U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:55 AM

10,848 posts, read 5,092,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I live in the middle of 34 thousand Amish folks. They somehow have managed to dry clothing, bedding, towels, and sheets every weeks, twelve months a year, out on the line, for the last 250 years or so. I have watched Amish women stand on a covered porch and hang laundry on the line, then pull the line around the pulleys and loft the wash high high over the yard. I've seen this countless times in August and January. In perfect weather and driving rain, and even in the middle of snow storms.
Well that is their choice. They also don't drive cars so should we ban the driving of vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:57 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,721,888 times
We dry some of our clothes outside in the summer, but we live in TX, and we'll have a week or two at a time with no rain and clear skies at about 100 degrees, so it's easy to do. We don't do that in the winter.

We don't do it to save energy really either, we do it because it's easier on bigger items like towels, jeans, and long sleeve shirts. In the summer, with the A/C running all the time, I doubt it makes a noticeable difference in our bill.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

10,848 posts, read 5,092,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can pre-order this
https://foldimate.com/
and eliminate folding
Oh My! I want one of those. I hate folding clothes but I do it the minute the dryer stops so I don't have to iron.

Old Today, 09:59 AM

24,470 posts, read 30,630,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
banned? who has the right to ban people from using certain appliances? when exactly did people hand over control of their lives to some central organization that has so much power over what we do?

Old Today, 10:22 AM

7,205 posts, read 2,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Why not ban microwaves and electric stoves and ranges, we could all cook outside and wash dishes by hand and candles for lighting, arenít these a waste of electricity ❓❓

And TV's. Don't forget those. And video games. Surely THEY'RE a waste...and let's see, lamps in residences after 10:00PM. Y'all should be in bed by then. ;-P

Old Today, 10:24 AM

15,681 posts, read 25,296,146 times
I dont think they should be banned, but i do think that everyone that has a backyard should have the right to hang thier clothes on a clothesline if they want to.

the HOA BS in regards to not allowing them has got to be the most dumbest rule ever created.

All the people that talk about global warming and going green, the simplest solution is to put up a clothesline, so simple.

ofcourse there are places where it is impossioble to have a clothesline, and that happens, but anyone with a house and a back yard, there should be no reason why they cant have one.

living in Arizona, california, all the desert climates, i couldnt imagine in a million years putting clothes in a dryer when they will dry outside in a matter if minutes.

of course there are people that just dont like the feel of clothes dried outside, and that happens also, but the HOA BS telling people they cannot have a clothesline in thier won back yard is BS as far as im concerned, and that should not be allowed. As long as it isnt viseable from the street, there should be no reason why people cant have one. man makes up the most dumbest rules ever...

I have a clothesline, I will always have a clothesline and don't own a dryer, thats my personal preferance. im a city dweller and most of us here do have clotheslines. I think if I was a billionare I still would have a clothesline.
Also, clothes do dry outside when its 32 degrees. nothing better than line dried sweater in the better cold they smell so goood coming off the line.

I think dryers are the biggest waste of money, my SIL bough a dryer for 800.00 and i laughed and said, geez, i hope it fold the clothes for you as well.....
800.00 for a dryer, omg.......

but, its all personal preferance, some people just dont like to take the time to hang clothes, and I get it, i just think if someone has a back yeard and want a clothes line there should be no one in the world that should tell them no, you cant have one.''
Attached Thumbnails
Should home dryers be banned?-backyard-2.jpg  

Old Today, 10:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 790,687 times
Why is the knee jerk reaction to everything that it should be banned? If you don't want to use it, then don't. Imposing your personal problem on the entire population is wrong in so many ways.

Old Today, 10:41 AM

435 posts, read 126,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well that is their choice. They also don't drive cars so should we ban the driving of vehicles?
Who twisted your panties? Talk about a completely unnecessary response.

First, my comment was regarding the fact that you can indeed line dry clothing all year round, even in northern climates. I have an electric dryer that gets used hard, and couldn't care less who uses a dryer. Finally, there is a HUGE vehicle for hire network here that transports plain sect people all over the region and beyond. Including vacations all over North America. Some Amish folks own large passenger vans, and many others own heavy trucks for their businesses.

Old Today, 10:45 AM

6,752 posts, read 4,680,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Please, no - we donít know how to make candles anymore!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Why is the knee jerk reaction to everything that it should be banned? If you don't want to use it, then don't. Imposing your personal problem on the entire population is wrong in so many ways.
Too many people conflating their personal preferences/opinions into moral issues. Donít like dryers? Donít use one, but stop believing it makes you morally superior than those who do. Same can be said about a whole host of other ďissuesĒ.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

10,991 posts, read 15,387,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
By all means! We could cook with wood!!!!! THAT would clean things up good and proper! All natural!

Ban airplanes too. And internal combustion engines. And oil and gas and coal and nuke. The 1700s were a great time to live!

Just cut to the chase and ban Western Civilization, because ultimately that's what this is all about. Make the entire planet third-to-sixth world **** holes. It's progress, progress.

Still LOL'ing ..... how true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or