Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Jeans can/should be worn a few months before washing.
And after that, the jeans would be too dirty to be worth washing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 AM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
So you must have a link to these studies?
Because everything I’ve seen says the opposite.

Like Bob Vila making reference to studies:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/top...-load-washers/

“When it comes to clean, fresh laundry, front-loaders outperform their top-loading counterparts in just about every consumer-group study.”

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/shoul...shing-machine/

They’re better at cleaning. Every controlled test shows that front-loaders remove more soils from fabric than top-loaders. Consumer Reports gives an Excellent mark for wash performance to more than 30 front-loaders. Only a single top-loader earns that same mark. At Reviewed.com, front-loaders dominate the rankings as well. At the time of writing, the best top-loader finally appears at number 34 on its list of the best washers.
Every single person I have talked to that has a front loader says they will never buy another one. That’s good enough for me.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 AM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think this bit is just another news flash that goes against the status quo. Some guy who said it probably is laughing at all the people going months without washing their jeans. One (probably more, too) article went on to say that if they start to smell, put them in the freezer. THE FREEZER.

Man, we're really hurting for electricity and water. Not washing our hair every day, banning clothes dryers in another thread, waiting months between cleaning our jeans in this one. My wife loves the way my jeans fit on Day 1/2. I can't get away with more than that!
Ummm...Not washing hair everyday is completely different. You should not. It dries out your hair. Ask any salon. I wash my hair twice a week, unless I need to after a sweaty afternoon of yard work.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 AM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think this bit is just another news flash that goes against the status quo. Some guy who said it probably is laughing at all the people going months without washing their jeans. One (probably more, too) article went on to say that if they start to smell, put them in the freezer. THE FREEZER.

Man, we're really hurting for electricity and water. Not washing our hair every day, banning clothes dryers in another thread, waiting months between cleaning our jeans in this one. My wife loves the way my jeans fit on Day 1/2. I can't get away with more than that!
You forgot the thread a couple months ago in Retirement where they were talking about how, now that they're older, they only have to bathe a couple times a week now.

I worked with college graduate women, so in theory not dumb, who stored their been worn panties and panty hose in the Faculty Room freezer to "clean and freshen them".

Old 09-15-2019, 08:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, employs testing engineers who have extensively studied how HE washing machines actually work (or don't work) on all cycles, and have undertaken extensive comparison tests among various HE washing machines along with conventional machines.

The results are conclusive and incontrovertible. HE machines do not clean clothing as well, period. Want more contaminants removed? Use the pre-wash cycle in addition to the normal cycle, and use as many extra rinses and the machine will allow. Use the highest spin speed. Want even more removed? Wash the clothing twice in a row.

HE washing machines are NOT engineered to extract the maximum feasible quantity of contaminants. HE washing machines ARE designed to use less water, and they achieve that goal. Let me say that again: they are designed to use less water, NOT to get clothing as clean as feasible (let alone possible).

Water is a solvent. The more solvent you use in the washing process, the more contaminants you'll extract. But using more water (solvent) is against the desires of our glorious federal government. Hence the deliciously misnamed "HE" washing machine. "HE" implies somehow it does a good job, but that isn't true.

A washing machine designed to extract maximum contaminants would use lots and lots and lots of water. Such washing machines are not legal to sell to the public.
I have an older washer & dryer that I bought used because it's all I could comfortably afford after buying this house. If the clothes are dirtier than a normal load, I shut the machine off after the water & detergent have filled up so the clothes can soak a little while. Then I always use a second rinse as I still see a little suds during that one rinse even though I don't use too much detergent. During that second rinse I add my softener.

My mother got a brand new machine a few years before she died. It was so complicated you needed to be an engineer to operate it. I did a load over there one day and it just wasn't using enough water for the load I had. I also hate those top loading machines that have no agitator. My landlord put one in my rental when my washer died and I had him exchange it after a few days. The clothes didn't seem to get clean and they came out a wrinkled mess all tangled up with each other.

Thank you U.S. Government and thank you for the low flow shower heads that are horrible. The minute I figure out how to remove whatever is inside to cause the low flow it's coming out!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:22 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, are people misusing the "Quick Wash" cycles on their HE washers, especially those who are used to traditional top loaders? I think this could be partly to blame for the myth that HE washers don't wash as well due to improper usage, since Quick Wash cycles are designed for small, lightly soiled loads. Apparently some just in a hurry not to use the longer Normal or Heavy Duty cycles and are gravitating towards the Quick Wash cycle, leading towards inadequate washing performance for larger loads and hurting the reputation of HE washers. I would never wash my full load of pink shirts on a Quick Wash cycle.
I use my quick wash pretty often because I have a grandson that suffers with belly issues, he can't feel that he has to pee; some days when he realizes he does, it's too late... So I throw his clothes and towels I use on quick wash.

The only reason it's quick is because it washes and rinses in warm water which reduces filling time. I have days where I adjust the water temp, wash and spin speed

Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Every single person I have talked to that has a front loader says they will never buy another one. That’s good enough for me.
I’ve had four (not because they’ve failed...just in different houses) and I’ll never go back to a top loader. Nothing gets my clothes as clean as a front loader and is as gentle on the clothes.
I got the first one because we lived in an off grid cabin and no other machine was as water and energy efficient. And that was cleaning clothes that were dirtied on a sheep and horse ranch while we were still building. Majorly dirty clothes.
So now youve talked to someone who says differently.

ETA: Oops, forgot I’ve had five. I have a teensy front loader in my motorhome.

Last edited by mistyriver; 09-15-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I am one of those people . I HATE front loaders with a passion they stink of mold and midew after a while and I tried everything leaving the door open , after a cycle . drying them out with a towel nothing worked they stink . I now own top loaders and will continue to own a top loader until the day I die .

Old 09-15-2019, 01:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You forgot the thread a couple months ago in Retirement where they were talking about how, now that they're older, they only have to bathe a couple times a week now.

I worked with college graduate women, so in theory not dumb, who stored their been worn panties and panty hose in the Faculty Room freezer to "clean and freshen them".

this is just way too gross for me yuck !!! on both fronts . sorry bad choice of words LOL .

Old 09-15-2019, 02:20 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Front loaders rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine,...The results are conclusive and incontrovertible. HE machines do not clean clothing as well, period.
What does Consumer Reports actually say?
"Front-Loaders

Pros
Cleaning typically earns Excellent or Very Good scores in our ratings.
• They're gentler on fabrics.
Cons
• Wash times are long, often 60 to 120 minutes using the normal wash/heavy soil setting.

Agitator Top-Loaders

Pros
• Usually the least expensive option.
• Cycle times are typically shorter.
• Cleaning often earns a Good score in our ratings, so these machines should clean a typically soiled load well. (They have a tougher time with heavy stains or soil, so pretreat.)
Cons
• Many are tough on fabrics.

High-Efficiency (HE) Top-Loaders

Pros
• Cleaning often earns a Very Good rating.
• Capacities are bigger than those of most agitator top-loaders.
Cons
• Most aren’t gentle on fabrics."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House