U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:54 PM

39,876 posts, read 48,369,643 times

Advertisements

Most HOA's don't allow hanging clothes outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:54 PM

38,891 posts, read 56,715,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Try drying clothes outside in Montana from, oh, Mid-November thru May.
Sure, you can get your clothes dry naturally even through a cold winter.
Just remember that you'll need more time for the clothes to dry, so hang as early in the day as you can and leave until late. If there's a breeze, you're in luck; agitation speeds up the process. Avoid hanging on damp, grey days when the moisturize that needs to evaporate from the clothing has nowhere to go.
So, check the weather - if it's sunny and breezy, you can air dry your clothes even in cold winter.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 03:55 PM

21,502 posts, read 12,132,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Yep, it does sound right. Unless I get to ban pickles because I think they are gross. Or maybe I'm a mature adult who understands that some people don't want to eat pickles and no one is forcing them to, but other people actually enjoy them.

Old Today, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓
Lol!! Ban A/C in the South and wait for a civil war!!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Today, 04:00 PM

16,076 posts, read 13,841,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dryers damage fabrics and use energy, yes - but they are necessary if you live in a city, don't have garden/patio/balcony and/or not enough clothes or other items to wait for those to be air dried.
I don't have dryer by choice, but I understand that other people need it, and wouldn't demand that they stop buying/using them.
Not having dryer by choice is more common in other countries, even highly developed in EU, but this is America and asking to stop using washer, dryer, dishwasher, TV, computer/smart phone is not debatable.
I live in the middle of the city, in a condo, I dry my items inside.

Old Today, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
True, that what I do in rainy days BUT moving clothes from washer to
dryer takes 5 second vs hanging them on a line which would take 10 -15 min. Most people are too busy for that, or too tired, or don't want to have several clothes drying racks set-up in their rooms. Remember, US washers are huge compared to those in countries where people air dry their laundry.

Old Today, 04:25 PM

10,987 posts, read 15,383,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓
They could also build outhouses like the good ole' days; and go down to the Y for showers. Look at how much $$ they would save, eh ?

Old Today, 04:27 PM

1,157 posts, read 326,376 times
Quote:

I once hand-washed a lightweight T-shirt in Scotland because I wanted to wear it the next day. The next morning I'm not sure it was any more dry than the day before. Pretty gross. I had to let it sit there 2-3 days-- can't remember if it smelled musty by that time.

And you've clearly never been to my place when the dryer hasn't worked for some reason and I've got socks hanging over every chair and guitar stand and doorknob in the place. Doing that on a regular basis? No thanks. I've got two drying racks and still have to get creative with where I have a load of laundry hanging all over the place like a thrift store exploded.

Old Today, 04:51 PM

16,715 posts, read 16,850,373 times
Oh brother, a huge and thriving black-market for dryers would be the result, The Goonvernment responds by developing swat-teams to go after those suspected Criminals who are using dryers!!

Old Today, 05:00 PM

165 posts, read 40,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol!! Ban A/C in the South and wait for a civil war!!
LMAO
they do make heat pump dryers that work great and they don't tear up your clothes like regular dryers do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or