showing an age that, to me, doesn't suggest just 7 years old. More like 15. But I also noticed that when wet/damp (say early morning humidity) that it looks a deeper black which I like, but I also noticed an aging pewter in the neighborhood also looked a deeper color with a little more black hue to it. But when the Pewter was dry, it didn't look as faded out and it still showed it's architectural pattern aspect quite well. So we decided on pewter. Glad insurance is picking this up. The bill is just shy of $27,000. Ouch!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM

937 posts, read 258,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We’re about to replace our roof. The contractor is well know and very much liked and recommended in our area. They use GAF Timberland HD 4tab architectural shingles and are master installers for that brand (which extends the warranty to 50 years). Anybody know this brand and have any opinions or experiences with them? We’re wanting to change from “weathered wood” to “charcoal”. The roof is 20 years old and has several areas of wind and hail damage. Insurance says they can’t repair because the current shingles aren’t made anymore (size difference) so it’s a total replace instead! I’m good with that idea!
Something to ponder: you have a unique chance now to air seal and insulate your roof according to the best and latest building practice.
It may cost you extra, but could be so worth it: more comfort, less expensive monthly bills and if your HVAC equipment breaks down - you may need a smaller less expensive replacement.
I would go with the metal roof vs asphalt shingles

Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Something to ponder: you have a unique chance now to air seal and insulate your roof according to the best and latest building practice.
It may cost you extra, but could be so worth it: more comfort, less expensive monthly bills and if your HVAC equipment breaks down - you may need a smaller less expensive replacement.
I would go with the metal roof vs asphalt shingles
Thanks but HOA would never approve it, too expensive, and wouldn’t look right on our style of house. For the cost difference I could upgrade the HVAC up there (19 years old, as efficient as a bus), and redo the attic insulation. But the HOA would still flip out on me for a metal roof.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Today’s the day!
Off with the old (Weathered Wood)..
On with the new...

GAF, Timberline HD in Pewter Gray..

And to appease the Karma Gods since insurance is paying for this, each crew member got a $50 from me this morning and two cases of their favorite beer is waiting for them when they’re done today. Figured $500 for a new roof was a pretty good deal! Karma I can negotiate with. Murphy’s Law, I am a victim of. Hoping Karma can keep Murphy distracted for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
New roof advice needed-f46b9c10-10f7-45be-af1a-7e092afd6876.jpeg  

Last edited by NC211; 09-17-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House