U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:29 PM

24,513 posts, read 30,658,289 times

Advertisements

a headline popped up on my cnbc app that says trump is preparing to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes. so here some people are shocked that someone would suggest government ban dryers and yet so many people just sit idly by while the government bans things that it has no right to ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 01:48 PM

4,404 posts, read 1,919,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I have a gas dryer.

Dumb argument.
We have a gas dryer as well.

However, there is a small but growing movement to pan all gas appliances in new homes in CA.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM

8,734 posts, read 19,451,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So WHAT?!

What's with people citing their own particular climate saying how great it is for drying clothes? It's NOT where I live and no, I don't have "helpers" (WTH are those, anyway - neighbor kids?!). And I don't want to get up at 5:00am have all my laundry washed by 7:00am on a Saturday so I can get it out on the line!

Modern conveniences are a godsend and allow me to make a very nice income rather than doing laborious chores that machines are far better suited for.

BTW, I live by a river with great rocks I use to beat my clothes on....no fancy electric washing machine for YOU!
Good Lord! Who pissed in your Cheerios?!?

Did I say to ban dryers? No, I did not. Just because I choose not to use mine all the time doesnít mean you canít! My post was not directed to you, it was a reply to the one I quoted.

Helpers: paid house staff. Neighbor kids? Good grief.

Why are you so outraged by one comment??!! Calm down

Old 09-11-2019, 02:33 PM

5,859 posts, read 4,292,816 times
take away my home dryer and someone is going to get hurt!!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 PM

9,061 posts, read 8,271,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Wet clothes hanging all over a home to dry, is so far out of date, and is not healthy.

My wife and I have had dryers for 70 years and would not do without.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM

11,493 posts, read 20,531,355 times
I haven't read all these many pages but can't believe this thread has gone on this long - what a bizarre question!

Old 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,086,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Rick Steves travels as a way of life. And believes in immersing himself into the daily lives of the locals. It would make sense FOR HIM to only pack one or 2 changes of clothes, and wash in the sink. Keep in mind, he GETS PAID to travel. He's got his system down. That doesn't apply to most of us.

I'm curious Ozzy, let's say I live in a one bedroom 500 sqre foot apartment. Just where exactly, should I hang mine and my families clothes? Am I allowed to use the laundry facilities in the apartment complex?
I wonder how he travels? By plane? hmmmm.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:07 PM

45,996 posts, read 37,112,211 times
My goodness, I'm feeling luckier and luckier to have BOTH options - a dryer and plenty of room and sunshine outside to air dry when I prefer (which is often). OH - and the TIME to air dry if I want to. Because it does take more time.

My aunt lives in Louisiana. I will never forget visiting her for a few days in the late spring. It was plenty hot outside - but it was so humid it was ridiculous. I remember that she had some items hanging outside on the line and they were still WET at the end of the day, even though they were hanging in the sun and heat all day long.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 PM

6,954 posts, read 4,310,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My aunt lives in Louisiana. I will never forget visiting her for a few days in the late spring. It was plenty hot outside - but it was so humid it was ridiculous. I remember that she had some items hanging outside on the line and they were still WET at the end of the day, even though they were hanging in the sun and heat all day long.
My brother-in-law lived for several years, as a young man, right on the Gulf near the Texas/Louisiana border. He told me that every time he took a shower, he had to decide at what point to give up trying to dry off any more.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM

45,996 posts, read 37,112,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My brother-in-law lived for several years, as a young man, right on the Gulf near the Texas/Louisiana border. He told me that every time he took a shower, he had to decide at what point to give up trying to dry off any more.
OMG that region is so humid it's ridiculous. I am used to humidity and it takes a LOT to even register with me so if I say, Wow, it's so humid out here - I mean it, it IS.

Louisiana and the coast of SC are two of the most humid places I've ever experienced. I was like "Lord, have mercy on me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or