U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 35 26.12%
NO 99 73.88%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:09 AM

504 posts, read 133,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My hope is that everyone who doesn't want to live in an HOA moves to some area that doesn't have an HOA. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with our HOA.
I'd say from the poll results that is how most folks like to live.

I'm happy to have escaped my last HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:29 AM

15,953 posts, read 27,121,343 times
Our home is an older home. We have newer subdivisions in the area. Yesterday I was talking to a co-worker. I mentioned the things we are planning for the outside of the house. We want to rip out the grass in the median strip between the sidewalk and the street. Possibly putting in decorative pavers. He asked how we are able to do that. I mentioned that although the area is part of the city that the city expects the homeowner to maintain it.

He lived in a HOA community. They are not allowed to make any changes to the yard area. It has to look the same as when it was built. Same trees, plants, or at least similar.

Another couple we know live in an HOA in an upscale neighborhood. My daughter and I ride our bikes thru there. She mentioned that she wants to live there when she is older. I mentioned this to this couple. They told me that it is not all that it seems. They are not even allowed to park a car on the driveway. All cars have to be in the garage. They have a three car garage and four cars. One of them is not going to be in the garage. When they moved there they had fewer cars. As kids grew up they bought more cars.

After hearing all these experiences I am thinking we will stay where we are, and live how we want to live.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM

7,078 posts, read 3,886,100 times
I do everything I can to avoid them after having lived in an area with one. Like someone mentioned earlier we were one of the first families to move in and things seemed to flow well. Note, we didn't really want to live in an HOA area then, but there just weren't any other options in that location that weren't HOA, so we picked the least obtrusive. Well as the neighborhood grew and new people came it, sure enough they started pulling all sorts of draconian power plays to control everyone who lived there. I got myself elected to the board to try to be a voice of reason, but it became a voice crying in the wilderness as the cliques elected each other and replaced the original members.

The amount of backstabbing and spying on neighbors became unreal. Someone filed a complaint on us that our basement was finished. The only way they could have known was to sneak up and spy in the windows. And, for the record, it was fully permitted and inspected. They thought they had a "gotcha" on us since most basement's in that neighborhood weren't finished. There were a lot of retired folks with nothing better to do and spy on their neighbors. We even had one guy who was just moving in come to the board meeting and offer that since he was retired he was willing to drive around the neighborhood every day and measure setbacks and check for violations.

I will do my best to avoid living in an HOA ever again. In my current non HOA neighborhood, there are no cars up on blocks. Kids have swingsets. A few people have RVs. And no one bothers anyone.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM

532 posts, read 201,206 times
When a relative talked about retiring to a SC HOA we told him in a nice way about our negative HOA experiences (2 HOA's 2 states) especially about how quarterly fees can go up when greedy board members decide to add on amenities that are unnecessary and costly.

He said he had thoroughly researched that HOA's financials and talked to several board members and they were all conservative with money. He built a really beautiful home on the golf course (one of the amenities). All was well for several years until HOA dues started increasing substantially every year, much more than COL. He decided to sell when they hit $10,000/year and were still going up, double what they were when they moved in and rising annually.

It becomes much harder to sell your home with high HOA fees because fewer people will qualify for loans. Mortgage lenders count the HOA fees against what you can borrow so you can borrow less than non-HOA homes with no quarterly dues. Many people don't think about this. Your HOA fees can actually make your home LESS VALUABLE to a buyer.

They managed to sell but had to reduce list price 4 times and it took over a year to sell. I don't know if they lost money since never heard what building cost was.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:41 PM

3,838 posts, read 9,381,929 times
I live in one now and never again.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:00 PM

29,170 posts, read 63,403,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My hope is that everyone who doesn't want to live in an HOA moves to some area that doesn't have an HOA.
They already do live in such places (by and large) and manage pretty well (by and large) with the zoning laws
they have had in their cities for most of 100 years and out in their counties for 50 years or more.

Where the conflict (mostly) comes up for them is when they want to move south or west where the development
over the last 50 years is done withwith rather few zoning laws outside of City Limits and don't realize the distinction until it's too late.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 PM

24,596 posts, read 30,736,162 times
it depends. but id say that my experience living in a community with an HOA was more positive than negative so id probably prefer it. but you can get unlucky and have to deal with some jerks that enjoy taking it upon themselves to harass residents.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:44 PM

14,589 posts, read 7,847,912 times
I've owned a townhouse condo at a Vermont ski resort since 1993. The good generally outweighs the bad. Of the 26 years, I've wintered there 12 of them. There are a few loss of control things that are unfortunate. I'm not allowed to put a hot tub on the deck. I've had a chronic leak problem at one of the chimneys for decades I can't get resolved. They'll occasionally decide to do something I don't agree with. They replaced gravel walkways with pavers. A really bad idea in Vermont. There's a summer-only swimming pool I've never used in 26 years that needed to be replaced. My position was that I either wanted the hole filled in or I wanted to pay extra to have a pool I could use in the winter. I was assessed for another summer-only swimming pool.

I also own a single family home. Small house on a small lot. I have good neighbors but they're all retirees and a replacement neighbor might be awful.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:26 PM

46,123 posts, read 37,279,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Although I've never lived in an HOA community, based on what I have read/heard I never will. All the rules seem too restrictive and the monthly cost far exceeds any maintenance costs to maintain the property.

It totally depends on the HOA structure and the neighborhood.

I've never paid more than $300 a year - a year - in HOA fees. These fees cover maintenance of common areas, gates, fences, etc which I WANT to be maintained. There are some restrictions as well - but nothing like "You can't paint your house with out getting it approved" or whatever. More like "You can't park on the street," or "You can't store an RV in your driveway." That sort of thing, which I'm fine with.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 PM

46,123 posts, read 37,279,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I'd say from the poll results that is how most folks like to live.

I'm happy to have escaped my last HOA.
I'd say that the poll results are far from scientific and really don't prove anything other than "most C-D posters who are bothering to vote voted for such and such," but hey, that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House