U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:17 PM

870 posts, read 305,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I didn't say I USE it infrequently; I said I OPEN it infrequently. I always keep it well stocked.
You keep it well-stocked but rarely open it? Not sure what the point is.

Also, if it's old, it's probably an energy suck anyway. You're already putting money into it just by running the thing, especially if the seal sucks.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 AM

8,514 posts, read 6,387,286 times
Quote:
I could, but - again - that's spending money (and doing work). I'm happy to just duct-tape it if that's effective.
You're going to spend the same amount of time on duct taping to make it seal properly as you would taking off and reinstalling the gasket.

Not to mention that Duct tape costs money too...

Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM

8,022 posts, read 4,543,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You're going to spend the same amount of time on duct taping to make it seal properly as you would taking off and reinstalling the gasket.

Not to mention that Duct tape costs money too...
Again, I only open it about every seven days. I take out what I plan to thaw/eat that week, put in whatever I've bought that needs freezing, and that's it. Also, I've reused duct tape many times for other things? It doesn't lose all its adhesion with one application/removal. I would have no idea how to install a new gasket. Yes, I know I could watch a You Tube video.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,297,016 times
I don't think you are going to get as good of seal with duct tape as you will with a proper gasket. as someone else said if it is that old it might be better to invest in a new freezer when they are on sale.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

7,821 posts, read 3,297,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Penny wise, pound foolish.
Succinctly and perfectly put.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

8,022 posts, read 4,543,140 times
It seems to be working just fine. "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

12,795 posts, read 49,589,243 times
Quote:
It seems to be working just fine. "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Until you open it!

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

14,469 posts, read 45,414,425 times
OP, look in your phone book and find a shop that sells used appliances and does repair. These shops, as opposed to repair vans with no brick and mortar presence, seem to know more about older appliances. Tell them the brand and model #, ask how much they want to get a gasket and install it.

At least get a bid before you decide the bid will be too much money. I would guess you are looking at like $50 at most.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

18,697 posts, read 8,481,075 times
Quote:
Again, I only open it about every seven days. I take out what I plan to thaw/eat that week, put in whatever I've bought that needs freezing, and that's it. Also, I've reused duct tape many times for other things? It doesn't lose all its adhesion with one application/removal. I would have no idea how to install a new gasket. Yes, I know I could watch a You Tube video.
You seem determined to use duct tape regardless of what anyone thinks.

So use it.

My opinion is that if you want to continue using a freezer as an integral part of your personal food system over the long-term that you'd be better off replacing the old one with a more energy-efficient model.

But - if you'd rather try duct tape, it's your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House