U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 PM

10,638 posts, read 12,559,147 times

Advertisements

I know 2 people involved on a deck gone bad deal:

Condo assn. hires a contractor to replace a deck/walkway. Job is done, paid for. Year later the boards appear to have warped, wood looks terrible. Condo says "warranty"..........contractor says he just bought the wood they had, it isn't his install that caused the issue and cannot afford to redo the job for free. Condo assn. feels they got a bad product and wood company doesn't want to do anything about it.

So now what? So if the homeowner buys the materials then where does that leave them in case of a product failure issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Condo assn. hires a contractor to replace a deck/walkway. Job is done, paid for. Year later the boards appear to have warped, wood looks terrible. Condo says "warranty"..........contractor says he just bought the wood they had, it isn't his install that caused the issue and cannot afford to redo the job for free. Condo assn. feels they got a bad product and wood company doesn't want to do anything about it.

So now what? So if the homeowner buys the materials then where does that leave them in case of a product failure issue?
There are no product guarantees for lumber, warping, cupping, checking or twisting especially if its pressure treated lumber, the worlds worst! If the condo association made the decision to use PT lumber, then they are responsible for its ultimate condition, not the installer.

The OP in this case is prepared to use a composite or PVC deck and rail system and he would have a manufactures warranty as long as the installed followed their published recommendations.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 PM

12,792 posts, read 49,578,362 times
Quote:

Wood is a nature material- there's no warranty for that.
The only warranty (limited) for PT is rot.

My question would be- "was the wood treated/sealed after it was installed?"

Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 PM

6,173 posts, read 3,187,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Come on, the OP wasn't asking for a breakdown of all line items -- simply asking for a breakdown of 2 things, the parts and the labor. That should NOT be too much to ask for. (Really?!!)

This is why I ONLY use contractors who charge me by the hour. If they waste my time (e.g. seem to be slacking off or whatever), I can simply choose to not use them again, but it hasn't happened.

Example: I got estimates on taking a load-bearing wall down as the first step in a major kitchen remodel ... and yes, that's an incredibly important job but not particularly difficult. The first contractor's estimate was something like $6,000 just for taking down the wall (and no breakdown of time/materials). I was flabbergasted and went with another company, which simply charged me by the hour for the labor they provided. They did the job for less than $2,000 AND of course they made a profit. (AND they did the job perfectly, according to my town's code officer!) Their "profit" came in the hourly wages that I paid -- they didn't have to make 100%-200%-300% profit on the materials (which was mostly just a beam, which wasn't actually expensive -- a few hundred dollars IIRC), since I simply had the materials delivered to my house.

I HATE it when contractors charge by the "job" -- I have simply stopped using them. The consumer usually VASTLY overpays that way compared to, say, buying the materials and having them delivered, then paying for labor. (Of course, if something weird is found, then the labor charge will go up because more hours will be required -- but my experience has been that that is very rare. And honestly, even if it happened, I would not begrudge the company the extra labor hours.)

Perhaps I have just been lucky to find both GOOD and HONEST and REASONABLY PRICED contractors, but my handyman company charges by the hour and they are fine with using materials that I have ordered and had delivered. They will even pick them up on the way to my house and simply charge me for their time to pick them up, which is totally fine. AND they make a good profit doing this. It really is a reasonable business plan.

(Oh, and my plumber and electrician charge the same way. That's why I choose to USE them!)

This. Times 5000

I知 not paying you double or triple what the actual material costs and I知 not paying $450 an hour for labor. You致e all lost your mind

Whoever mentioned find a Carpenter who charges hourly I will do exactly that

I値l report back with final cost!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Time to get out the tools and show them how you can get it done for $2500!

I'd bet you can't finish it in 20 hours either (2 full days, 10 hours a day). It is summer time, guys are probably busy and NOBODY works for free/cost.
Get a grip. No one said free. I値l pay labor. Something fair. Not $9000 for a 20 hr job

Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Trex offers warranty and individual boards can be replaced.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
There are no product guarantees for lumber, warping, cupping, checking or twisting especially if its pressure treated lumber, the worlds worst! If the condo association made the decision to use PT lumber, then they are responsible for its ultimate condition, not the installer.

The OP in this case is prepared to use a composite or PVC deck and rail system and he would have a manufactures warranty as long as the installed followed their published recommendations.
This thank you

I値l never have a deck again after this house. Useless waste of time hassle and money

Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This. Times 5000

Whoever mentioned find a Carpenter who charges hourly I will do exactly that

I値l report back with final cost!
Thank you and I hope it works out well for you❗️

Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 2,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This thank you

I値l never have a deck again after this house. Useless waste of time hassle and money
You really must be new to the Chicago area. Projects can cost an arm and a leg here(!)

Old 09-11-2019, 11:30 PM

1,842 posts, read 3,249,423 times
When you get that many bids in the same rough range, that's the market price. You don't have to like the market price. But that's still the market price.

I can walk into every Audi dealership and decree their cars are too expensive based on a formula I decide. Nobody cares. They will sell their cars to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or