Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
In most places any more, you would be fined for hanging clothes outside to dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
I have tried winter line drying where I live. If it is cold & humid, clothes will not dry. They will freeze. "Freeze drying" can happen in cold, dry conditions. But even then, sunlight is a big component & clothes sometimes dry on one side & get a layer of ice on the "dark" side, so you have to flip everything at some point. AND, your hands will hurt. By the end of a load of clothes, my hands were so painful, I could hardly open the door to get in the house. It is NOT convenient, it is NOT easy.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

This post gave me a Forrest Whitaker eye.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i find it interesting that people are so offended by this suggestion. i am offended but i generally dont believe that the government has the right to ban almost anything. however, i feel like people are less supportive of banning things that they use while they still may favor banning things that only a small % of the population use. as if that is any more appropriate.

government is just a service provider; not an overlord.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:47 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
Dont take away the dryers!!! But alot of fires start from dryers. Some people should have THERE dryers removed from there homes until they get some training

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Dont take away the dryers!!! But alot of fires start from dryers. Some people should have THEIR dryers removed from their homes until they get some training
I fixed it for you!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.

Rick Steves travels as a way of life. And believes in immersing himself into the daily lives of the locals. It would make sense FOR HIM to only pack one or 2 changes of clothes, and wash in the sink. Keep in mind, he GETS PAID to travel. He's got his system down. That doesn't apply to most of us.

I'm curious Ozzy, let's say I live in a one bedroom 500 sqre foot apartment. Just where exactly, should I hang mine and my families clothes? Am I allowed to use the laundry facilities in the apartment complex?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:

Why would you ban something? Do we now live in a Communist State?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would you ban something? Do we now live in a Communist State?
They banned incandescent bulbs. I agree with some bans like ones that would decrease plastic consumption but I still don't understand the banning of incandescent bulbs. The quality of light from incandescent bulbs are better, better for eyes, too, I think. When one of the newer type bulbs breaks you need to be careful handling them because of some of the chemicals.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:

Yes, ban anything that annoys anyone. You worry about your electric bill and I'll worry about mine.

Next, you'll have an opinion on outboard motor HP .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House