U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM

5,243 posts, read 2,312,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Jeans can/should be worn a few months before washing.
That's fine for people who don't sweat...……...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

10,873 posts, read 12,951,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Washers do come with manuals.
Yes. But washers also come with a Start button and most people would rather not read the manual. I mean 99% probably don't.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

2,736 posts, read 728,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, are people misusing the "Quick Wash" cycles on their HE washers, especially those who are used to traditional top loaders? I think this could be partly to blame for the myth that HE washers don't wash as well due to improper usage...
Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, employs testing engineers who have extensively studied how HE washing machines actually work (or don't work) on all cycles, and have undertaken extensive comparison tests among various HE washing machines along with conventional machines.

The results are conclusive and incontrovertible. HE machines do not clean clothing as well, period. Want more contaminants removed? Use the pre-wash cycle in addition to the normal cycle, and use as many extra rinses and the machine will allow. Use the highest spin speed. Want even more removed? Wash the clothing twice in a row.

HE washing machines are NOT engineered to extract the maximum feasible quantity of contaminants. HE washing machines ARE designed to use less water, and they achieve that goal. Let me say that again: they are designed to use less water, NOT to get clothing as clean as feasible (let alone possible).

Water is a solvent. The more solvent you use in the washing process, the more contaminants you'll extract. But using more water (solvent) is against the desires of our glorious federal government. Hence the deliciously misnamed "HE" washing machine. "HE" implies somehow it does a good job, but that isn't true.

A washing machine designed to extract maximum contaminants would use lots and lots and lots of water. Such washing machines are not legal to sell to the public.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

887 posts, read 243,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

To re-cap, remember just one thing: your privates and workout clothes SHOULD be washed every time you wear them! ...
I never take my privates off, even when washing!:
Wish I knew... - I wear them all the time

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

887 posts, read 243,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, employs testing engineers who have extensively studied how HE washing machines actually work (or don't work) on all cycles, and have undertaken extensive comparison tests among various HE washing machines along with conventional machines.

The results are conclusive and incontrovertible. HE machines do not clean clothing as well, period. Want more contaminants removed? Use the pre-wash cycle in addition to the normal cycle, and use as many extra rinses and the machine will allow. Use the highest spin speed. Want even more removed? Wash the clothing twice in a row.

HE washing machines are NOT engineered to extract the maximum feasible quantity of contaminants. HE washing machines ARE designed to use less water, and they achieve that goal. Let me say that again: they are designed to use less water, NOT to get clothing as clean as feasible (let alone possible).

Water is a solvent. The more solvent you use in the washing process, the more contaminants you'll extract. But using more water (solvent) is against the desires of our glorious federal government. Hence the deliciously misnamed "HE" washing machine. "HE" implies somehow it does a good job, but that isn't true.

A washing machine designed to extract maximum contaminants would use lots and lots and lots of water. Such washing machines are not legal to sell to the public.
The worst contaminant of clothes is most likely the detergent people are using...
Contradictory to a research you describe - our clothes come out so much cleaner since we switched to the front loader and amazingly - lasting much longer.
We used to buy new black shirts and pants every year- as they were fading ( we are using a special detergent for black clothing)
Now we don’t have to replace it. We are not sure if the top loader washer or the former dryer caused the excessive wear: we are currently using washer and dryer in one machine- fully automatic.
The dryer is condensing type- maybe it is more gentle?
We are quite happy with the automatic machine.

Last edited by Nik4me; Yesterday at 02:22 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

16,763 posts, read 16,886,482 times
Quote:
jeans can/should be worn a few months before washing.

Wuh??????????????????????????

Peeeeeyewwww!!!!!!

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

38,985 posts, read 56,831,852 times
Also have front load washers since 1980. The ones I owned overseas can warm up water to desired temperature (depends on the setting). That plus an excellent laundry detergent WILL make your laundry spotless clean.
Cotton on high temps - your towels, socks, beddings, table cloths - all will look like new. Other fabrics needs to be washed as directed by the manufacturer. Some can be washed with cold water and they still will look great.
The secret to it is not to overload your washer and let the fabrics have the right amount of water and detergent.
People stuff the washers to the top and then wonder why their laundry isn't washed properly.

Unfold your laundry, especially make sure that your socks are not a ball. Place them on the bottom of the
washer.

Pretreat stains with a liquid laundry detergent or stain remover, using an up-and-down motion with a soft brush to break up the stain. Repeat, then use white vinegar until you've removed as much stain as possible.
Never scrub it.

Never pour your laundry detergent directly on the clothes. Put it into the right dispenser or for best detergent distribution (read: cleaner clothes), place laundry in first, then add water, and lastly add soap.

Always close all zippers, but always unbutton your shirts.

Make sure your colors don't bleed. To check make a small spot wet then blot it with a white cloth to see if the dye bleeds.

Use high quality laundry detergent. Never use more than recommended.
Tide is good, Persil is better.
Persil powder is better, but use liquid on delicates and very dark fabrics.

Also remember that the heat from dryer can alter the stains.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 03:40 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

4,954 posts, read 6,714,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

So you must have a link to these studies?
Because everything I’ve seen says the opposite.

Like Bob Vila making reference to studies:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/top...-load-washers/

“When it comes to clean, fresh laundry, front-loaders outperform their top-loading counterparts in just about every consumer-group study.”

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/shoul...shing-machine/

They’re better at cleaning. Every controlled test shows that front-loaders remove more soils from fabric than top-loaders. Consumer Reports gives an Excellent mark for wash performance to more than 30 front-loaders. Only a single top-loader earns that same mark. At Reviewed.com, front-loaders dominate the rankings as well. At the time of writing, the best top-loader finally appears at number 34 on its list of the best washers.

Last edited by mistyriver; Yesterday at 05:41 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 4,031,752 times
I use the quick wash for washing fabric before I sew it, washing out bathing suits after swimming in the pool, and sometimes washing new clothes before wearing. I had to tell my teenage grandson to use the regular cycle on hot though, even though he was is a hurry.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

3,920 posts, read 1,025,413 times
Quote:
Jeans can/should be worn a few months before washing.
I think this bit is just another news flash that goes against the status quo. Some guy who said it probably is laughing at all the people going months without washing their jeans. One (probably more, too) article went on to say that if they start to smell, put them in the freezer. THE FREEZER.

Man, we're really hurting for electricity and water. Not washing our hair every day, banning clothes dryers in another thread, waiting months between cleaning our jeans in this one. My wife loves the way my jeans fit on Day 1/2. I can't get away with more than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or