U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

1,150 posts, read 452,297 times

Advertisements

We were fancy, lower-middle-class 'mericans when growing up as evidenced by three clotheslines, i.e. one for each kid. My mom always attempted to share the love by giving each of us an equal amount to bring in, fold and put away.

I love the smell of clothes dried outside but, remembering to bring them in when a storm blows up was always an adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

7,728 posts, read 3,166,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would you ban something? Do we now live in a Communist State?
It would be a follow-up home inspection after the visit to collect your guns. Remember, it's for the greater good.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

7,728 posts, read 3,166,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
We were fancy, lower-middle-class 'mericans when growing up as evidenced by three clotheslines, i.e. one for each kid. My mom always attempted to share the love by giving each of us an equal amount to bring in, fold and put away.

I love the smell of clothes dried outside but, remembering to bring them in when a storm blows up was always an adventure.
Goodnight John boy! Sounds like my hillbilly SW Virginia relatives!

Not real practical for working couple in Arlington.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

3,903 posts, read 1,019,107 times
Eco friendly tech design (or lack thereof) assumes itís okay to sacrifice comfort and convenience to make us all live like weíre oppressed CA residents in the middle of a summer drought: rationing water and paying peak rates for electricity.

If LED bulbs start to make economic sense, electricity is too expensive. If running a dryer is too expensive, I can only imagine you donít run your A/C, either. Just like Europe. Moving back to the 1930ís we may as well sell the heat pump, set up a box fan, and hang a wet sheet in the window.

Whatís next? No more room cleanings between hotel guests? Additional fees for fresh towels?

My idea for conservation would address ďmindlessĒ running of water. Foot pedals in new homes not just for kitchen sinks but bathroom sinks and Iím sure some shower adaptations could make sense, too.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,374,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Does he have a dryer at his home?

We hang dry a fair amount of stuff. But it would be a ROYAL PITA to get rid of the dryer. A weeks worth of rain, humid weather, cold weather outdoors...

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

15,899 posts, read 27,058,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
They banned incandescent bulbs. I agree with some bans like ones that would decrease plastic consumption but I still don't understand the banning of incandescent bulbs. The quality of light from incandescent bulbs are better, better for eyes, too, I think. When one of the newer type bulbs breaks you need to be careful handling them because of some of the chemicals.
True, For years though prior to the ban we had florescent and then LED's. My home only has LED lighting in it. Prices have declined to the point that it is economical to go with the LED's

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,450 posts, read 55,421,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
True, For years though prior to the ban we had florescent and then LED's. My home only has LED lighting in it. Prices have declined to the point that it is economical to go with the LED's
I hated the CFLs with their crappy light and some having to warm up, but I love the light from LEDs. We too have all LED now, and love them. If nothing else we don't have to change them when they burn out every few months like the old incandescent bulbs - and they don't get hot.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 580,267 times
I have a gas dryer for 18 years and it is still working. I just use it for heavy items like bath towels and linen.

For all others I hang them. Just put a long metal pole six inches below the ceiling in the laundry room. Put the hangers on the pole. Open the window and the laundry room door so there is convection. Usually all dried after 8 hours.

P.S. Dryers should not be banned. Germs in items like bath towels can only be killed by high heat.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; Yesterday at 01:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,329,652 times
I grew up in northern Florida. We didn't have a dryer, and my mother used a clothesline outside to dry clothes. Trying to dry clothing outside in 90 percent humidity in a place where rainstorms regularly strike is a complete waste of time.

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

23,147 posts, read 17,121,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
You want the people who live in Maine, Alaska, Minnesota, Iceland, Norway, Finland, etc to hang their clothes outside to dry in the winter?

This is what I don't like about people who want to ban things. They can't see outside of their own little world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or