U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 3,122,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Home clothes dryers were unknown when I was a kid. In cold weather, the utility room, the bathroom and sometimes the kitchen in our house were festooned with clothes lines. I still have a big bag full of wooden clothespins. Some are from the wartime period and have no metal springs, but rely on the springiness of the curved wood. We had an Easy washer/agitator, with an open top. Hoses from the faucets at the washtub filled it with hot or cold water. It had a pump to empty it back down the drain and a hand-cranked wringer. That was considered to be state-of-the-art at the time and not every family was so fortunate, to have one. I still have our big, wicker clothes basket and use it to carry things from my electric dryer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

1,307 posts, read 980,013 times
you ever see a thread title that makes you angry, because it is so stupid? This would be one.

You send your Nazi SS Troopers to take my gas dryer away, I'll meet you in the hallway with a loaded 12 gauge.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

6,777 posts, read 2,505,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
True, For years though prior to the ban we had florescent and then LED's. My home only has LED lighting in it. Prices have declined to the point that it is economical to go with the LED's
They are a lot cheaper now, and the few incandescent options out there are so expensive. Pink lightbulbs by GE are the only incandescent lights for sale now, I think - they are more expensive but they are easy on the eyes and make people of a certain age look good.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

763 posts, read 466,281 times
No, because my knee-jerk reaction isn't to ask the government to step in and ban everything that I think is a waste of [energy/money/insert your own thing here].

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

861 posts, read 238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Also .

You "could" use the heat from the dryer to heat the house in the winter.

I say "could" because its somewhat difficult to find some sort of filter for the exhaust air that removes the lint if the hot air is kept inside the house. I tried to find something at HD in the past and the only thing I found was some some flimsy plastic thing that held water.. didnt work very well. Plus its a hassle to switch between venting outside and venting into a filter for inside.
Maybe ithis on is better? I saw this energy saving filter on Amazon- canít vouch for it- did not need one- I have an Automatic washer
https://www.amazon.com/BetterVent-In...SIN=B00Q4X2FSM

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

861 posts, read 238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

My idea for conservation would address ďmindlessĒ running of water. Foot pedals in new homes not just for kitchen sinks but bathroom sinks and Iím sure some shower adaptations could make sense, too.
Our Navy already invented shower adaptation: it is called a ďnavyĒ shower!

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

1,291 posts, read 403,333 times
Ban dryers? That's crazy talk!

Old Today, 05:34 AM

25,540 posts, read 24,435,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Also .

You "could" use the heat from the dryer to heat the house in the winter.

I say "could" because its somewhat difficult to find some sort of filter for the exhaust air that removes the lint if the hot air is kept inside the house. I tried to find something at HD in the past and the only thing I found was some some flimsy plastic thing that held water.. didnt work very well. Plus its a hassle to switch between venting outside and venting into a filter for inside.
I think that it's not one or the other, but both. The dryer still vents out, but your duct opening is closer to the heat source. That's what my Abby Normal brain remembers from research that I did a number of years ago.

Old Today, 06:01 AM

8,731 posts, read 19,439,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I live in the middle of 34 thousand Amish folks. They somehow have managed to dry clothing, bedding, towels, and sheets every weeks, twelve months a year, out on the line, for the last 250 years or so. I have watched Amish women stand on a covered porch and hang laundry on the line, then pull the line around the pulleys and loft the wash high high over the yard. I've seen this countless times in August and January. In perfect weather and driving rain, and even in the middle of snow storms.
True, but they also have awesome (large and heavy duty) drying racks that they place in front of their wood/pellet burning stove or over a gas heating vent ( depending on their Ordung and bishop rules).

But yes, Iíve seen many an Amish line with clothes when itís literally freezing outside. It does help that they have a very limited wardrobe.

Old Today, 06:25 AM

8,731 posts, read 19,439,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
First of all certain places are just not conducive to drying your clothes outside. Namely South Florida where I live. The humidity from May-October is horrible and then we get our daily summertime storms. Second of all towels hung on the line dry stiff even with fabric softener and most towels shouldn't be rinsed with softener as it makes them less absorbent.

And no they shouldn't be "banned". If someone chooses not to use a dryer, fine but don't tell me I can't use one. What's next: no a/c, no washing machines? Let's go back to Little House on the Prairie.
This is simply not true.

I grew up in your area and even though we had a dryer, my mother would hang clothes several times a week. We donít get days of rain and very rarely do we get rains before noon....even during the rainy season. Humidity was never an issue as the clothes were dried by the sun and the breeze. She did have a line under the covered porch for clothes that could be bleached by sun.

If you get your clothes on the line early, theyíd easily be dried before noon. This might be an issue for those who work or donít have helpers, but it can be done the weekends or days off.

I currently live in the Caribbean which similar weather patterns to Florida. I hang all my laundry. Even towels. We have an incredible breeze 364 days out of the year that softens those towels as they dry. I get my laundry on the line by 7, itís done by 830.

On my covered veranda I have a drying rack for items I donít want in the sun... it folds flat and out of the way when not in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or