U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 AM

586 posts, read 419,984 times

Advertisements

Since 2015 year, Consumer Reports have rated LG appliances more-reliable than Whirlpool. Times have changed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 PM

480 posts, read 1,048,383 times
Didn't Red Dragon or Samsung or one of those take over whirlpool?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM

870 posts, read 305,247 times
LG is crap.

We have had mechanics out for our Kenmore/LG fridge MULTIPLE times.... don't ask. Anyway, we chat up the technicians, and they say they get the fewest calls on Whirlpool and Samsung fridges. I do not love my Samsung washing machine, so I'm shy about another Samsung appliance, but it has gotten good reviews and the techs say they are more reliable.

FWIW, we got a top CR-rated fridge and it has sucked more than you can even imagine. So CR is not my buddy these days, either. I'd rather listen to the guys who go out and fix these things every day.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM

183 posts, read 43,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
LG is not GE.
LG and samsung are sister companies

Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
LG is crap.

We have had mechanics out for our Kenmore/LG fridge MULTIPLE times.... don't ask. Anyway, we chat up the technicians, and they say they get the fewest calls on Whirlpool and Samsung fridges. I do not love my Samsung washing machine, so I'm shy about another Samsung appliance, but it has gotten good reviews and the techs say they are more reliable.

FWIW, we got a top CR-rated fridge and it has sucked more than you can even imagine. So CR is not my buddy these days, either. I'd rather listen to the guys who go out and fix these things every day.
samsung is only good when it works but when it breaks down forget it there a nightmare. i know back in the day samjunk used to not stock parts for repairs i don't know how they are now

Last edited by sxmfan2018; 09-10-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I think Whirlpool appliances are the same as Sears. Myself, I would probably go with an LG, which is General Electric.
the new kenmore looks like LG or samjunk. maybe whirlpool lost the rights to the kenmore name

Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM

wound up buying a whirpool model WRS311SDHB side by side from lowes today it gets good reviews

Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
LG is crap.

funny when i asked the sales rep at home depot i asked what brand do you guys get more calls for returns on he said samjunk. i asked the tech today what brands he got the most calls on and he said samjunk and lg and told me to buy a whirlpool model instead as far as reliability ide be happier

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM

26,449 posts, read 33,477,703 times
I have had my Kenmore (which is made by WP) fridge for 12 years. Not one single issue. I love it. Whirlpool washer and dryer - washer lasted 17 years. Dryer is 21 and still running. No issues at all with Whirlpool.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 6,854,704 times
Quote:
LG is crap.

I bought a new fridge this year (22cf bottom freezer, double-door top fridge), to replace an aging 10cf model that was purchased to fit a built-in nook in my other house. I have a sub to CR and checked out their ratings on various models. Samsung and LG seemed to be rated highly and I am familiar with some of their other products with which I have had no issues. But I wasn't content to depend solely on CR- I wanted info from people who had actually purchased them...and the reviews by other CR subscribers were overwhelmingly bad- many complaints about breakdowns combined with little/no/much delayed/inadequate service response and unresolved issues.

As near as I can tell, CR is useless for things like this. I get the impression that their ratings are based solely on testing of brand new units and they couldn't give a flying fung about long-term reliability and dependability, or the real experiences of actual *consumers*. I have zero faith in them. I cannot fathom why 'Consumer Reports' gives no weight to actual reports from actual consumers, it's mind-boggling.

Anywho, being confused about the disparity between CR's glowing reports and the much different reports of people who actually *used* the products, I talked to a guy who worked at Lowes who was in a position to know some facts about the machines but not in a position to earn any money by steering me to one product versus another...and he confirmed the less than stellar reports by actual consumers. He said service for LG and Samsuntg sucks- buy a Whirlpool, they are more dependable and, in the event that any service is needed they will take care of it quickly.

So, I bought a Whirlpool. I didn't hook up any water to it- my well water is plenty cold enough and doesn't need any filtering, and I have no intention of using the icemaker since we don't use much ice so I can't report on those aspects. But, it's doing what it's supposed to do, relatively quietly and without issues (so far). Since I was spending over $1,000 on this machine I *did* buy an extended warranty. It was on sale for $1,500+- (from $2,200), and I got an extra 10% discount (which covered the cost of the extended warranty, I generally don't buy them for most things but, in this case, I thought the 'insurance' was a relatively small price to pay). When it was delivered, I noticed a couple of small dings low down on the side, pointed them out and got another 10% 0ff.

I have an issue with Lowes' delivery department, but that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House