U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 AM

7,720 posts, read 8,887,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would send the neighbor another text saying that I realize he's busy, but I'd like to get it repaired by (insert time frame here -next week, the end of the month, whatever), and "would he prefer that I hire someone to do the work and just send him the bill?" That way there's a question he has to answer, and you've set a "deadline" by which you expect him to do it.
Did this yesterday. Told him the repair needs to be done right, needs to be done by a handyman with all the necessary tools, and needs to happen this week. He has the resources as he works for a big real estate company and they use lots of handymen -- he might not even have to personally pay to get the work done since he can add the cost to one of his projects.

He claimed he "hadn't forgotten and had already contacted "his guy" to get this "squeezed in." (Translation: that was not true; he had not already called his handyman, but hopefully he will now that he knows I'm not giving up).

Last edited by lottamoxie; 09-16-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Have a large boulder rock delivered and placed next to the mail box. That will stop the back up problem.
I like that idea a lot! I'll have to check there won't be a problem with the city in regards to any easements in that spot, since there are various utilities buried underground.

As you can see in the photo I posted upstream I have no other options to relocate that mailbox with the shape of my lot and with driveways on either side of mine. But a boulder 2+ ft high with maybe one or 2 other smaller ones would provide a definite hard stop that should get a driver's attention.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
A simple steel beam might cause the neighbors to pay more attention when backing up❓
That's cool and creative. I ended up on a Thread On A Welding Forum yesterday where I saw some very creative mailbox projects guys have done with steel and other metals to try and create robust mailboxes that won't get damaged. (The comments interspersed were hilarious).

Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,411,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Great, come over and do the digging and reseating of the post for me. I'm female and can't lift anything over 10 to 15 lbs due to a back injury. So that means I need to hire someone to do the job.
I wish you'd stop citing being "female" as a reason not to fix your own mailbox. The back injury, sure. But able-bodied women are perfectly capable of this.

I'd just send a polite message saying "I'm going to hire a handyman on X date to fix the mailbox, and I'll forward you his bill when he's done. If you want to do fix yourself before then, that'd be great too!" No need to bicker or wring hands.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I wish you'd stop citing being "female" as a reason not to fix your own mailbox. The back injury, sure. But able-bodied women are perfectly capable of this.
Of course women are capable, I never said they weren't. Some referred to me as a guy or dude and I'm not a guy AND I also don't have upper body strength, 2 simple facts that are what they are. Cited more than once because I responded to people who obviously had not read my early posts when I laid out the options available to me in the situation.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 PM

18,941 posts, read 20,913,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

I'd just send a polite message saying "I'm going to hire a handyman on X date to fix the mailbox, and I'll forward you his bill when he's done. If you want to do fix yourself before then, that'd be great too!" No need to bicker or wring hands.
Doesnít matter why she doesnít want to do it. Able bodied or not. Itís the other guy who broke it and should fix or pay to fix it.

I would of done the exact thing you suggested. Call and give them x amount of time if they donít fix it hire someone and hand them the bill.

Btw whoever sent me that note saying it was a bad idea when I ďsuggestedĒ op runs over their mailbox..... I assume people would have a sense of humor. I guess not.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Doesn’t matter why she doesn’t want to do it. Able bodied or not. It’s the other guy who broke it and should fix or pay to fix it.
Agreed! It's the neighbor's friend who actually broke it but neighbor wanted to take care of it for their friend and transferred the responsibility onto himself (and his wife) to fix it.

For those who don't read or are not caught up: I texted neighbor yesterday, gave a deadline, and said the job needed to be done by a handyperson who has the necessary tools to do the repair properly. That text yesterday was 5 days after my 1st text.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM

1,735 posts, read 502,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Have a large boulder rock delivered and placed next to the mail box. That will stop the back up problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
A simple steel beam might cause the neighbors to pay more attention when backing up❓
I like both of these suggestions. The fact that this has happened twice now in 4 months indicates that this is probably going to happen again and again. Seems neither they nor their guests are good drivers. Therefore you need something stronger that will stop this in the future so you donít have to keep asking him to make repairs.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:30 PM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,238 posts, read 5,501,126 times
Quote:
I like that idea a lot! I'll have to check there won't be a problem with the city in regards to any easements in that spot, since there are various utilities buried underground.

As you can see in the photo I posted upstream I have no other options to relocate that mailbox with the shape of my lot and with driveways on either side of mine. But a boulder 2+ ft high with maybe one or 2 other smaller ones would provide a definite hard stop that should get a driver's attention.

There shouldn't be any problems with regards to easements. I have some boulders in my easement and when they do work they just shove them out of their way with whatever equipment theyre using.. Sometimes they don't put them back so you might have to roll them back yourself though.

Just me but I think your mailbox will look better with a few decorative boulders. It looks a little plain and lonely now. ( But Im a maximalist. So what do I know.) Odd numbers look best to me. If you find a large one with a flat front you could have your house number engraved on it. Or just do brass or black iron numbers. Make sure theyre at least bumper height.so that they cant run over them and hit your poor mailbox.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

1,972 posts, read 678,690 times
Quote:
That's cool and creative. I ended up on a Thread On A Welding Forum yesterday where I saw some very creative mailbox projects guys have done with steel and other metals to try and create robust mailboxes that won't get damaged. (The comments interspersed were hilarious).
Now that Iíve re-examined your photo, Iím thinking you can install two pipe bollards behind your mailbox so that a cars number would hit the pipe and protect your mailbox post but certainly not the bumper of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or