Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 06:13 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,104,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Truthfully the layman knows absolutely nothing as to what it takes to do something like a deck electrical plumbing or tile. You yourself are assuming it’s a 20 hour job. Christ dude if it’s that easy as you stated previously grab a hammer and a screw gun and go to town. After all it’s easy right. So what’s the problem? You sit here whining about how they are “gouging” you when it’s simply your opinion on what the costs are and what they should be.

Did you ever actually stop and think that THEY DONT GET $100. A HOUR. They actually have to pay taxes, fill up a truck, pay for tools, insurance both car and business , license, bond, payroll, shop rent. I used to love when people told me I’m making $120 a hour. If I was making #120 a hour I wouldn’t be here digging this ditch.

Like I previously stated

You don’t like the price...go do it yourself
Doesn’t matter. I’m not paying $225 p/h per guy. It’s insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
You are underestimating the amount of work and expense involved in the job, as that tile layer did. Thus, it is an exact comparison.

I hope that's clear enough for you, I tried to keep it concise.
Still waiting for a response. How much did you pay in the end?

Your guy sucked at estimating

Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 AM

You got me it was electrician that had the tile job

Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,244,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Fail

20 hr max for my dinky deck
You still have not answered exactly how you determined the 20 hours. Clearly you have never taken on a job like this yourself, or you would know the pratfalls that can happen during the demo process. I have never had a demo job that did not bring up at least one unforeseen consequence (and I have done tons). I have also built dozens of decks.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:30 AM

17,173 posts, read 21,838,767 times
Quote:
85-100 p/h. Clearly not $100 for a day that’s snot nosed pimple faced teenage wages.

$9000 for 2 guys at 20 hr job is $225 an hour.
Actually your numbers are completely wrong! You said the materials are $2500 by your estimation so you need to deduct the materials from the 9K job cost. So it is a 6500 labor cost, not 9000.

Lets just say your estimate is light, you didn't calculate waste/fasteners etc. Lets just say materials are $3000 (up 20%) then lets say it is a 30 hour job (50% up from your estimate). 6K labor/30 hours is $200 an hour ($100 each guy). Sounds expensive but remember that guy has to load a truck full of tools and get to your house. You didn't allot a single dollar to overhead/tool costs/insurance/licenses. Guy could burn $100 in gas just picking up the materials and driving to/from your house for 3 days. All of these expenses cut into "his profit"........god forbid something goes wrong and he has to redo a section of deck (more time/materials). What if his table saw dies on your job? That has to be $400+ for a cheap one. No matter how great a tool is at some point it needs replacement.

I think it is funny when a homeowner with no experience in the trades wants to dictate the price of the job!

I've never built a deck in my life nor would I attempt it. I am a terrible carpenter, I can do anything mechanical but with wood I am no good! Measure twice, cut 3 times and back to home depot for another piece of wood. When the guy came to my house to do crown molding I saved few bucks by priming/painting the wood myself and he did all the hanging and banging! Looks great and I could care less what he made per hour.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Actually your numbers are completely wrong! You said the materials are $2500 by your estimation so you need to deduct the materials from the 9K job cost. So it is a 6500 labor cost, not 9000.

Lets just say your estimate is light, you didn't calculate waste/fasteners etc. Lets just say materials are $3000 (up 20%) then lets say it is a 30 hour job (50% up from your estimate). 6K labor/30 hours is $200 an hour ($100 each guy). Sounds expensive but remember that guy has to load a truck full of tools and get to your house. You didn't allot a single dollar to overhead/tool costs/insurance/licenses. Guy could burn $100 in gas just picking up the materials and driving to/from your house for 3 days. All of these expenses cut into "his profit"........god forbid something goes wrong and he has to redo a section of deck (more time/materials). What if his table saw dies on your job? That has to be $400+ for a cheap one. No matter how great a tool is at some point it needs replacement.

I think it is funny when a homeowner with no experience in the trades wants to dictate the price of the job!

I've never built a deck in my life nor would I attempt it. I am a terrible carpenter, I can do anything mechanical but with wood I am no good! Measure twice, cut 3 times and back to home depot for another piece of wood. When the guy came to my house to do crown molding I saved few bucks by priming/painting the wood myself and he did all the hanging and banging! Looks great and I could care less what he made per hour.
WRong

My $9000 labor example is from the $15,000 quote. They’ve lost their mind

Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 PM

17,173 posts, read 21,838,767 times
Quote:
WRong

My $9000 labor example is from the $15,000 quote. They’ve lost their mind
I figured with (2) 9K estimates in hand the 15K quote was tossed out. Now you are kind of grasping here, why grovel here about the highest estimate? Rarely would anyone complaining about price take the highest estimate.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I figured with (2) 9K estimates in hand the 15K quote was tossed out. Now you are kind of grasping here, why grovel here about the highest estimate? Rarely would anyone complaining about price take the highest estimate.
The absurdity, that’s why. I literally laughed him off my property

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM

And the lowest quote was just a guy and his beat up truck and a helper. So he can charge less I guess

Still $162.50 an hour for the cheapest quote

Absurd

Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,000,240 times
My 2cents. It does not take an expert artisan to replace the boards on a deck. especially a small one that is 10x14. Perspective; last year I had a new roof put on. 40 squares. complete tear off.It took 8 guys two 12 hour days to do it. These guys were the best I have ever seen. I have done roofs. Nobody could beat these guys in time management or quality of work. Another crew came in and replaced all my gutters. Two guys;took about 8 hours. We are talking new owens corning 30 year shingles, new roof vents and 15 pound felt with ice barrier. My bill was a little over $14,000. that's $1000 below that high bidder for your deck.

If I lived close I would do it for you...…….you furnish materials...……..I'd charge at the most $2500.

Get rid of the old boards? Try paying to get rid of 40 square of old shingles...…...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House