U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

39,889 posts, read 48,390,426 times

Advertisements

This thread has been one of the funniest I've read in a long time. It got me thinking about throwing out all my #2 pencils before I get lead poisoning. Oop's I can't do that, might contaminate the ground outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

15,684 posts, read 25,300,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Given that most of your post is in shouty caps, I think we all get how irate you are over HOAs that ban clotheslines. You should start a petition in your HOA to overturn the ban given the violence of your feelings.

the caps was an oversight, multi tasking, my bad.

i dont have an HOA, i live in the city and we all have clotheslines.,
all the builings have these huge iron ladders in the back of our yards with clothesline atatchecd to them, even the houses do. and if they dont have the lothesline towers, people attatch them to the fire escape, trees, telephone bills, where ever they can, they will attatch it.....

brooklyn NY, everyone (other than the luxury apartment buildings) have clotheslines, its just a common thing here, nobody frowns upon it.
Attached Thumbnails
Should home dryers be banned?-d13e08f0f9b4251c729434146bdb2166.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,667,161 times
I was struck by all the clotheslines in Europe, outside apt. windows or on balconies. Even in very rich areas.
I thought that was just in the movies But their washers are really tiny, in the kitchen often. Even a fancy hotel we stayed in, had drying racks on the balcony.

We didn't have a dryer for decades, but that was in dry-dry desert Utah. We had clotheslines all over the house and once a week, just ducked past the clothes/sheets. We were on solar, so it conserved power. It was too dirty/windy outside for a clothesline.

Now we have a dryer, being in a condo. Once a week is not going to break the bank. But we still hang several items we don't want to shrink---on the shower rail.

I do have fond memories of helping my mom hang clothes outside as a child. The great smell, for one thing.

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

25,533 posts, read 24,427,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No- what people did (and some still do) is hang or rack their clothes in the basement where the old furnace is located. Thatís what we did in WV when we had a wood stove in the unfinished basement.

Problem is, and itís a good problem, modern furnaces generally donít radiate heat, or the units are in small mechanical rooms or even in the attic making indoor Ďold timeí drying a thing of the past.

Me thinks some folks have some skewed sense of reality with this and more than likely never did any of this stuff to begin with.
That's what my mother did. The only difference was that it was a coal furnace.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

11,960 posts, read 8,632,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
...and the washing machine. Let's all grab a washboard and find the nearest creek.

Bet that would cut down on obesity.

My granny and aunts used washboards during the war. They all weighed about 95 pounds. All that washing, carting water and hanging clothes, boiling the sheets and other whites in a black iron pot with a woodfire underneath.

And I thought drying diapers in the oven when it had been raining a week was a PITA.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

16,117 posts, read 13,855,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I guess someone here forgot that some people live in HOA neighborhoods that don't allow clothes lines . What are those people supposed to do ? no you cant ban dryers .
Change the HOA rules? If dryers are banned, then all the homeowners will simply vote to change the rule, that is all.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

11,960 posts, read 8,632,213 times
Anybody here have a heat pump dryer? Do they really take 3-4 hours a load? I have been shopping for one. They are hard to find.

The salespeople tell me to just get a gas dryer because they don't get as hot as electric.

My laundry room is in the middle of the house. The dryer vent runs through the floor joist between the up and downstairs. I can feel the heat when I walk across where the vent runs. I'm heating the house and running the HVAC at the same time.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

8,931 posts, read 13,487,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily.
A burlap sack?

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 863,725 times
Ban clothing dryers? - Is this another brilliant idea out of CA?

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

9,244 posts, read 7,994,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓
Count me...............OUT........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or