Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 PM

220 posts, read 133,560 times

Advertisements

https://rheem.pissedconsumer.com/rhe...512487184.html

I am looking for new air conditioning unit and I definitely don't want a Rheem but so many contractors are pushing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
We had rheem for 14 years and no problems. Our house burned and its being rebuilt and we are putting rheem in again. It was energy efficient. It depends on what you can afford there are plenty of brands out there, choose what makes you happy.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:51 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post

I am looking for new air conditioning unit and I definitely don't want a Rheem but so many contractors are pushing them.

So pick another brand!

Isn't free enterprise great!?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Since all brands have failures, and lawyers are hungry, the tricky thing is figuring out whether this brand has an unusually high rate of problems.

I am happy that I don't need a new AC, at least not right now.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM

289 posts, read 224,313 times
Pick your contractor first then the brand of equipment. The best equipment is still garbage if the installer does a poor job. My thought is to find a contractor you trust, then let them tell you what manufacturers they stand behind. Make sure they do at least a manual-j calculation for sizing and a manual-d for duct work. The biggest issues on AC systems are either over sizing the unit for the home, or undersized duct work/returns for the correct tonnage of AC. Every HVAC installation I have done resulted in at least adding more return air to the system.

If you go by equipment brand first, you may end up with a top of the line system installed by a moron and the system fails to perform or fails prematurely.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Pick your contractor first then the brand of equipment. The best equipment is still garbage if the installer does a poor job. My thought is to find a contractor you trust, then let them tell you what manufacturers they stand behind. Make sure they do at least a manual-j calculation for sizing and a manual-d for duct work. The biggest issues on AC systems are either over sizing the unit for the home, or undersized duct work/returns for the correct tonnage of AC. Every HVAC installation I have done resulted in at least adding more return air to the system.

If you go by equipment brand first, you may end up with a top of the line system installed by a moron and the system fails to perform or fails prematurely.

A Manual-J can be a good tool when when installing replacement appliances- but a Manual-D would really be a waste of time since most who are "replacing appliances" already have ducting in-place- and I'm sure they're not looking for "that" added expense!

Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM

289 posts, read 224,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A Manual-J can be a good tool when when installing replacement appliances- but a Manual-D would really be a waste of time since most who are "replacing appliances" already have ducting in-place- and I'm sure they're not looking for "that" added expense!
No, a manual-d is not a waste of time unless you want to buy a new system and have it prematurely die because of inadequate supply or return ducting. If nothing else, the manual-d will size the return air which is critical and adding return air is usually not a big deal. On the last HVAC project I did for a recently acquired property, we doubled the return air volume to match the CFM requirements for the evap coil. If an HVAC contractor told me doing a manual-d was a waste of time, I would move on to the next contractor. There is a right way and wrong way to do anything - unfortunately, with HVAC systems the wrong way is costly.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 PM

220 posts, read 133,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post

I have a part in my air conditioner that needs replacing which is so expensive to replace. I was told the part does have a warranty, but other issues could happen since it is 12 years old and the warranty has expired. So the existing unit has only a specific amount of space to fit into. I would like to get a higher efficiency, but the most I can have is a 16 seer.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:19 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post

Ruud and Rheem are good, uncomplicated units. Most have no problems, and that is why they are popular.
Try another brand that is supported in your area, and don't assume you are more versed than the people that install them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House