U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

1,855 posts, read 646,442 times

Advertisements

I think it should be personal choice. I'd like to air dry outdoors but too much nature from flying things to plant, flower, wood dust. So I dry indoors. Then fluff up few minutes in the dryer and mostly fold while warm flattening out the creases so many items look like they've had some ironing. There are some things that do need an actual hot iron or steamer touch up now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

32,633 posts, read 60,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity.
Clothes dryers are not a requirement in any household. Don't wanna spend the money on electricity? Don't use the dryer.

Dumb idea.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

6,053 posts, read 5,003,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I live in the middle of the city, in a condo, I dry my items inside.
Well I suppose that would be great if I did laundry everyday. I generally have more than 7 days worth of clothes for two people to wash. Where inside would I hang all that? What about people with 4 kids?

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
46H

1,006 posts, read 613,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.

You need to get your hearing checked.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

15,360 posts, read 8,770,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People air dry clothes in Europe during winter. Practically no problem, but surely not everyone's in the US preference.
I know! And they don't have air conditioning (and all kinds of other stuff). I have a feeling they'd love to have both if practical for their home setup and utility budget.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

38,897 posts, read 56,732,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Then fluff up few minutes in the dryer and mostly fold while warm flattening out the creases so many items look like they've had some ironing.
You can pre-order this
https://foldimate.com/
and eliminate folding
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

38,897 posts, read 56,732,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I know! And they don't have air conditioning (and all kinds of other stuff). I have a feeling they'd love to have both if practical for their home setup and utility budget.
You think they don't have them because they are poor? lol
No, they'd love to have both. In most cases, it's a personal choice.
But I wouldn't expect it to be a personal choice in the US.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,223,862 times
Hell no.

I hate drying clothes on the line. Dryers are much better, and the electricity use isn't that bad.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

780 posts, read 193,034 times
Good luck drying your stuff most months in the PNW!

When I lived in SoCal, I hung out a lot of the laundry, especially towels, they smelled so good!

I did have a clothes dryer in SoCal that used natural gas, not electric, like my current dryer does. Like all electric appliances, including the stove, I hate it. Gas is cheaper & more efficient, usually. Fortunately, kwh aren’t insanely expensive where I now live.

I remember seeing clothe-lines in parts of Europe, Italy in particular that were on a pulley between apartments buildings, but it was very hot there. Same with Asia & Latin America. Also, maybe people there are more honest. In the USA, someone would likely steal your underwear.

Last edited by happygrrrl; Yesterday at 08:32 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

851 posts, read 236,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓
Please, no - we donít know how to make candles anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or