U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

12,805 posts, read 49,600,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I'm hiring a good tile company so I'm sure they will deal with it properly. I'm hearing the old flooring out to save myself $5,000. I was just curious about why that cut was so wide. Never have seen an expansion joint that wide. My tile guy says don't worry about it.

Control joint or cold joint? At this point I guess it really doesn't matter. The important thing is the tile contractor handles it properly.

Either way, I probably wouldn't fill it. Filling it may cause more problems than if it were left alone. If it were an "active" joint, filling it can cause more stress and further separation. Leaving it open will allow movement if it's at it's widest point- possibly shrinking as colder weather sets in (the drawback is insect infestation through that crack if there is any break or opening in the vapor barrier).

Bridging the joint with isolation membrane is the best overall solution. It's not 100%, but it's as close as you'll come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:56 AM

154 posts, read 52,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Control joint or cold joint? At this point I guess it really doesn't matter. The important thing is the tile contractor handles it properly.

Either way, I probably wouldn't fill it. Filling it may cause more problems than if it were left alone. If it were an "active" joint, filling it can cause more stress and further separation. Leaving it open will allow movement if it's at it's widest point- possibly shrinking as colder weather sets in (the drawback is insect infestation through that crack if there is any break or opening in the vapor barrier).

Bridging the joint with isolation membrane is the best overall solution. It's not 100%, but it's as close as you'll come.
I guess I'll have to leave that up to the tiling company. I'm sure they've dealt with this type of thing before. I spoke with the manager about it and he said they would fill it. I suppose he could've meant filling it with thinset rather than some sort of caulk. He's out in Seattle right now dealing with family matters so I'll discuss it with him when he gets back in Florida.

Thanks for your advice. I'm trying to educate myself on this matter and this helps.

Old Today, 02:59 AM

154 posts, read 52,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
My house in Florida has the same type cuts. I don't recall the width of the cuts, but I'm pretty certain that they are there to control the location of the stress cracks. The concrete will crack in those cuts rather than in a random zig zag pattern across the floor.
That's exactly what my tile company manager said. They are supposed to start tiling on the 30th. I'll discuss this some more with the manager once he gets back in town. I'm feeling better about this situation .

Thanks for your info!

Old Today, 10:58 AM

6,234 posts, read 3,478,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
In the first pic I see it's as wide as a nail head. Wonder why they left some nails there and didn't clean that up. Just brainstorming.
That tells me itís probably been there since the original construction. Construction sites are notoriously messy and they donít clean up any dropped nails that can be covered up.

Old Today, 11:33 AM

135 posts, read 97,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
That's exactly what my tile company manager said. They are supposed to start tiling on the 30th. I'll discuss this some more with the manager once he gets back in town. I'm feeling better about this situation .

Thanks for your info!
Houses continue to expand and contract with the changing of the weather and the changing of the seasons. For example, in my Florida house, there is a hallway near the center of the house. At the entrance to this hallway from the living room, there is a small crack in the hallway ceiling that is hardly visible in summer months when it is hot and humid. During the winter when the weather is much drier and cooler, this crack will open up to somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8". This happens every year.

I suggest that you NOT fill in the cracks/cuts in your concrete floor. They were put there for a reason. Filling the cracks with an incompressible substance would defeat the purpose of these cracks and likely cause problems somewhere else. If the cracks haven't caused a problem by now, then they're not likely to in the future unless you mess with them.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

2,736 posts, read 728,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Really unnecessary, it’s not an active expansion joint in the true sense. The joint should be filled with and sand and cement mix to the top of the slab and then follow the instructions according to the manufacturers recommendation for the specific crack isolation membrane being used. This was a typical detail (thousands of feet ) that I’ve dealt with while supervising commercial construction projects.
Your extensive experience certainly trumps my limited experience. Thanks for sharing.

Old Today, 03:02 PM

2,530 posts, read 563,310 times
It was probably formed using strips of this:

https://standardconcreteproducts.com...pansion-joint/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...4050/203151902

Old Today, 03:45 PM

12,805 posts, read 49,600,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post

Well, if was "formed" using that- where is it???

Old Today, 06:29 PM

1,947 posts, read 669,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Your extensive experience certainly trumps my limited experience. Thanks for sharing.
It does depend on the type of flooring thatís being installed and the type of membrane being installed. One type, Schluter DITRA is a complete floor isolation product and with a porcelain tile, the floor joint with not be filled. So there are varying conditions depending on the product and floor covering.

Perhaps I should not have previously posted that the joint should or should not be filled filled without knowing all of the particulars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House