U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 35 26.12%
NO 99 73.88%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:19 AM

7,100 posts, read 4,426,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like your board needs a little lesson in lawn maintenance. Lawns don't "die"; they merely go dormant and green up again when it rains. You'd probably faint dead away if you saw a zoysia lawn in the winter ...
Um, depends on where you live. Where I live there is a six-month hot & dry season from April through October, and if your lawn is brown, it is dead and isn't coming back. If people don't want to water their lawns, our HOA leaves them free to take out the lawn and plant shrubs or succulents, what they call "water-wise" landscaping, but you can't just have an expanse of dead, brown grass and dirt out front all summer long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 11:55 AM

21,726 posts, read 12,367,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
What is "crazy" about paint color guidelines? The person you know should have reviewed the rules BEFORE they moved into the neighborhood. My HOA mandates fence type and that the fence must be stained to match house trim. I just replaced my fence and I plan to comply with the stain guidelines. I didn't move into the neighborhood and expect the rules to be for everyone but me. It seems like the vast majority of complaints about HOA's are from people who are "shocked" when an HOA enforces rules that are clearly spelled out in the covenants. If a resident didn't review the rules before buying, too bad for them. If they want a more eclectic and "individual" look, they are perfectly free to move into an area like the one you chose. A more funky feel in an urban neighborhood could look very cool, but the same touches could be an eyesore in a traditional suburban neighborhood.
They didn't intend to not comply with the standards, they just thought the garage door was white, when it was apparently an off-white/beige so they were a few shades different. I personally think that was kind of extreme to make them repaint it when the difference was not really even noticeable. It wasn't like they they were trying to look different or funky, they just picked the wrong shade of white.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 8,148,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They didn't intend to not comply with the standards, they just thought the garage door was white, when it was apparently an off-white/beige so they were a few shades different. I personally think that was kind of extreme to make them repaint it when the difference was not really even noticeable. It wasn't like they they were trying to look different or funky, they just picked the wrong shade of white.
Could they have not asked?

Our Covenants say all front doors will be black. Women moves is and paints hers white. She receives a violation letter from our MC with a copy of that section of the Covenants and told to paint it black. She replies it is my front door, how dare you tell me what color it has to be. We finally got her to paint it black as she wanted to sell and our MC would not issues a "clean" Estoppel so her lawyer told her to paint it black. We waived the fines we had issued her just to get rid of her.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:00 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,418,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Could they have not asked?

Our Covenants say all front doors will be black. Women moves is and paints hers white. She receives a violation letter from our MC with a copy of that section of the Covenants and told to paint it black. She replies it is my front door, how dare you tell me what color it has to be. We finally got her to paint it black as she wanted to sell and our MC would not issues a "clean" Estoppel so her lawyer told her to paint it black. We waived the fines we had issued her just to get rid of her.
Blind obedience to a despotic "rule". How has that historically worked out in the past?
As a complete aside - black sounds like a poor color choice for doors. This must be a condo project.

Your post reveals the financial exposure a prospective buyer has should they buy in your project. The idea that your private corporation could "fine" and interfere with prospective sales until the egos of board members (and coffers of the management company) are satisfied should be advertised on your website. Most HOA and condo corporation boards prefer to keep threats private lest the inability of others to sell might come home to roost.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:30 AM

37,746 posts, read 46,606,028 times
I live in an established neighborhood without an HOA. Many who live here are original owners and the woman whose daddy owned all the land the neighborhood was built on, lives here and is a real estate agent. She has flipped a few houses here herself, and controls the buyers to some extent. There is a kind of unspoken code that we all keep up our yards and maintain our homes. I’m thankful for that. Every year someone collects $35. from everyone to maintain the landscaping at the entrance.

My son bought a house in a new construction, starter home neighborhood. They have a rigid HOA, and they really need it there. The homes are close together, inexpensive, and most have only one car garages. Without strict regulations, there would be chaos there. He rents it out now, and now he lives HOA free. Live and learn..

Old 10-04-2019, 01:40 PM

27,166 posts, read 43,145,315 times
I owned a condo for many years. Bought it brand new. In the beginning we had our own property manager. The complex was well maintained with low HOA fees. The manager and a couple employees did a great job and were very responsive. The fees did not go up for years and we even managed to do some upgrades like fixing construction defects and adding an irrigation system.

Then a small group of homeowners decided that they did not like the manager because he also had a couple side businesses. They kept pushing for hiring a professional management company and eventually they won. They fired the manager and the employees and brought in a professional. It soon became apparent that maintenance went down hill. Repairs took forever and the HOA fee went up big time. It was a big mistake. I pretty much vowed not to deal with an HOA again. Jay

Old 10-05-2019, 06:14 AM

16,563 posts, read 14,079,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in an established neighborhood without an HOA. Many who live here are original owners and the woman whose daddy owned all the land the neighborhood was built on, lives here and is a real estate agent. She has flipped a few houses here herself, and controls the buyers to some extent. There is a kind of unspoken code that we all keep up our yards and maintain our homes. Im thankful for that. Every year someone collects $35. from everyone to maintain the landscaping at the entrance.

My son bought a house in a new construction, starter home neighborhood. They have a rigid HOA, and they really need it there. The homes are close together, inexpensive, and most have only one car garages. Without strict regulations, there would be chaos there. He rents it out now, and now he lives HOA free. Live and learn..
He does not live HOA free at all, he still owns the house, still responsible for HOA compliance.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:35 PM

37,746 posts, read 46,606,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
He does not live HOA free at all, he still owns the house, still responsible for HOA compliance.
Oh, sure, but the management company worries about it, not him. Once in awhile he gets involved. One time he got cited for having weeds around his mailbox. The weeds around his mailbox were consciously planted, but were not blooming at the time the Gestapo put the hammer down.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM

11,217 posts, read 5,253,927 times
I live in Cape Coral which has its own rules & regulations but nothing like an HOA. I would prefer to live over the bridge in Fort Myers, however almost every property over there is in an HOA and I don't want an HOA who feels they can tell me what to do with my own house. Now if I could find an HOA that does little except keep up the pool and common grounds I would be okay with that.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM

923 posts, read 717,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hmmm...
I, of course, know nothing about Columbus, Ohio, but here in Montana, if the "riff-raff" (whoever/whatever that is) does not participate in the abatement of noxious weeds, the county or state will gladly do it for them, then add the cost to their real estate tax bill. If the landowner does not pay it, the property will eventually be auctioned off on the courthouse steps.
The same thing applies to junk vehicles, unless, of course, the "junk" vehicle has current registration and license plates or if the vehicle is a 1927 Model T truck (or steel-wheeled tractor) displayed as "yard art".
Either way, an HOA is simply not required, and to many people (including myself) is not desired
Here in Columbus, sadly, the county will only mow the property if the grass/weeds get over 12 tall! Unreal. And then it grows for another 2 months before the county will mow it again. And riff-raff dont care about property taxes. They dont pay that either. Eventually they get foreclosed on, but that takes years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House