U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

560 posts, read 114,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You think they don't have them because they are poor? lol
No, they'd love to have both. In most cases, it's a personal choice.
Not necessarily. The manufacturing, energy efficiency and building regulations may limit what kind of dryers and air-con units are available or could be fitted. As a UK resident, the latter (until recent heat waves down south) weren't even that big of a deal. The climate and the way our houses are heated don't really necessitate them. The dryers on the other hand are a different story. For the most part, the space constraints and prohibitive energy costs mean that their function is fulfilled by dual function washing machines. These compared to the US stand-alone dryers take about 3 or 4 times, if not longer, to dry items, so the tendency is to dry clothes outside, where and when possible, or inside using drying racks or radiators. For larger items, there are always laundrettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

852 posts, read 236,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
oh...so we should ban dryers AND require everyone to wear certain fabrics?
Not only that- but why not go a step further- each person would only be allowed 2 sets of clothing- one clean, the second - in the wash? Make the third set of clothing- illegal to own!
That may actually help to stop the opioid crisis- peddling illegal panties would become more profitable for underwear dealers!

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 23,462,000 times
I'd love to have a dryer in my home. I don't have that option right now, but I'd never support a ban on my right to have one.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

1,905 posts, read 658,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
They could also build outhouses like the good ole' days; and go down to the Y for showers. Look at how much $$ they would save, eh ?
Good thinking, itís just another way to save electricity!

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

6,756 posts, read 2,502,765 times
I remember my grandmother went onto the rooftop to hang clothes to dry and she got to talk with the neighbors, too. I think that is a good idea sometimes, well not on a rooftop anymore but in the yard, but it really depends on where you live. Sometimes if you live in the city and there is a lot of pollution and construction going on, then I would think twice about that, but I like drying clothes naturally instead of in the dryer sometimes because there are no wrinkles, also some materials are really delicate and can't take the rough and tumble of a dryer.

I don't want to ban dryers.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

90 posts, read 12,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Itís 100% right. I donít want my laundry hanging all over my house dripping water on the floors. Honestly, the concept of ďbanningĒ something for some random reason is quite possibly the root of all evil in this world right now.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,463,286 times
Sometimes I feel we are going backwards instead of forward. If you don't want to use a dryer - don't - but don't try to speak for the rest of us or push your beliefs on other people.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,960,693 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
So not only do we not get to have a dryer, we have to buy ugly, quick drying travel clothes? BTW--guess what they use to produce the fabric for those quick drying fabrics? Petroleum. Certainly no better for the environment.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

36,629 posts, read 10,850,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓
...and the washing machine. Let's all grab a washboard and find the nearest creek.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

710 posts, read 1,356,000 times
Quote:
So? I donít give a damn what you buy and I donít give a damn if you donít like what I buy. Butt out of peopleís business and fix your own damn life.. or donít.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or