U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

38,993 posts, read 56,847,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Sounds like you could be describing a rural/ small town living in parts of Europe.
Are you trying to say, that wherever you have lived/live in Europe- that the businessman wears the same shirt for the second and third time without washing?
I know, it is silly of me to use the name Europe as a descriptor- still a lot of differences between countries.
I am not going to argue with you about the details of who, where and how regarding differences in laundry habits geographically.
I have never seen bedsheets hanging in high rises in most of the European cities. The machines I described are very efficient to run in terms of electricity.
My point was, that there is a difference in the average family size and the way the laundry handled in the US making the front loaders way of washing not quite the same as the older US washers, which could be easily stuffed to the gills.
Understandably, it would take some time for people here to figure out the details and get used to a different type of washing machines to ensure they get a very clean laundry and no smelly moldy machines.
Berlin - very rural... Lol

But I agree with the statement that front loaders in the US and European brands are different, and most people are so used to agitators that the front loaders seem to be an unnecessary novelty.
Like every fairly sensitive and high tech appliance it also needs some special care. Drying the rubber sealer and leaving the door open for a while are some of those. With top loaders such extra work isn't necessary.
People want easy and fast. Front loaders aren't that easy and fast but they do a very good job when handled properly.

BTW:
T-shirts, tank tops and camisoles should be washed after each wearing. Outer clothes like dress shirts and khakis can be worn a few times before washing unless it is hot out and you are sweating or they are visibly dirty or stained. Jeans can typically be worn 3 times before washing.
https://www.cleaninginstitute.org/cl...do-i-need-wash

Why you should wear clothes more than once. The more you wash your clothes, the more quickly they'll wear out. ... Most clothes are clean after a wearing – especially if you only wore them for a few hours. Many of us can get at least two wearings out of most clothing items before needing to launder them.
https://snappyliving.com/how-often-d...-wash-clothes/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:43 AM

15,314 posts, read 31,870,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am one of those people . I HATE front loaders with a passion they stink of mold and midew after a while and I tried everything leaving the door open , after a cycle . drying them out with a towel nothing worked they stink . I now own top loaders and will continue to own a top loader until the day I die .
I wish I would have bought one of the those Speed Queen top loaders last year before they were forced to change them to meet the new gov requirements.

Old Today, 07:11 AM

7,300 posts, read 5,542,637 times
I went from a Samsung front loader to a top loader. I always use the quick wash unless I'm washing comforters or heavily soiled items. I leave the door open for a few hours to air out the water.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

13,964 posts, read 19,073,965 times
you see physics tells me that front loaders do not drain properly that is why I say they stink . How can they drain water properly if they are not angled to do so ? an upright aka top loader can drain the water properly as we all know that water goes down hill not up hill therefore I do believe that is why front loaders keep water therefore causing mold and mildew simple basic knowledge of up and down . LOL

Old Today, 10:11 AM

34,202 posts, read 42,787,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I went from a Samsung front loader to a top loader. I always use the quick wash unless I'm washing comforters or heavily soiled items. I leave the door open for a few hours to air out the water.
Leaving the lid open on a top loader is recommended to let any residual water evaporate. That's not done at many laundromats and is one reason why many of the machines at them reek.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

117 posts, read 19,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you see physics tells me that front loaders do not drain properly that is why I say they stink . How can they drain water properly if they are not angled to do so ? an upright aka top loader can drain the water properly as we all know that water goes down hill not up hill therefore I do believe that is why front loaders keep water therefore causing mold and mildew simple basic knowledge of up and down . LOL
The seals on some front loaders trap water between the seal and frame thereby creating a perfect medium for mold growth. All washers have pumps so that they can discharge water up and thru the discharge high loop. A front loader tub is pumped out just like a front loader and both tubs should have no water after pump out.

Old Today, 03:00 PM

1,052 posts, read 727,930 times
Most newer HE machines are idiot proof. Pop in your clothes the machines weighs it and adds the appropriate amount of water soap and time.

Old Today, 03:01 PM

1,052 posts, read 727,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
The seals on some front loaders trap water between the seal and frame thereby creating a perfect medium for mold growth. All washers have pumps so that they can discharge water up and thru the discharge high loop. A front loader tub is pumped out just like a front loader and both tubs should have no water after pump out.
You need to clean the rubber seals on the door, I do it once a month, takes 25 seconds. I run a cleaning tablet in mine 3x a year.

Old Today, 03:10 PM

1,718 posts, read 494,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
So you must have a link to these studies?
Because everything I’ve seen says the opposite.

Like Bob Vila making reference to studies:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/top...-load-washers/

“When it comes to clean, fresh laundry, front-loaders outperform their top-loading counterparts in just about every consumer-group study.”

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/shoul...shing-machine/

They’re better at cleaning. Every controlled test shows that front-loaders remove more soils from fabric than top-loaders. Consumer Reports gives an Excellent mark for wash performance to more than 30 front-loaders. Only a single top-loader earns that same mark. At Reviewed.com, front-loaders dominate the rankings as well. At the time of writing, the best top-loader finally appears at number 34 on its list of the best washers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Every single person I have talked to that has a front loader says they will never buy another one. That’s good enough for me.
Yes though we have all the surveys and studies I too will purchase a top loader again. Everyone I know that has purchased a front loader over the years has had nothing but trouble with them. They leak more and faster, they break down more, they get moldy in the door flaps and smell. To each their own.

Old Today, 03:18 PM

1,718 posts, read 494,575 times
Regarding the quick wash cycle I use it for a smaller load when I need something washed and am pressed for time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or