U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 06:38 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,523,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Why not shut down the pool completely while you are living mostly away?
Even a closed pool still needs chemicals to prevent it from turning into a cesspool of algae, so we'd still need a pool guy.

But primarily we leave it open because it doesn't get that cold there, and we want to use the pool when we are there.

In a perfect world we wouldn't own a pool unless we lived there full-time, but this is what life has dealt us right now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 AM

13,512 posts, read 18,074,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I wouldn't want a "black mark" on our homeowners policy, but that's a good idea about asking if HE has insurance. Thanks.
What does your homeowners insurance have to do with someone leaving the water on?

You do not sound like you have your ducks in a row. First you confront your pool guy then you remember, then you remember.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What does your homeowners insurance have to do with someone leaving the water on?

You do not sound like you have your ducks in a row. First you confront your pool guy then you remember, then you remember.
I was merely answering someone else's question about whether my homeowners would cover it. I stated that I wouldn't want a black mark on my HO insurance (even if it did cover such a loss, which as you implied, it probably would not.)

And I don't know why you're being so critical of me. As soon as the first water bill came, I let Brian know what it was (I did not "confront" him---I was sweet and understanding and did everything I could to make him not feel bad about his mistake.). The sewer bill had just become a separate entity two months prior, so I wasn't thinking about it being an additional charge. However, when that bill came, I again called and explained to Brian. Then I realized the water was left running over two separate billing cycles. So what?? What ducks in a row? It's a new house, that I've barely lived in since my husband works outside the country, and I don't have all the billing cycles memorized. As I realized the extent of the costs, I continued to keep Brian informed. And I'm inclined to let him off easy. You make it sound like I'm trying to make things up so I can screw him over.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,022,942 times
Quote:
In a perfect world we wouldn't own a pool unless we lived there full-time, but this is what life has dealt us right now.

Life has dealt you a home with a pool?

add up your bills and let the boy work them off if you can afford it. I would be frustrated too. You did say it had happened before with another service. What happened then?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 AM

13,353 posts, read 5,115,885 times
Quote:
I was merely answering someone else's question about whether my homeowners would cover it. I stated that I wouldn't want a black mark on my HO insurance (even if it did cover such a loss, which as you implied, it probably would not.)

And I don't know why you're being so critical of me. As soon as the first water bill came, I let Brian know what it was (I did not "confront" him---I was sweet and understanding and did everything I could to make him not feel bad about his mistake.). The sewer bill had just become a separate entity two months prior, so I wasn't thinking about it being an additional charge. However, when that bill came, I again called and explained to Brian. Then I realized the water was left running over two separate billing cycles. So what?? What ducks in a row? It's a new house, that I've barely lived in since my husband works outside the country, and I don't have all the billing cycles memorized. As I realized the extent of the costs, I continued to keep Brian informed. And I'm inclined to let him off easy. You make it sound like I'm trying to make things up so I can screw him over.
This is one of those stuff happens events. Mostly you live with them.

I would work hard on the sewer bill. Realistically none of that water went into the sewer. Got absorbed into the earth and the local water shed. Some may have ended up in the storm sewers but that is almost always a separate system. So they should have some means of allowing for water not ending in their system. Worse come to worse pay it and then take them to small claims court. Pretty good chance they will settle.

The pool guy is a business not an employee. So he is responsible for the damage done. May even have liability insurance but likely with a significant deductible. And the total payment may be outside his practical limit.

So I would go with say a $50 a month credit for as long as it takes. Leaves you intact and the pool guy.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Life has dealt you a home with a pool?

add up your bills and let the boy work them off if you can afford it. I would be frustrated too. You did say it had happened before with another service. What happened then?
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that does sound like a "first world problem." I'm not like that, I promise. And I know you were just joking, but I just meant it would be easier if we didn't have to live so far away from our house. We will retire there next year, and then we'll be happy to have the pool that we didn't have to pay to install.

With the other service, I said earlier it's a long story, but you asked, so....

Our bills are forwarded to where we live most of the time (in company housing where my husband has been working since January, outside of the US). A very high water bill came in June, when I hadn't been in the states at all for two months. I called our pool lady Tammy and asked if our yard was soggy, thinking maybe the sprinkler system had a huge leak. She said no, she hadn't noticed the yard being wet. So then I was panicking from afar, assuming there was a horrible leak INSIDE our house. I had my son (who lives nearby) go check the house, and he said everything was dry, no toilets running, all was fine. We were stumped as to how so much water was used when no one had been in the house whatsoever, but we were so relieved that our house was fine, that we paid the bill and chalked it up to "a great mystery." (I did ask the water company what could be going on, and they had no ideas for me.)

I ended up letting Tammy go in late June, because I came home and the pool looked horrible (not the first time). That's when I hired Brian.

It wasn't until I found the water left running in August that I realized this is most likely what happened in June. By the time I figured this out, I'd already fired Tammy. I can't prove she ever left the water running, and maybe it was some other "great mystery," but it seems like the most reasonable explanation.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:50 PM

12,949 posts, read 6,654,872 times
This is tough. I honestly wouldn't want to ruin the guy, especially if it was an honest mistake as it seems. But I for damn should wouldn't expect to pay that bill myself as I didn't cause the damage. Still, going after him legally for damages may be worth more money and headache than your water/sewage bills are going to be. I think you need to make clear to him that he needs to pay more than what he's offered to pay (or offer you free services for more than a month if he doesn't want to pay out of pocket) as anything else is unacceptable.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 PM

188 posts, read 18,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would wait until you know the entire cost and I would definitely make him be responsible for the entire cost, but if you would like to cut him some slack as well as show him that you donít intend to fire him, you could spread it out over many months maybe ask him to deduct $50 or $100 off of your monthly bill until itís paid. That way heís not eating it all out of pocket at one time and heís also still getting some cash flow from your business while heís paying it off.

If you want to help him out that would be a nice way to do it, imho.
I think this is a nice way to do it.
Back when I first moved out to SoCal. I had a service business. Firstly, I had liability Insurance. That is something he should realize and maybe this incident will wake him up...Secondly, I made sure I was never in charge of filling the pool. Never. There was an agreement right up front that I would assist but it was ultimately up to the homeowner. Lots of pools have small leaks and you could run the water for hours and never get em full. If I did leave the water trickling, I would leave a note or call the HO. But there was no way I would have never been involved in this situation. Can't believe that nowadays this is an issue, you'd think all pool guys would be smarter....Live and learn....

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I think this is a nice way to do it.
Back when I first moved out to SoCal. I had a service business. Firstly, I had liability Insurance. That is something he should realize and maybe this incident will wake him up...Secondly, I made sure I was never in charge of filling the pool. Never. There was an agreement right up front that I would assist but it was ultimately up to the homeowner. Lots of pools have small leaks and you could run the water for hours and never get em full. If I did leave the water trickling, I would leave a note or call the HO. But there was no way I would have never been involved in this situation. Can't believe that nowadays this is an issue, you'd think all pool guys would be smarter....Live and learn....
I understand you not wanting to take on that risk. But what about snowbirds, or any else who splits their time between two residences, or just someone who is taking a long vacation? You said "you'd think all pool guys would be smarter," but keeping the water level correct is an essential part of caring for a pool, right? What would you suggest in these cases?

Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,216,218 times
When I read the title I thought it was salacious improprieties by your pool boy that ended up with your wife getting pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or