U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 PM

14,252 posts, read 20,814,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
but everything that's produced today is ready for the landfill as soon as you plug it in
Not true.
Sub-Zero has a 5/12 year warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 AM

26 posts, read 5,678 times
Not sure if im right, but these days its better to buy new things then fix old ones as the cost of fixing or repair ends up being more or less the same as buying a new one or even more at times.... Its like this in my country especially with cell phones better to buy a new one then fix an old one (cost wise its better not sure if its same in your countries )

Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM

194 posts, read 46,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not true.
Sub-Zero has a 5/12 year warranty.
that's on the sealed system. though they do have a two year warranty on the entire unit parts and labor

Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM

9,792 posts, read 7,412,506 times
Quote:
that's on the sealed system. though they do have a two year warranty on the entire unit parts and labor

Samsung runs a longer warranty on the sealed system as well.. Most places do. So, if OP has a leak that's in the compressor.. I can't remember if Samsung's sealed warranty is 5 or 10 years.. But there's a chance that it could be covered.

And.. Yeah.. Stay away from Samsung. For everything. Their engineering is faulty.. I mean, you can look back at the times they used the wrong value capacitors in TVs, causing them to fail.. Their stuff looks pretty, but is massively expensive and won't last. Plus, it's so technical that Joe the Repairman really can't make heads or tails of it.

People laugh at me because I have a 20+ year old Hotpoint, no frills Fridge. standard top freezer model. But short of an evap fan I had to replace, and me still needing to blow out the drain on it (Which I've needed to do for years) I haven't had a single problem from it.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM

7,853 posts, read 3,210,457 times
Quote:
leaning at whirlpool never had any issues with them in the past!!! but everything that's produced today is ready for the landfill as soon as you plug it in
Me too. May pop for its nicer cousin, Kitchenaid.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM

26,840 posts, read 63,875,999 times
Our fridge is 92 years old. It has not significantly broken since we have had it (about 10 -14 years), but if it breaks we will have it fixed. It is pretty simple, so fixing it will likely cost less than buying another one.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Me too. May pop for its nicer cousin, Kitchenaid.
i love kitchen aid. i have a dishwasher from them that's made by hobart that's 20 something years old and never any issues it just works. i will when that finally croaks

Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM

i had someone come out today and give me an estimate. they said there was a freon leak somewhere in it as well as the pba inverter was starting to go along with a mother board. ugh. once i heard how much the test was to check and see where the freon leak is i said junk it LOL. 450.00 to cheak for a leak i guess they use a special dye and light to look for the leak and that takes 24 hrs let alone what he said the compressor would cost my mouth dropped to the floor when he told me 750.00- 1000.00 smakers not to mention the rest. the tech even told me to get rid of the nightmare and buy a whirlpool unit

Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I can't wait until my 6 year old Samsung dies. It is by far the noisiest fridge I ever owned. It has some positives, like it's big and bright and holds temp well, but the rattling, whirring and buzzing drives me up the wall. Never again Samsung!
my sammy was quiet i don't even know it's there i could put it next to my bed and not know it's there that's how quiet it is

Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM

22,870 posts, read 14,973,810 times
Quote:
glad you think so LG lifes garbage and samsung are both junk. to be honest LG is the old goldstar from the 90's with a different badge. and FYI samsung and LG are sister companies!!! i won't buy crap from them again!!! try getting one serviced or parts for that matter it can be a real nightmare.
Samsung and LG are both South Korean, but they are rivals. I don’t know what you mean by “sister companies.” They are separate.

Samsung has a bad rep with unavailable parts for repair.

But let me tell you about my old Whirlpool oven. It locked up during a cycle and would not release or cool down. We had to flip its circuit. Whirlpool replaced the electronics for free. All was well for another couple of years. Then it refused to turn off after baking, and locked up. That was enough for us. We later found out that this is a known issue for WP ovens of that vintage. Imagine having a holiday meal in the oven that you can’t get out of the oven!

Why should I buy another Whirlpool?

We bought LG washer and dryer a little over two years ago. They work fine. Consumer Reports published results of a survey which placed LG appliances in general above average in reliability. We replaced oven, micro and fridge with LG. We replaced dishwasher with Bosch.

I am going to be honest. I am unhappy that new fridges require replacement of filters every six months. This seems to me to be a way to extract more revenue. But they do have this requirement. My LG fridge is fine but it is early days. I love oven and micro though. They are beautiful and functional.

How will they hold up? I do not know. But I sure was not rewarding Whirlpool for producing a messed up oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or