U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,228,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My 2cents. It does not take an expert artisan to replace the boards on a deck. especially a small one that is 10x14. Perspective; last year I had a new roof put on. 40 squares. complete tear off.It took 8 guys two 12 hour days to do it. These guys were the best I have ever seen. I have done roofs. Nobody could beat these guys in time management or quality of work. Another crew came in and replaced all my gutters. Two guys;took about 8 hours. We are talking new owens corning 30 year shingles, new roof vents and 15 pound felt with ice barrier. My bill was a little over $14,000. that's $1000 below that high bidder for your deck.

If I lived close I would do it for you...ÖÖ.you furnish materials...ÖÖ..I'd charge at the most $2500.

Get rid of the old boards? Try paying to get rid of 40 square of old shingles...Ö...
So 8 guys at 24 hrs =192 hrs.

See how these deck guys are absolutely a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 PM

350 posts, read 79,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
So 8 guys at 24 hrs =192 hrs.

See how these deck guys are absolutely a joke
Then find someone else or do it yourself. The amount of time you spent kvetching about it, you could have picked up a couple of blisters and a few splinters.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 49,839,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Then find someone else or do it yourself. The amount of time you spent kvetching about it, you could have picked up a couple of blisters and a few splinters.

That's just what I was thinking! I can't believe this thread is still going...

Ya know, some people don't know the working end of a hammer- all they know is kvetching!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Oh Iím working on it. Waiting for a couple quotes from a union carpenter and a non union carpenter

Iíll be back with how much it really should cost

Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Oh Iím working on it. Waiting for a couple quotes from a union carpenter and a non union carpenter

And I would have been sitting on my new deck by now, enjoying the last of the weather up there that would allow it.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
And I would have been sitting on my new deck by now, enjoying the last of the weather up there that would allow it.
All while flushing thousands down the toilet....

Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
All while flushing thousands down the toilet....
No. I would have just done it myself. It makes the beer taste better.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 PM

662 posts, read 106,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

Your best option might be to hire or obtain a price from a working carpenter who does side work on his own. You could purchase the material while he gives you an hourly rate or a lump sum estimate for all of the labor needed to complete the work.

This might be your most economical option at this point in time.
Except that, at least in my state (CA) they need to have their own license. Otherwise they are limited to $500 per JOB, max, incl labor and materials...

Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Trex offers warranty and individual boards can be replaced.
Only covers the materials...then you're going to have to find a carpenter again to do the labor.....Just FYI

Old 09-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I had to read through all of the posts here just for laughs. I'm a high end builder in SoCal and I would never give a breakdown for Mat/Labor. First off, it's none of your business. And you clearly have no concept of Overhead/Profit. You sorely underestimated the time required, etc, etc....

You really should have done this yourself, but lemme guess.........you can't.

You're the guy that gives all homeowners a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or