U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

436 posts, read 425,770 times

Advertisements

Not so fast people.

Electric dryers CAN cause CO problems in homes. Not directly, but if it is a tight home and the dryer is in the same room as a gas water heater or lower efficiency furnace, it could cause flue gas to spill into the house instead of going out the flue pipe like it's supposed to.

What a lot of people dont realize is that a dryer is basically a big exhaust fan that sucks air from inside of your house and shoots it outside.

If the house is too tight it could cause air/flue gasses to travel the wrong direction through the flue pipe/chimney.

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it could be a possibility.

I also want to mention that most CO detectors are programmed to ignore low levels of carbon monoxide, and will only alarm when the levels reach a dangerous level for an extended period of time. It is possible that you could be exposed to enough CO to cause you headaches, but not enough to trip the alarm.

This scenario might not be very likely, but it is possible.

Last edited by bfrabel; Yesterday at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

26,484 posts, read 33,525,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You're poorly placed to gripe at someone about this when YOU are the one asking whether you need to be worried about carbon monoxide from an electric dryer!
My thoughts exactly. Good grief!!

Old Today, 03:25 AM

39,904 posts, read 41,392,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Should not happen if you clean the filter screen after each load. And periodically clean out the slot where the filter screen slides in.

There is almost always going to be some lint build up. Especially long lengths, elbows and/or if you are using accordion type vent pipe. The only place I have not seen it build up is my parents, it's straight smooth pipe right out the wall so it's only a few feet long. My Dad still checks it occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or