U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 26 25.24%
NO 77 74.76%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

6,695 posts, read 8,232,938 times

Advertisements

Yes there are well managed HOAs. That’s not the problem.

The problem is having inexperienced and ignorant individuals with the power to fine you and put a lien on your property based on arbitrary decisions that would not hold up in a court of law. With no oversight it forces you to either go to court or suck it up and bow to their majesties. (By ignorant I mean related to property management, drainage, maintenance issues)

Going to court is time consuming and will cost your neighbors a lot of money. You might move away and then need to return for legal proceedings.

The board often ends up stacked with friends who the power hungry president recruits in exchange for special favors like exceptions to the rules. While the concept may have sounded reasonable once upon a time the possibility for misuse is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

8,435 posts, read 3,312,778 times
Voted no. I consider people who want to tell me what plants I can have in my front yard and what color I can paint my house to be riff raff, so in my case NOT having an HOA keeps them out.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

1,670 posts, read 356,715 times
I've lived in 2 HOA communities.

The first was a rural HOA. 15 homesites of varying acreage. The rules were simple...so many animals per acre, homes had to be stick built min 1500 sq ft, residence only, single family only. Restrictions were in the deed and ran for 99 years before they could be changed and there were no common areas to be maintained.

My second is the one I'm in now. It's a huge golf course community run by a management company and each sub community within the bigger community has an HOA board. I prefer this because the community is so big that no one clique of people can bully their personal preferences onto everyone else.

The key is to read your documents before you buy. Know the financials, know who runs the place, read the minutes from past meetings. Read the rules...can you live with them ?

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

442 posts, read 121,123 times
Oh H no...ever.

Done it once - NEVER again.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

730 posts, read 282,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I like having the HOA take care of the grass, tree trimming, snow removal, etc. Worth every penny.
I voted "no" initially, but thinking more about it, this is about as far as I'd want an HOA to go.

I have no interest in dictating what other people do with their own property, even if it's "ugly" to me. As long as they don't infringe on my home, it's not my business.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

13,954 posts, read 19,059,871 times
I have bought 3 houses in my lifetime . The first one was in a lovely neighborhood and no Hoa however then trash started moving in and running down the neighborhood got out as soon as I could . Sold at a loss . 2nd house same thing happened only I got full price for that one . Now im in the 3rd house it has no Hoa but I still call the county if I see things getting out of control people leaving junk in their yard for over a year for instance . I care about the neighborhood and my home and I want the place I live to be nice . My final home will be my retirement home and im sure I will have an HOA in that area where im planning on buying and going .

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

1,057 posts, read 759,639 times
I've never lived in an HOA, but 2nd-hand experience I've had with them (Parents have an HOA) was 100% negative.

The reasons I'd never choose to live in an HOA:
1. I want to be free to use my property as I see fit. City bylaws are already restrictive enough!
2. I hate the idea of paying "rent" on a property I already own. Taxes are bad enough!
3. Along the lines of #2; I hate paying for amenities that I don't/can't use or get my money's worth out of. For HOA's with pools, common areas, party rooms, it would drive me nuts to pay $$$ every month for access to stuff that I might not want to use. I'd much rather pay for a club membership that I can switch on and off as I please, rather than be saddled with a permanent fee for facilities, just because of where my house is!

If I could use a common room to teach a for-profit class, or give swim lessons in the community pool for cash, that would be better, but most HOA's don't let you use common facilities to make money, so they just stand as empty and unused money pits most of the time.
4. I don't want to be in my neighbors' business, or have them in my business, any more than absolutely necessary. My parent's HOA is ALL DRAMA ALL THE TIME, and these people are on huge lots, where they can barely even see each other's houses! I live in a neighborhood of jam-packed saltboxes, and I hang with the neighbors I like, and have zero drama with everyone.

Sure, there's some annoyances from living in a non-HOA neighborhood. My closest neighbor has a woodworking home business that is a bit noisy. However, I'd rather have to deal with asking him to keep it down during my kids nap time, or offer to help him install a fan so he can work in his garage to keep the noise pollution down, than have an overbearing HOA tell him he can't practice his trade in his driveway.

I hear complaints about power-mad HOA's much more often than I hear people wishing for HOA's or singing the praises of their HOA. Plus I love my situation, even with a noisy neighbor. My neighborhood has character, and we're all friendly with each other. I'm not sure if the same would be true if we had a HOA forcing us all to regulate each other.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

20,294 posts, read 19,272,044 times
No. Seems like an HOA is only needed when the town doesn't have rules or doesn't enforce the zoning rules. No one where I've ever lived has parked an RV in front of their house, no one has ever parked cars on their lawn. At one house we had crazy neighbors out back and they'd stay outside late at night yelling and drinking--I called the police and they enforced the town rules for being quiet at night.

That was the only "riff raff" I've encountered. I don't mind if my neighbors plant a flowering cherry tree or a Dogwood tree or a Japanese maple. And no one is going to tell me what to plant either. (Thinking of planting a hydrangea.) I don't care whether my neighbor's shutters are gray or black or blue.

Most people care about their property, they take good care of it, and MOST people are considerate of their neighbors. Probably the only thing I dislike are those noisy leaf blowers.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

12,791 posts, read 49,578,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I voted "no" initially, but thinking more about it, this is about as far as I'd want an HOA to go.

I have no interest in dictating what other people do with their own property, even if it's "ugly" to me. As long as they don't infringe on my home, it's not my business.

It'll be your business when you find out you lost 20% on a potential sale because of comp's.

All HOA's are different when it comes to what you actually "get" for your dues. So, I wouldn't be so quick to discount a HOA.

And yes, there are HOA nazis everywhere- but, I will say this: most HOA's that do have "problems" with nazi board members are usually HOA's that DO NOT have an active community. In other words, people don't want to get involved- so those that do seem to "let it go to their head".

I know- I've been there! As a builder, landowner, and homeowner.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 1,102,378 times
Absolutely no tolerance for an HOA for us. We live in an older neighborhood in Newport Beach, Ca that does not have an HOA. I like the freedom of designing my our landscape, paint scheme, working on my cars, leaving the garage door open for more than 15 minutes, not paying $375-$1,200 a month in dues, BBQing on our front deck, and I love my neighbors.

Oddly, our neighborhood is much safer than the surrounding gated communities by virtue of our neighborhood being hidden between a golf course and nature preserve...no one knows it exists. It's nice not having a neighbor across the street nor behind you as well. The rash of recent murders and assaults in the gated Newport Beach/Irvine area appear to be domestic issues and back-stabbing (no pun intended) business partners. It is very rare for assailants to have no prior connection to their victims.

While this is my preference, I understand that other's views may vary. If I wasn't able-bodied, particular about my lifestyle, or if an HOA community was significantly safer in my area, then I would considering living in one.

For the money-minded HOA dweller, I believe you can subtract your HOA expenses from your net profit at sale. In other words, if you sell your house for $600K more than what you purchased it at, but spent $50K on HOA fees over your ownership then you your tax basis is off $550K (neglecting the $250K per person cap gains exclusion)...consult a tax pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House