U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 35 26.12%
NO 99 73.88%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 AM

20,457 posts, read 38,287,728 times

Advertisements

Or the Painted Ladies in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM

21,726 posts, read 12,367,364 times
I currently live in a Master Community Association, so a little different than an HOA. It's a planned urban community on the site of the former airport here, with the oldest houses being about 17 or 18 years old, and construction is still ongoing (total number of households I think will end up at close to 30,000 so it's a very, very large area).

the MCA actually encourages people to be creative when it comes to painting their homes - developers were mandated to add some variety to each parcel the developed, but they still generally used a related color scheme for all the houses on a given block. The HOA supports the idea that over time, as people repaint and re-landscape their individual properties, that individuality will help to take away some of the cookie cutter feel of the development. So aside from purposefully mixing up lots of different architectural styles, over the years, lots of natural variation has crept in.

There are some areas with a secondary HOA, and those tend to be much stricter. But the only permission I need to get to make changes are ones that requiring city permitting, the MCA doesn't impose additional restrictions.

So a lot really just depends on the specifics. I know someone who lived in a single family house in an HOA, and they were forced to repaint their garage door because they had painted it the wrong color (it was supposed to match the beige trim instead of the white the painter had used). They also had restrictions on the front door colors, so that no house with the same color front door could be next door to a house with that same color. So I'm not saying there aren't crazy HOAs out there, but I think they really are the exceptions rather than the continual horror stories that CDers love to share.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM

9,418 posts, read 8,148,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I currently live in a Master Community Association, so a little different than an HOA. It's a planned urban community on the site of the former airport here, with the oldest houses being about 17 or 18 years old, and construction is still ongoing (total number of households I think will end up at close to 30,000 so it's a very, very large area).

the MCA actually encourages people to be creative when it comes to painting their homes - developers were mandated to add some variety to each parcel the developed, but they still generally used a related color scheme for all the houses on a given block. The HOA supports the idea that over time, as people repaint and re-landscape their individual properties, that individuality will help to take away some of the cookie cutter feel of the development. So aside from purposefully mixing up lots of different architectural styles, over the years, lots of natural variation has crept in.

There are some areas with a secondary HOA, and those tend to be much stricter. But the only permission I need to get to make changes are ones that requiring city permitting, the MCA doesn't impose additional restrictions.

So a lot really just depends on the specifics. I know someone who lived in a single family house in an HOA, and they were forced to repaint their garage door because they had painted it the wrong color (it was supposed to match the beige trim instead of the white the painter had used). They also had restrictions on the front door colors, so that no house with the same color front door could be next door to a house with that same color. So I'm not saying there aren't crazy HOAs out there, but I think they really are the exceptions rather than the continual horror stories that CDers love to share.
I agree there are some crazy HOA's out there but they are the exception versus the rule. One of the main problems with HOA's is not the Covenants, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations but those that move in and either did not read the docs or assume as long as I own it, I can do as I wish.

The issues we are having is folks letting their lawns die when each home has a sprinkler system and there are no water restrictions. Granted our water is expensive here. Rusted mailboxes and post. Late dues payers with about 5% over one year late.

The only single owner problem is a non-conforming structure one owner built in his backyard. He has been told to modify it or remove it. He is also one of the owners over a year late. He is our problem child. We are meeting with our lawyer and will soon be legally cracking down on him.

Last edited by johngolf; 09-24-2019 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 03:02 PM

138 posts, read 37,174 times
I like HOAs, because it collects and segregates most of the petty tyrants and people willing to subject themselves to arbitrary, undemocratic rule - it leaves the people that appreciate liberty and freedom alone to live how they choose.

In a country that has sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives in the fight for freedom, it is disheartening that some of the beneficiaries of that legacy still feel justified stealing their neighbors' property because they don't like their choice of paint color or their lawn maintenance schedule.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM

1,560 posts, read 718,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

What is "crazy" about paint color guidelines? The person you know should have reviewed the rules BEFORE they moved into the neighborhood. My HOA mandates fence type and that the fence must be stained to match house trim. I just replaced my fence and I plan to comply with the stain guidelines. I didn't move into the neighborhood and expect the rules to be for everyone but me. It seems like the vast majority of complaints about HOA's are from people who are "shocked" when an HOA enforces rules that are clearly spelled out in the covenants. If a resident didn't review the rules before buying, too bad for them. If they want a more eclectic and "individual" look, they are perfectly free to move into an area like the one you chose. A more funky feel in an urban neighborhood could look very cool, but the same touches could be an eyesore in a traditional suburban neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:53 PM

9,418 posts, read 8,148,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
I like HOAs, because it collects and segregates most of the petty tyrants and people willing to subject themselves to arbitrary, undemocratic rule - it leaves the people that appreciate liberty and freedom alone to live how they choose.

In a country that has sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives in the fight for freedom, it is disheartening that some of the beneficiaries of that legacy still feel justified stealing their neighbors' property because they don't like their choice of paint color or their lawn maintenance schedule.
You have the freedom to accept or deny the associations terms. All they are asking is abide by the terms you agreed to. Freedom of choice at its finest. What else do you want?

Old 09-25-2019, 07:22 PM

16,563 posts, read 14,079,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You have the freedom to accept or deny the associations terms. All they are asking is abide by the terms you agreed to. Freedom of choice at its finest. What else do you want?
I would agree, except, many local governments have been mandating any new development be an HOA. If there was true freedom in this choice, the market would decide about HOAs, not the government. These mandates over the decades has restricted the supply of non-HOA housing.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 AM

32,753 posts, read 60,773,018 times
Historically, I'd have said no, but my next move is going to be into a condo, where HOAs are unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
What is "crazy" about paint color guidelines?
Oh, I dunno ... Everything? How does everyone having a different colored house affect you at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The issues we are having is folks letting their lawns die when each home has a sprinkler system and there are no water restrictions. Granted our water is expensive here.
Sounds like your board needs a little lesson in lawn maintenance. Lawns don't "die"; they merely go dormant and green up again when it rains. You'd probably faint dead away if you saw a zoysia lawn in the winter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But if your HOA prevents your neighbors from painting their house purple with pink shutters and parking cars on their front lawn, you'll be glad for an HOA..
Sounds like the kind of neighbor I'd like to live next door to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I get the idea of the value of HOAs. Where I think they fail is in outlawing environmentally valuable ideas; namely front lawn herb gardens and clotheslines. (To those who are peeing their pants: NO, they are NOT unsightly. Take the stick out of your ass.)
It's also not important that everyone's garage door be the same color. But it is good not to have junk piled up in the driveways.
And the junk piled up in the driveways could be handled with code enforcement; no HOA is necessary.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 09-26-2019 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 09:02 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,723,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You'd no doubt hate living in the very upscale neighborhood in Austin that had this internationally famous house and lawn. Which everyone loved and which RAISED the property values in the neighborhood.
Cute, but I try not to let "proof by exception" lead to bad decisions. There are exceptions to every rule, outliers don't lead to good conclusions...

Old 09-27-2019, 09:17 AM

15,395 posts, read 32,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Oh, I dunno ... Everything? How does everyone having a different colored house affect you at all?

Well, if you have a close neighbor that paints their house lime green and purple, it will reduce your homes value and make it harder to sell. So yes, it does affect you.

Having said that, I prefer no HOA, but Id rather be far enough away from neighbors to not deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House