U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Prefer to Live in an HOA
YES 14 23.33%
NO 46 76.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

9,257 posts, read 8,001,694 times

Advertisements

Prefer to live in an HOA? Yes or No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

6,690 posts, read 8,228,622 times
My current experience is negative so I would tend to say no HOA.

However, my thought is that if you are one of the original purchasers, and bought before the development was handed over to the HOA, you may avoid a lot of problems. All you need to do is follow the builders rules, which are usually straight forward.

New developments are usually builder controlled during build-out, after which the builders officially hand the control over to an HOA. In my case, the folks who moved in once the HOA got started (and original owners started to move out) are trying to make the area into their new vision of what the character should be. They invent rules on the fly and use ambiguous phraseology in the covenants to support their decisions. (You know, folks raised out of area/state who want to control the locals and remake life to their own desires.)

So move in before there is an HOA and once it is formed be on the board yourself and it might work. HOAs are all so dependent on who is in charge, and some states have no oversight if they go crazy.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,462 posts, read 55,436,840 times
Absolutely not. Fortunately, when this area was built there were several builders involved so the homes are not all alike, and when the people moved in no one wanted to form an HOA.
We are surrounded by developments with HOAs but we have none. Our part of the street has old growth fir trees and doesn’t even have sidewalks, it’s in a city but feels more rural.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,420,339 times
I like having the HOA take care of the grass, tree trimming, snow removal, etc. Worth every penny.

Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

2,651 posts, read 5,393,789 times
Not playing, 'cause there's no "maybe, it depends" option.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

917 posts, read 703,475 times
Absolutely. HOAs keep out the rif-raff.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

483 posts, read 185,472 times
We moved here 11 years ago because we found a home we liked without an HOA, that attribute was a "must have" because the HOA home we owned in Naples FL for 10 years previously went off it's rocker, after finally (25 years later) the developer turned the HOA over to residents.

The HOA board installed gated access, never needed one in 25 years, and it was broken constantly because people didn't know how to use it, went through it while drunk, etc. The board (I was elected to it) made rules that were illegal and hired an attorney to harass people. One neighborhood went door to door to get owners proxies so they could revamp the documents since they needed 2/3's agreement on major changes. When they proposed requiring board approval for someone to buy a current owners home that was the last straw. We started looking for a new home.

Here our neighbor down the street has a lawn service and mows our yard for a low charge, and only when it needs cutting (rainy season). It's easy to get tree trimmers once or twice a year. Much less expensive than jacked up HOA fees. Our neighbors are quiet and friendly and helpful and best of all they live here year-round. In our Naples HOA 80% were absent half the year.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

6,949 posts, read 4,310,282 times
I live in a HOA, and it's not nearly as draconian as most of the HOAs people on C-D complain about. After 22 years, I can't think of a single rule that has been made "more strict," although several have been made "more lax"; for instance, the palette of colors for houses has been expanded.

The HOA doesn't infringe on us in any way that we care about. This is a densely populated area with small yards and houses very close together, so I'm just fine with not being able to leave RVs on the street or cars parked on the front lawn. Back yards need to be fenced, but they were all fenced before we moved in, and I like them fenced. Owners are responsible for their own lawns and trees/plants on their property. The HOA does a wonderful job of landscaping the streets and common areas, as well as maintaining the community pools and the lake. They sponsor various fun community events all year round, too. And the fee is quite low ($55/mo). I can't think of a thing to complain about.

So, if the question is do I like living in MY HOA, definitely yes. Would I like living in some of the HOAs other people describe, probably not.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 3,463,666 times
It really depends on the HOA.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

125 posts, read 19,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Not playing, 'cause there's no "maybe, it depends" option.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House