U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

10,866 posts, read 12,942,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I guess someone here forgot that some people live in HOA neighborhoods that don't allow clothes lines . What are those people supposed to do ? no you cant ban dryers .
Maybe HOA's are the thing that should be banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

3,575 posts, read 6,285,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I live in the middle of the city, in a condo, I dry my items inside.
Single? Try that with 4 kids and a husband who wear work and school clothes and change into play clothes and PJs every day. Then there are the towels and sheets for a family of 6. Not really that much room in most houses to air dry inside. Most yards in Florida getting smaller and smaller too. Also while I am outside hanging the clothes, who is dressing the kids for school, making meals, picking up the house before my husband and I go to work? I can wash and dry clothes and multi-task doing other things that need to be done at the same time.

I will fight anyone who tries to make me do like my mom did when I was a kid. Clothes froze on the line in winter! She always got colds from being outside hanging clothes in 0 weather. She was a SAHM so she could devote a day to wash and dry, a day to iron, a day to wash floors etc. In this world today this is wishful thinking. We do it and work 40-50 hours out of the home to make it possible to afford the cost of living.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

13,702 posts, read 4,128,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe HOA's are the thing that should be banned.
But will we still have to ban dryers? Maybe electricity is the thing that should be banned?

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

10,163 posts, read 4,761,491 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.

Nobody cares what you buy or not. I'm not hanging clothes up to dry.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

8,609 posts, read 7,266,954 times
It’s not feasible for the majority of people. Most people don’t have the space or accommodations to be afforded a drying area.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

1,643 posts, read 1,086,031 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
What about bed sheets and towels?

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

15,380 posts, read 8,784,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
This is simply not true.

I grew up in your area and even though we had a dryer, my mother would hang clothes several times a week. We donít get days of rain and very rarely do we get rains before noon....even during the rainy season. Humidity was never an issue as the clothes were dried by the sun and the breeze. She did have a line under the covered porch for clothes that could be bleached by sun.

If you get your clothes on the line early, theyíd easily be dried before noon. This might be an issue for those who work or donít have helpers, but it can be done the weekends or days off.

I currently live in the Caribbean which similar weather patterns to Florida. I hang all my laundry. Even towels. We have an incredible breeze 364 days out of the year that softens those towels as they dry. I get my laundry on the line by 7, itís done by 830.

On my covered veranda I have a drying rack for items I donít want in the sun... it folds flat and out of the way when not in use.
So WHAT?!

What's with people citing their own particular climate saying how great it is for drying clothes? It's NOT where I live and no, I don't have "helpers" (WTH are those, anyway - neighbor kids?!). And I don't want to get up at 5:00am have all my laundry washed by 7:00am on a Saturday so I can get it out on the line!

Modern conveniences are a godsend and allow me to make a very nice income rather than doing laborious chores that machines are far better suited for.

BTW, I live by a river with great rocks I use to beat my clothes on....no fancy electric washing machine for YOU!

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

7,007 posts, read 3,869,088 times
We should talk about it right after we ban Keurig Coffee Makers and Kale and anything even remotely related to smoothies.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

26,488 posts, read 28,894,341 times
Quote:

It's not your job to tell people what they should or shouldn't do through force of law. We have too much of that already.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

4,092 posts, read 1,756,058 times
Freezing fabric makes colors fade. Nice if you have natural fabric whites, not so good for other clothes.

We had laundry lines in the carport in Hawaii. It usually took three days to dry a load--unless it was raining, when it stayed damp until the rains stopped. And my doctor recommended running them in the dryer for ten minutes afterward, to kill bugs and bacteria.

Here in Tucson, we just drape damp clothes all over, and they're dry in a couple of hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or