U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 35 27.56%
NO 92 72.44%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 958,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Many formerly nice areas have been ruined by several family members buying a house together and then moving in 6+ adults and countless kids. Then it seems to spread to other houses on the street. I like the HOA because things like that don't happen and the environment is nice and kept up. Ours doesn't allow renters, so there is no problem with absentee landlords either. And I REALLY love the brand new indoor swimming pool we have for swimming all year long!
Many nice neighborhoods have also been ruined because 6 adults got together and decided that they knew better then anyone else how they should live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 PM

2,030 posts, read 5,047,800 times
Default Hoa

In my situation, it's been fine. Ours is very nominal and only covers the entrances, street lights and maintaining the integrity of the neighborhood. It has no enforcement capabilities, and attempts to keep the neighborhood uniformity/conformity by reminding residents about parking trailers/boats on their property (not allowed except for 48 hour maintenance), storage of trash and recycling receptacles (not visible from street), and a pulse on the home and landscaping projects such as decks, basketball hoops, gardens etc.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM

780 posts, read 247,624 times
We have been in 3 of them and only one was decent. We bought our retirement home 7 years ago in a nice, older neighborhood with no HOA. Most people keep up their yards. We have 5 parking spots in front because there is no on street parking. We still have a front yard and only use all the spaces when we have company. Our RV does fit in one of them.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,875 posts, read 33,454,142 times
Used to live across the street from an eyesore that was within local zoning regulations, but would never have been allowed by an HOA. Having a living room window view I can enjoy and knowing nothing foolish will appear on my street is why I seek out HOA neighborhoods now.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 PM

46,079 posts, read 37,184,744 times
My hope is that everyone who doesn't want to live in an HOA moves to some area that doesn't have an HOA. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with our HOA.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 PM

9,607 posts, read 8,012,206 times
I hold an FCC Amateur Radio license. I have a 40 foot antenna tower right outside the pasture fence, next to the back yard. Those of you who live in an HOA; would your HOA allow that? Or, for that matter, any other antenna on the outside of the house (like the 2meter/70 centimeter J-pole on the end of the house)?

We walked away from a real nice house when we were shopping, because the HOA/CCRs considered a one ton dually truck a "commercial vehicle", and as such it could not be parked in the driveway. My one ton dually was to tow the fifth wheel trailer we were using at the time. Parking the trailer next to the house was OK, according to the rules, but the truck had to be stored off-site. We were about to make an offer when I asked to see a copy of the CCRs, and found that rule.

Nope, no sale!

The house we bought has a few CCRs, but no HOA. Without the HOA there is no-one to enforce the CCRs. We have been very happy here for nearly 20 years!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,727,610 times
Nope. Never.

I enjoy my piece of country with plenty of space between neighbors.

A guy down the road has a surplus deuce and a half military truck. You know what? I couldn’t give a rats petootie about it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 PM

31,693 posts, read 14,104,102 times
never again! I lived in an HOA for 14 years and it was just awful. The rules were bizarre, arcane and covered every aspect of your life. We had to get permission to paint our house, we were not changing the color but when the painters started painting we got slammed with a cease and desist order. We were told we could not paint our house until we made an application with the architectural board. My son and his family stayed with us for a few months while they were waiting to move into their new home and we got served a notice that we needed to identify the 'tenants' staying in our home along with a nasty reminder that we are not allowed to sublet any part of our home. It never ended, if a plant died in your yard you had to replace it with an identical one or meet with the board to beg permission to plant something different. At one point we were told to buy a $200 bear proof trash can, after we did we were told by the trash company that they won't empty those containers, the board told us that was not their problem and refused to reimburse us for the $200 trash can. Window coverings had to appear white from outside the home, so you had to use white blinds or lined drapes. In order to use the swimming pool you had to carry your HOA ID card even though the old codger playing pool cop knew us by our first name.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:42 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
294 posts, read 237,968 times
Although I've never lived in an HOA community, based on what I have read/heard I never will. All the rules seem too restrictive and the monthly cost far exceeds any maintenance costs to maintain the property.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 AM

46,079 posts, read 37,184,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
In my situation, it's been fine. Ours is very nominal and only covers the entrances, street lights and maintaining the integrity of the neighborhood. It has no enforcement capabilities, and attempts to keep the neighborhood uniformity/conformity by reminding residents about parking trailers/boats on their property (not allowed except for 48 hour maintenance), storage of trash and recycling receptacles (not visible from street), and a pulse on the home and landscaping projects such as decks, basketball hoops, gardens etc.
This sounds like our HOA and I'm fine with it. We have gates and an entrance and those need to be maintained. We have a few rules (similar to the ones you describe) and I'm happy about those rules. I WANT those rules. I don't want people parking on the street for instance. We have lots of kids in our neighborhood and that wouldn't be safe. They play in the streets a lot, riding bikes, running around on scooters, etc.

We can actually have boats and trailers (but not RVs) parked on our properties but they have to be behind the fence and they have to be on a concrete pad. We live very close to a lake so I am betting that most of the residents own a boat.

Our lots are spacious and the minimum square footage of homes is also spacious, so it's easy to put things like storage buildings, trailers, etc. BEHIND a house so they are not visible from the street and that's basically the HOA rule. "What happens in your back yard stays in your back yard."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House