Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 06:46 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Good Lord! Who pissed in your Cheerios?!?

Did I say to ban dryers? No, I did not. Just because I choose not to use mine all the time doesn’t mean you can’t! My post was not directed to you, it was a reply to the one I quoted.

Helpers: paid house staff. Neighbor kids? Good grief.

Why are you so outraged by one comment??!! Calm down
Naaaaahhhh, I don't believe I will - it doesn't matter whether your comment was directed at me. It is irrelevant whether your climate is perfect to dry clothes outside. Your climate and your "living situation" - including access to "helpers" is in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Naaaaahhhh, I don't believe I will - it doesn't matter whether your comment was directed at me. It is irrelevant whether your climate is perfect to dry clothes outside. Your climate and your "living situation" - including access to "helpers" is in the minority.
Minority? Really?

I doubt that my mother is the only person in S Florida (or the whole state) that hangs clothes and I know that I’m not the only person in this island who does the same (even though we have a dryer). Which is relevant to the post I quoted and replied to and you decided to hijack.

I also know plenty of people on the island, and off, who have housekeepers/maids/helpers/servants or whatever you want to call them.

I’d hate to see how you react over a thread that really mattered to mankind....you need to chill.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
What about bed sheets and towels?
People can at least use more moderation in this.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you mean by this--they should wash and dry their sheets and towels less often?

Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,792 times
Quote:
No. They can't. Dude - this post got ratioed like crazy. Accept the fact that technology improved lives. Move on.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 AM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
I think a better idea than banning is to make them available for those who want to use them and let those who think air drying is a better and more ecological method to go for it. It's not like having dryers available removes air drying as an option. Freedom of choice. To each his/her own.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:45 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Really? So I guess it never rains where you live and you never see humidity over 80% regularly. Some clothes can easily dry without the dryer. However some communities have banned drying clothes outside.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Minority? Really?

I doubt that my mother is the only person in S Florida (or the whole state) that hangs clothes and I know that I’m not the only person in this island who does the same (even though we have a dryer). Which is relevant to the post I quoted and replied to and you decided to hijack.

I also know plenty of people on the island, and off, who have housekeepers/maids/helpers/servants or whatever you want to call them.

I’d hate to see how you react over a thread that really mattered to mankind....you need to chill.
This is my point - you can't think outside of Florida/"tropics" - there's a whole, big world beyond you and most of it is to the north. Everyone needs to be considered if we're talking about a ban which I believe is the subject line of this thread.

And let's do a poll on cd of the percentage of people who have "servants" to hang laundry for them.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:32 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
Not banned. They are useful for many people, esp those w/a large household.

I don't have one, though. I'm single, so it's not a problem to hang things to dry. When I did have a dryer, I didn't use it for underwear and a lot of clothes, because dryers were hard on those things. I also switched to a front load washer because it's not as hard on clothes. My delicates will last for years, decades in some instances, as a consequence.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Quote:
This is simply not true.

I grew up in your area and even though we had a dryer, my mother would hang clothes several times a week. We don’t get days of rain and very rarely do we get rains before noon....even during the rainy season. Humidity was never an issue as the clothes were dried by the sun and the breeze. She did have a line under the covered porch for clothes that could be bleached by sun.

If you get your clothes on the line early, they’d easily be dried before noon. This might be an issue for those who work or don’t have helpers, but it can be done the weekends or days off.

I currently live in the Caribbean which similar weather patterns to Florida. I hang all my laundry. Even towels. We have an incredible breeze 364 days out of the year that softens those towels as they dry. I get my laundry on the line by 7, it’s done by 830.

On my covered veranda I have a drying rack for items I don’t want in the sun... it folds flat and out of the way when not in use.
Bet your laundry smells amazingly fresh! Envy you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House