U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:45 PM

1,179 posts, read 791,922 times

Advertisements

If you can accept that the value of your house won't increase dollar for dollar by doing this, and it's something you can afford, and something you'll enjoy for 5-10 years, then go for it. The screen porch will add some value, but repairing an existing deck won't (unless it's really exceptional).

Get more quotes and make an informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 901,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
An appropriately sized screened in Porch definitely contributes to the resale value of a house and is a pretty common feature that many buyers want to have in warmer states like NC or Virginia.
And the other side of the coin- an old, rotting one that clearly needs repair would be an instant turnoff for most prospective buyers.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 1,667,119 times
how much is too much?

well, we torn down and hauled away our old deck (not porch) in 2016.
we rebuilt and expanded the square footage by twice with a roof (no screen).
total cost of materials ~$5K....so, if you can do the work yourself, too much
is $9K. lumber has gone up in the last three years.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:42 AM

1,855 posts, read 649,315 times
Have you asked your neighbors about their decks? Who did them. How much...at least ballpark.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:10 AM

6,685 posts, read 8,221,037 times
If you have the screened porch would you even use the deck?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 AM

10,609 posts, read 12,544,724 times
My friend spent $150,000 on a Porch. It was red/black interior and really fast!

On the wooden kind, if you enjoy it, don't go crazy but build it and use it.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 AM

10,848 posts, read 5,097,064 times
There's always those screened in gazebos they sell at places like Home Depot/Lowes but I doubt you would a ceiling fan with those. I'm assuming you got more than one quote?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 AM

161 posts, read 150,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you have the screened porch would you even use the deck?

Good question. Probably not a lot, other than a place to put the grill. I guess some people like sitting out in the sun... I don't...

That said, is having a porch with no/minimal deck a weird thing? Turnoff for a prospective buyer? That could be a good way to cut costs.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:49 AM

2,539 posts, read 901,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
Good question. Probably not a lot, other than a place to put the grill. I guess some people like sitting out in the sun... I don't...

That said, is having a porch with no/minimal deck a weird thing? Turnoff for a prospective buyer? That could be a good way to cut costs.
Ours has a small, open area off the short side with a "grilling porch". I doubt that it reduced the cost since they then had to install a door so we could get out there, but there didn't seem to be any other place to put a grill since the porch is off the back side of the house and built into a hill. It's also where I put one of the bird feeders. BTW, DH had them install two chains hanging from the roof on the side of the porch facing the lake so we could hang bird feeders. No squirrels ever get there. DH was pretty smart.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM

605 posts, read 654,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post

Given all of your factors, I think it would be great to proceed with the screen porch, and maybe get quotes on a stone or brick patio on the ground, for the grill and/or a couple of chaise lounges for those who might want to sun themselves.

5-10 more years in the house is a lot of time, and in warm-weather climates, this sort of feature is REALLY nice to have (and can be used for a lot of the year). We have friends in Austin who spent $50K on a new in-ground pool several years ago, and they adore it. They actually go on vacation a lot less now because they love being home.

I would NOT try to calculate whether or how much of the cost you'll make back on resale - that's just too hard to gauge. The decision would have to be based on your own enjoyment, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or