U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

1,818 posts, read 854,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
We live in a 2BR 1 bath house. There's no place inside to hang sheets to dry. We also wash once a week, and that's too many clothes to hang up inside. I'll keep my gas dryer, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

10,865 posts, read 12,929,946 times
Well, I suppose it's a good thing some of you weren't around in the days before automatic dryers were invented. You would never have survived.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

612 posts, read 710,978 times
Quote:
I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.

It doesn't really matter what you "buy" and it "doesn't sound right" that you get to decide what's in someone else's best interest by banning or regulating this or that.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

15,674 posts, read 17,998,772 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

Rick Steves is talking about living out of a carry-on bag. Washing a single change of clothes and maybe an extra pair of underwear and socks, not a week's worth of laundry for a family of four.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

13,542 posts, read 4,109,303 times
If we banned washers too we could really save electric.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

18,825 posts, read 20,788,617 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?

Yeah that might work when itís 90* out. So how about when itís raining cold or snowing. This banning home dryers makes about as much sense as banning cow farts

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

1,016 posts, read 902,934 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
Well donít use your dryer then. I will gladly use your electricity that you decided not to use to dry my familyís laundry. Itís a win win for both of us.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

7,247 posts, read 1,873,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Only in Cali!!!
Because everything else is...

In Arizona air drying makes sense

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 773,863 times
Quote:
Well, I suppose it's a good thing some of you weren't around in the days before automatic dryers were invented. You would never have survived.
Well, there's a leap of "logic."

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,418,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, you can get your clothes dry naturally even through a cold winter.
Just remember that you'll need more time for the clothes to dry, so hang as early in the day as you can and leave until late. If there's a breeze, you're in luck; agitation speeds up the process. Avoid hanging on damp, grey days when the moisturize that needs to evaporate from the clothing has nowhere to go.
So, check the weather - if it's sunny and breezy, you can air dry your clothes even in cold winter.
You forgot about the part where the wet clothes freeze before they dry. Or the difficulty with clothespins while wearing mittens or ski gloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or