Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:43 PM

325 posts, read 161,660 times

Advertisements

i used to buy whirlpool appliances back in the 90's and never had any problems with em. i am considering on buying another one with an ice maker and water dispenser..

thoughts and inputs on the newer models that seem to be ready for the landfill as soon as you plug em in
would like info on how well the ice makers hold up as well since that seems like the first thing to break down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM

18,925 posts, read 43,225,958 times
I have a 2008 Whirlpool Gold side by side that I just put in a rental, and the ice maker just now stopped working, so it made it 11 years. Honestly, I think the problem is the optics board, nothing actually mechanical.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 PM

1,826 posts, read 3,160,463 times
I think Whirlpool appliances are the same as Sears. Myself, I would probably go with an LG, which is General Electric.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I think Whirlpool appliances are the same as Sears. Myself, I would probably go with an LG, which is General Electric.

It used to be that Kenmore (Sears brand) refrigerators, like many Kenmore appliances were made by Whirlpool. The last time I looked at Fridges I noticed that several Kenmore appliances had the same structure as the GE/Hotpoint appliances so it may be that Whirlpool doesn't have a lock on the Kenmore name any longer.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,460,620 times
Whirlpool is American made. Kenmore (Sears) at one time was almost all made by Whirlpool. We purchased a Kenmore Elite (made by Samsung) 5 years ago and have had numerous issues with it. We recently purchased a second refrigerator to put in the garage so we would have a backup if we needed one and got a larger one than we planned. We went with Whirlpool on that one. LG is made by LG which is a South Korean company,

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
Quote:
LG is not GE.

Whirlpool is not the same as Sears.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,865,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It used to be that Kenmore (Sears brand) refrigerators, like many Kenmore appliances were made by Whirlpool. The last time I looked at Fridges I noticed that several Kenmore appliances had the same structure as the GE/Hotpoint appliances so it may be that Whirlpool doesn't have a lock on the Kenmore name any longer.
I recall back in the 80's shopping for a refrigerator at Sears. Back then, some models that were branded Kenmore were made by Whirlpool and some by GE. I remember it clearly because there was a fire issue with some of the GE's and I wanted to be sure not to buy one made by them.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,865,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
i used to buy whirlpool appliances back in the 90's and never had any problems with em. i am considering on buying another one with an ice maker and water dispenser..

thoughts and inputs on the newer models that seem to be ready for the landfill as soon as you plug em in
would like info on how well the ice makers hold up as well since that seems like the first thing to break down
As you see when you search reviews for refrigerators, they seem to all have problems. I bought a new one in 2017. It is a KitchenAid, which is a Whirlpool brand. I have been happy with it. I did not get water or ice in the door. There is a water dispenser, but it is inside. Ice works fine. I keep a scoop in it to retrieve the cubes. It sits perfectly on the edge of the bin, so no one is putting their hands in the ice.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,889 times
You cant go wrong with whirlpool. Years of success. Just butiful and long lasting luxurious comfortable fun times in your whirlpool tub. Thank me later.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
Quote:
LG is not GE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House