Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times

Advertisements

In a 350k house with a decent but not huge kitchen, do you think a significant amount of value would be added in upgrading from the standard "push-in" electric range/cooktop combo and hood-mounted microwave to the "Gourmet" option with the independent cooktop and a wall-mounted oven/microwave combo that looks like a double oven?

Is a gourmet kitchen even a selling feature or is it just personal preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I bought a spec home with a gourmet kitchen. The first thing that got me sold on the house was the double oven so to me, yes it was a selling point. Mine has a real double oven and a separate microwave. The microwave I was impartial to...in fact it was one that actually just recirculated the air back in the house. Supposedly, my community does not allow outside vents other than the ones they installed (fireplace, dryer, bathrooms, etc.) The cooktop is electric, so I don't know whether you would be able to replace that with a gas one if a gas cooktop exists.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
Are you in an area of newer or older homes? Do you know if your neighbors have renovated their kitchens and, if so, whether they've loaded them or just bought basic new appliances? I'm not a realtor (or appraiser) and don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but I would assume a gourmet kitchen may be out of place in a neighborhood containing a majority of older homes, most of which have not been upgraded to this standard. In a community with new construction, I would assume you'll see a larger return on investment, as buyers looking for newer homes may be more critical in their quest for a kitchen with more modern (and expensive) upgrades.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM

It's all newer homes in this particular development, but the gourmet kitchen is an option and some homes have it, some do not.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
If you call it a "gourmet" kitchen and it isn't one, you could end up having possible buyers walk out after seeing the kitchen.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
If you call it a "gourmet" kitchen and it isn't one, you could end up having possible buyers walk out after seeing the kitchen.
Not sure I understand this post - I never said anything about "Calling" it a gourmet kitchen - I'm wondering if I should get it in the first place and what kind of value that would add. I wouldn't misrepresent whatever we ultimately choose to do.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Such a kitchen would be a bonus primarily to those who are active in the cooking arts. Those types appreciate a gourmet kitchen but would probably rip it apart to make things fit their needs and tastes.

Significant value? Less than what it costs to have it installed. Many upgrades of the optional type, and this is one, add little to the overall value. Same with swimming pools and so on. For this I'd say the added value would be 40% to 60% of the cost of putting it in.

I'll also ask you, since it would help us out a bit, is your home currently on the market? If so, have their been negative comments about the current kitchen setup?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Sneezecake, it's really just a matter of personal preference. Don't do it if your only goal is resale value. Do it for you & you alone.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I would do it, myself, but I cook nearly every day so the upgraded appliances mean a lot to me.

I guess I would weigh out the cost.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sneezecake, it's really just a matter of personal preference. Don't do it if your only goal is resale value. Do it for you & you alone.

I whole heartedly agree with this. Dont think about resale and making
bucks. Do it for you, IF you want it.

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House