U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 03:46 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,940,531 times

Advertisements

We’re about to replace our roof. The contractor is well know and very much liked and recommended in our area. They use GAF Timberland HD 4tab architectural shingles and are master installers for that brand (which extends the warranty to 50 years). Anybody know this brand and have any opinions or experiences with them? We’re wanting to change from “weathered wood” to “charcoal”. The roof is 20 years old and has several areas of wind and hail damage. Insurance says they can’t repair because the current shingles aren’t made anymore (size difference) so it’s a total replace instead! I’m good with that idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 04:01 AM

29,199 posts, read 63,457,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
The contractor is well know and very much liked and recommended in our area.
If that's based on more than anecdotes and amateur observation... you can't do better.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If that's based on more than anecdotes and amateur observation... you can't do better.
It’s the best I’ve got. They’ve replaced over 70 in this neighborhood over the past few years, all seem to be very pleased with them. Hard for me to say that they’re all wrong, and these houses have steep pitches and some complicated roof lines.

The GAF shingles appear to be quite nice, the timberland hd series, but I don’t know what I don’t know about shingles to tell if they’re any good. They’re off the shelf as I see them at HD and Lowe’s too. I don’t think they’re builder-grade, but also don’t know if they’re the Cadillac of shingles..

Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 AM

1,190 posts, read 806,285 times
I replaced my roof last year with GAF Timberline shingles. They're a very good brand by a well established manufacturer. You can probably find something that costs more, but there's no reason to. If the contractor is approved and certified by GAF then you should be fine.

Something to consider is upgrading to full coverage with ice and water barrier. It costs more but provides an added layer of protection against wind and hail damage leaks.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:32 AM

4,254 posts, read 7,513,405 times
If you live in an HOA, be certain you can change colors. Last 3 houses I lived in HAD to be Weathered Wood.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:29 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,331,579 times
The shingles might last 50 years, but the question is will they remain attached to the old OSB underneath them. I would get flat shingles and let the neighbors get the architectural ones. I think the flat do better in constant wind..but would be willing to look at studies that claim otherwise.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Thanks all, makes me feel better! I do have an HOA but thankfully we’re not all the same roof color. Granted couldn’t get away with a red or blue roof, but the charcoal, weathered wood (which we have now) and a few other variants are all around. I just need to point to one as neighborhood friendly already. They must be 4tab architecture shingles though, no 3tab flat allowed. Our roof has held up quite well, as have the majority of the others. What’s happened is that we’re unable to match them now for repairs seamlessly, so they’re being replaced in their entirety. One or two damaged of the existing requires a larger area to be replaced to make the new sizes work, creating a patchwork appearance. Something about ours being 36 inches and everything now is 39 and different. Hey, if insurance is on board, who am I to argue against it!! To replace ours costs around $25k. Gulp.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM

I’m watching the house across the street get done today by the same crew. They’ve stripped the old, replaced a few rotten sheathing boards, have covered in felt and a second cover called “top shield” and starting to install the new shingles. Looks like a thorough job..

Old 09-07-2019, 12:21 PM

1,999 posts, read 688,609 times
Yes, the ice and water shield base layer is very worthwhile as others have mentioned.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Thanks Rickcin!

So, I’m down to two choices. We have “weathered wood” now and personally don’t like it on this house. Doesn’t sync to anything about the house. What does sync is either “charcoal” or “pewter gray”.

What ages better? Charcoal (basically black) or pewter gray (kind’ve a lite black with some gray to it)? What concerns me about the pewter gray is how visible the algae streaks become on the northern side of the house in a few years, and losing more of the black aspect to gray as it fades. But there is a house in the neighborhood that got the pewter gray color and I have to admit that it looks beautiful. Could work on ours too if it ages better than charcoal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House