U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 21 24.14%
NO 66 75.86%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM

850 posts, read 403,857 times

Advertisements

We live in an HOA currently and I'd rather we didn't. It's not a terrible HOA, but I pay good money every year and they spend it all on stuff I don't care about such as: golf. They keep the golf courses pristine and they keep adding new pickle ball courts, but they charge us members to use the pool, and I'd love to have some walking lanes/trails put in so that I don't have to share the road with all of the car/trucks.

Lastly our neighbor has fifteen cars and trucks all over his property. Front and back yard. It's against our HOA rules to have more than three vehicles, and he has broken this rule the past three years. They took him to court and yet still he continues to add more vehicles. What's the point of having HOA rules if they can't enforce them. Good riddance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 PM

18,194 posts, read 23,492,989 times
Worst mistake of my real estate purchasing life when I bought a condo in Davis, CA and experienced a bunch of idiots who could affect my investment. I sold just a few years after the purchase. Had previously owned free and clear always. Never again.

HOAs are controlled mainly by control-freak neighbors who don't have any experience managing a large budget or property management. It's truly an insane institution. And these people have a lot of influence over your real estate investment. You're inviting a bunch of inexperienced people with weird agendas to affect your investment when you buy into a HOA. It's completely insane in my opinion.

I'd always prefer to buy a small house free and clear in a good neighborhood than a big fancy condo with a HOA.

It's also a cost you can never be sure of. The condo I bought got a lobbyist on the HOA board who wanted garage doors installed on our shared carports that had been that way for about 30 years. I was on the board, too, but he was better at "lobbying." Next thing you know, one guy out of about 130 homeowners got his garage door to the tune of increasing everyone's HOA dues by about 20%.

HOA dues are a cost you can never be sure of.

And don't get me started on how all the rules can change depending on what new control freak gets on the board. Next thing you know, you are getting fined for having a nice planter in front of your place with - god forbid - a nice tomato plant, or whatever.

If you want to try and control all of your neighbors, a HOA might work for you - but even then, who knows. I just really think you're better off buying a fee simple property in a neighborhood with neighbors you're okay with. There is never a guarantee that you'll end up with a neighbor you'd love to get rid of. But, in my opinion, you're always better off being in complete control of your own property.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 PM

7,207 posts, read 4,026,484 times
Many formerly nice areas have been ruined by several family members buying a house together and then moving in 6+ adults and countless kids. Then it seems to spread to other houses on the street. I like the HOA because things like that don't happen and the environment is nice and kept up. Ours doesn't allow renters, so there is no problem with absentee landlords either. And I REALLY love the brand new indoor swimming pool we have for swimming all year long!

Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM

7,818 posts, read 3,292,257 times
Add me to the "didn't answer, none of the choices cover my answer" club. It depends...on the HOA, the CCR's and how they are upheld. FWIW so far I've lived in 3 areas with HOAs. Didn't have any trouble with any of them, but they weren't the draconian messes so many complain about. They limited themselves to basic stuff like compliant septic, water and waste control, permanent structures (no shacks or RVs used as residences), no commercial enterprise including dumping grounds for construction waste, dirt, gravel, storage of accumulating piles of dead vehicles and equipment, setbacks that respect neighbors, no roosters, limited livestock and dogs, noise restrictions, shielded exterior lighting, maintaining viewsheds, etc. I also found the HOA boards to be made up of pretty reasonable folks who wanted the same basic property related things I did.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,884,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Prefer to live in an HOA? Yes or No.
My HOA fee is $200/year, and covers maintenance of the road. It also is tied to covenants. No houses under 1600sf, no building within 50ft of property lines, no houses on lots under 5 acres. No mobile homes. No commercial property use.

I love my HOA. It doesnt constrain me in the least, and offers utility (road is always in great shape, riffraff is kept out).

Typical city HOAs with some nosy Karen telling you what size flag you can fly? Screw that.

So I didnt vote. Depends totally on the HOA.

What I can do:

-Installed 100m rifle and pistol range
-Hunt my own land.
-Raise a small flock of chickens

This is enough for me.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 24 days ago)

5,931 posts, read 6,123,208 times
I have to go with yes. Are they perfect? God, no. There are bad ones but Iíve been fortunate never to be stuck in one I didnít like and Iím on my 6th now. Iíve never lived anywhere without an HOA across 5 cities in 3 states. I like that some aspects of the community are managed by a third party like landscaping at the last house. I had zero interest ever of doing any landscaping. I have never mowed a lawn in my life and now I live in a desert so I wonít ever be doing that lol.

I also donít want my neighbors doing bizarre things like flying a confederate flag or keeping Hilary Clinton signs on their front yard for 3 years. That being said, itís not all sunshine and roses. I had to get HOA approval for my pool and hot tub, again for the solar paneling, and again Iíll apply shortly for the backyard landscaping that really doesnít concern them and I have to ask for an exception to the rules - they require 2 trees and 14 plants! Iím not joking. How random is that?! Why 14? My lot is a view lot so itís an incredible view but a smaller lot, I have no room or interest in having trees there and wonít do it. Fortunately, they have an exception for if you have a pool. But itís still obnoxious. I also donít like the metal railing on the second floor balcony. I want a better view and with a modern home Iíd rather replace that with thick steel supporting beautiful glass so I can see through most of the ďrailingĒ and get more view. I have no clue if theyíd approve that or not, though. I could see them saying it isnít consistent with the other houses even though itís on the back of the house facing out of the community so nobody could see it.

Weíll see how this HOA is, but itís in the build out stage so I think so far, so good. Pool approval took 3 weeks (full disclosure I started before they approved - we had the permit - by 2 days). Solar took only 6 days.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM

17,655 posts, read 21,541,417 times
Prefer!

If nothing else for dog barking control!

My last HOA: 2 complaints about dog barking: $90 fine.

I know one HOA: 2 complaints about dog barking and dog must go!

There'll be no complaints at my house: I have a ferret! Ever hear of a ferret barking?

Better to be in an older community with an HOA, which is where I'm at now and I love my lavender colored house!

Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM

29,022 posts, read 63,203,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Prefer to live in an HOA? Yes or No.
It starts with why they exist: a lack of effective civil laws (zoning etc) ...
in the areas where the developers wanted to build.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,172,582 times
I second the prevention of riff-raff. Comply or get sued.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

151 posts, read 63,357 times
I voted "Yes", but to my HOA, not the draconian ones I read about.

When you buy a house in my neighborhood, you are bound by the covenants in your title documents. You are not required to join the HOA or pay dues -- it's voluntary. This allows the HOA to legally stop abuses like constant partying, multi-family use (we're zoned single family) and the usual excesses that happen when useless and inconsiderate people aren't watched. But... if they start citing people for irrelevant minutiae, more and more drop out and refuse to pay. This allows us control over the typical retiree control-freak who decides your bush is 1/8 inch too close to the setback line. They don't last long on the committee (or are overruled) because that type costs them money. It's a great balance, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House