U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:21 AM

481 posts, read 582,685 times

Advertisements

If things go according to plan, we will be drying clothes on a line next year. But its a unique situation of only doing this from May until October. This is at a fairly small cabin (but lots of land) at around 8700 ft elevation in Colorado where we will spend the summer so low humidity but common afternoon T showers. We are trying this partly because the only good spot for any sort of good dryer would require a new run for 220 VAC wiring and I would have to use one of those bottom washing machine / top dryer which Im not real fond of.

So.. Im going to build a clothes line. I have a nice spot picked out that is convenient just out a door that is fairly close to the washing machine.

We only need to wash cloths for my wife and I and it probably helps to be retired and have the extra time to deal with this. We are also both old enough to remember growing up with clothes line drying. And we have a spot that will not bother anyone.

Oddly enough.. my wife is going along with this a little bit unusual idea..

Took this picture this morning of where Im thinking of putting the clothes lines.. And I like the idea of not using the electricity (typically dryers use about 3 KW when being used).

Attached Thumbnails
Should home dryers be banned?-gopr1328.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:30 AM

10,848 posts, read 5,092,122 times
First of all certain places are just not conducive to drying your clothes outside. Namely South Florida where I live. The humidity from May-October is horrible and then we get our daily summertime storms. Second of all towels hung on the line dry stiff even with fabric softener and most towels shouldn't be rinsed with softener as it makes them less absorbent.

And no they shouldn't be "banned". If someone chooses not to use a dryer, fine but don't tell me I can't use one. What's next: no a/c, no washing machines? Let's go back to Little House on the Prairie.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

13,303 posts, read 9,015,958 times
Did you guys know how much electricity some of our wasteful tech uses? Bitcoin consumes something like all of the electricity of multiple countries just to maintain the e-currency.

Old Today, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,415 posts, read 55,390,627 times
Based our number of loads and the 3 kWh our electric dryer uses at $0.30 per load, it's costing us about under $100/ year. That's a small price to pay for the convenience, having the clothes wrinkle free and soft. Here we get rain 10 months of the year normally though this year it's been every month so clotheslines are out of the question. We just got our bill for the gas and electric combined for August and it was the lowest ever in our 26 years in this 3,000 sf house, $75. The difference for us is having replaced all of the windows with triple pane.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

435 posts, read 126,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, you can get your clothes dry naturally even through a cold winter.
Just remember that you'll need more time for the clothes to dry, so hang as early in the day as you can and leave until late. If there's a breeze, you're in luck; agitation speeds up the process. Avoid hanging on damp, grey days when the moisturize that needs to evaporate from the clothing has nowhere to go.
So, check the weather - if it's sunny and breezy, you can air dry your clothes even in cold winter.

I live in the middle of 34 thousand Amish folks. They somehow have managed to dry clothing, bedding, towels, and sheets every weeks, twelve months a year, out on the line, for the last 250 years or so. I have watched Amish women stand on a covered porch and hang laundry on the line, then pull the line around the pulleys and loft the wash high high over the yard. I've seen this countless times in August and January. In perfect weather and driving rain, and even in the middle of snow storms.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,847,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?
I think you should look on your dryer for the right settings to avoid this. I only buy very simple, basic models, but mine have always had the choice of high heat for cottons with an optimal setting or an easy care option that has a cool down, to get rid of the wrinkles. The sensors work very well and I never have to add more time, clothes always come out wrinkle free and soft. I never use the timed cycle.

I've never considered a clothesline. I haven't lived in a neighborhood in the last 40 years that would allow it. I'll hang a couple of delicate items up to dry in the laundry room. I wouldn't be surprised if clothes hung outside would come in dirtier from the woods and birds or faded from the hot sun. Then I'd have to start over.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

591 posts, read 334,198 times
Threads like this make me think internet forums should be banned.

Old Today, 08:50 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,135,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Well, I suppose it's a good thing some of you weren't around in the days before automatic dryers were invented. You would never have survived.
Oh, I was around in the days before automatic dryers. I remember hanging sheets and towels out on the line and having them dry in the freezing weather stiff as a board, then bringing them in to iron the sheets. What fun! What nostalgia! What BS! Look, I'm 69 now and I've earned the right to toss my laundry from the washer right into the dryer, then fold the sweet-smelling soft, wrinkle-free laundry and put it away within the comfort of my house with no dripping and no freezing my tuchis off outside. You do you - I'm happy.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

41,887 posts, read 3,191,451 times
Pooh on that. SOme years ago, when California was going though an energy crisi, we were asked to cut back on electrical use. So being a good citizen, I hung hte laundry out to dry in our backyard. Well, it did not save any electricity, as most of it got pooped on by birds, so I had to rewash them all.

I also have no desire to hang my undies around the house, in plain view of any visitors.

When we go on extended trips, abroad, I will wash undies & clothes every night & they are normally dry by morning, this helps as I only sometimes travel with a carry on & a small bag.

Old Today, 09:15 AM

4,390 posts, read 7,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, aren’t these a waste of electricity ❓❓
By all means! We could cook with wood!!!!! THAT would clean things up good and proper! All natural!

Ban airplanes too. And internal combustion engines. And oil and gas and coal and nuke. The 1700s were a great time to live!

Just cut to the chase and ban Western Civilization, because ultimately that's what this is all about. Make the entire planet third-to-sixth world **** holes. It's progress, progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or