U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM

884 posts, read 243,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Even a closed pool still needs chemicals to prevent it from turning into a cesspool of algae, so we'd still need a pool guy.

But primarily we leave it open because it doesn't get that cold there, and we want to use the pool when we are there.

In a perfect world we wouldn't own a pool unless we lived there full-time, but this is what life has dealt us right now.
Still, it is your responsibility to manage your home properly and take care of things
You are concerned with the money your lost, but seem to not care that twice In your absence the water was wasted.

If you want what you want (the pool open at your convenience when you are back for a short visit from overseas) - then - pay up your water bill - it goes with the territory- learn from your mistakes

You could have closed the pool properly. ( You should learn how to properly close your pool for long absence- no algae would grow)
https://www.swimuniversity.com/close-inground-pool/
You could have hired a professional reliable pool company with a proper liability insurance
You could have installed a device which could have your water shut off when the leak is detected
You could have pay someone - a management company/ a neighbor/ a friend/ a relative to stop by and check if everything is ok, especially if any services were rendered in your absence by contractors.

Goes with the territory- you are lucky if Brian will give you cash or free services.

But ...it is on you.
Hope you feel bad about wasted water- I do.

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-11-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,533,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He's a pool guy. He doesn't have that kind of money. He made a big mistake. People make mistakes. Like leaving their houses unattended for days on end without anyone checking up on it, or w/o canceling services so no one is there doing anything w/o you there. Big mistake. (I llearned the hard way that when leaving the house unattended for a week, it's best to SHUT THE WATER OFF.) Your mistake.

I'd take him up on the month of free service, and leave it at that. Next time, cancel all services while you're gone for a week, and hire a house sitter to go by every couple of days to check up on things. And shut the water off.
I can't just shut the water off. Water does need to be added to the pool regularly, especially during hot summer months. If the water gets too low to circulate through the skimmers, the pump would be ruined and the water a big algae mess.

Hiring a house sitter to "go by every couple of days" would get very expensive. I don't know any snowbirds or anyone else with two houses who does that.

I pay Brian to keep my pool in good shape. That includes keeping the water level where it should be. While I understand he made a mistake, he is the one at fault here, not me.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,038,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
One hard lesson of life here for the homeowner is that if you're going to leave your home vacant for long periods of time you should arrange to have it monitored [Ö]

Yes, letting a house sit empty for long periods is not a good idea, for multiple reasons.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM

2,778 posts, read 7,688,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Any particular brand you can recommend? We've had several of these fail. I'm going to install a proper underground system for our garden, but we invariably end up using the hose bib timer for odds and ends tasks, and it's a pain when they don't work.

I've been using the Pool Sentry for years. They do break after a while because they are made of plastic so do not put a lot of water pressure to them.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 PM

7,190 posts, read 3,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't just shut the water off. Water does need to be added to the pool regularly, especially during hot summer months. If the water gets too low to circulate through the skimmers, the pump would be ruined and the water a big algae mess.

Hiring a house sitter to "go by every couple of days" would get very expensive. I don't know any snowbirds or anyone else with two houses who does that.

I pay Brian to keep my pool in good shape. That includes keeping the water level where it should be. While I understand he made a mistake, he is the one at fault here, not me.
Anything could have happened to cause the large water loss. A water fixture inside (say, a toilet) could have broken, and run, dripping on everything, for five days while you're gone. The kitchen faucet could have gone berserk. You really need to shut the water off or hire someone to come by to check on your house. You could hire a pet sitter to come by your home several times. Or ask a neighbor.

You have an excuse for everything. But people deal with this all the time. You have to shut the house down when you leave for a week OR arrange some other way to check up on things.

Maybe there's an app that you can check on water and electricity while you're gone. There is something.

This is as much your fault as the pool guy's. IMO.

If I were on a jury, I would apportion the damages, finding that it was the pool guy's negligence in forgetting to turn off the hose, and he would be responsible for the damage THAT DAY. I would find that it's the owner's negligence for damages after that first day, since it's the owner's responsibility to check on his property and safeguard it. It would be unfair to hold the pool guy responsible for all damages for who knows how long, because you decided to go on a vacation somewhere instead of returning to this house. I understand you want to blame it on someone else, because the pool guy made the INITIAL mistake. But YOUR mistake takes over after that first day.

Last edited by bpollen; 09-11-2019 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM

13,399 posts, read 5,136,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Anything could have happened to cause the large water loss. A water fixture inside (say, a toilet) could have broken, and run, dripping on everything, for five days while you're gone. The kitchen faucet could have gone berserk. You really need to shut the water off or hire someone to come by to check on your house. You could hire a pet sitter to come by your home several times. Or ask a neighbor.

You have an excuse for everything. But people deal with this all the time. You have to shut the house down when you leave for a week OR arrange some other way to check up on things.

Maybe there's an app that you can check on water and electricity while you're gone. There is something.

This is as much your fault as the pool guy's. IMO.

If I were on a jury, I would apportion the damages, finding that it was the pool guy's negligence in forgetting to turn off the hose, and he would be responsible for the damage THAT DAY. I would find that it's the owner's negligence for damages after that first day, since it's the owner's responsibility to check on his property and safeguard it. It would be unfair to hold the pool guy responsible for all damages for who knows how long, because you decided to go on a vacation somewhere instead of returning to this house. I understand you want to blame it on someone else, because the pool guy made the INITIAL mistake. But YOUR mistake takes over after that first day.
Sorry your position is absurd. This is a standard problem for any pool guy and they should be expected to be very careful not to let it occur. That a resident or a noisy neighbor might mitigate the problem is not material. They might not.

And house occupied part of the year are not uncommon. We deal with them all the time. I would expect some of the LV senior housing is 1/4 or more empty half the year. Place is pretty well occupied in January but in August maybe a third are not occupied.

And no amount of caution and presence can prevent a water leak of large proportion. We have a tract where the copper plumbing under the slab sometimes have problems. The way people find out about this is from their water bill. Suddenly you get billed for 50 or 100 thousand gallons more than you normally use. In fact the Las Vegas Valley Water Authority detects this and calls the person to tell them they have a leak. In general they never see any sign of it.

Other leaks people get lucky. water breaks through and floods into the gutters. A neighbor or the HOA calls you to tell you about the problem.

There are reasonable defenses that can and should be used. In fact cutting off the water inside the house is the big one. Ever see what a house looks like after a month of a slow leak? You generally do not turn off external water as the landscaping requires it.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 490,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Unless Brian is a fly by night one man operation, he must be licensed by the city or county to provide these services. He will also have insurance, which will limit his personal liability. At any rate, he made the mistake and he should own it. Sometimes life lessons are hard.
Yes if thatís the case. I already mentioned this earlier about insurance and I donít think he has any or he wouldíve already offered it to take care of this. Heís probably not bonded or anything. Doubt he even has the money at all to pay this whole bill.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM

7,190 posts, read 3,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry your position is absurd. This is a standard problem for any pool guy and they should be expected to be very careful not to let it occur. That a resident or a noisy neighbor might mitigate the problem is not material. They might not.

And house occupied part of the year are not uncommon. We deal with them all the time. I would expect some of the LV senior housing is 1/4 or more empty half the year. Place is pretty well occupied in January but in August maybe a third are not occupied.

And no amount of caution and presence can prevent a water leak of large proportion. We have a tract where the copper plumbing under the slab sometimes have problems. The way people find out about this is from their water bill. Suddenly you get billed for 50 or 100 thousand gallons more than you normally use. In fact the Las Vegas Valley Water Authority detects this and calls the person to tell them they have a leak. In general they never see any sign of it.

Other leaks people get lucky. water breaks through and floods into the gutters. A neighbor or the HOA calls you to tell you about the problem.

There are reasonable defenses that can and should be used. In fact cutting off the water inside the house is the big one. Ever see what a house looks like after a month of a slow leak? You generally do not turn off external water as the landscaping requires it.
Take it to court. You'll see.

An owner is required to mitigate damages. You can't just go off and leave a property for any length of time, and expect someone who made one mistake to pay for, say, foundation repair, because the owner abandoned the property for several months. That's an extreme situation, but you get my point, I'm sure.

That is the law, as far as I understand. Anyone who is damaged by another's negligence is required to mitigate those damages. You can't shirk your responsibility and expect someone else to pay for that part of the damages.

Another example: Your tenant breaks the lease and moves out. You sue to recover the full term of the lease. You won't get it, if you didn't do everything that you reasonably could to find a replacement tenant. You are required to "mitigate" your damages, and not rely on the theory that the other person did something wrong, therefore they owe you for full damages, and you don't have any responsibilities. That's the law...and common sense. (Your theory of "well, other people do it all the time" is irrelevant in the law...and common sense. Didn't your mother ever tell you, "Just because everyone else jumps off a bridge doesn't mean you should.")

Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 PM

682 posts, read 411,356 times
The OP can evidently afford the hit. So take the hit. Pool guy won't make the same mistake. Time to be magnanimous.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,038,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I've been using the Pool Sentry for years. They do break after a while because they are made of plastic so do not put a lot of water pressure to them.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or