U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

5,633 posts, read 2,587,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But that's the POINT! You ARE essentially clean if you use the "old fashioned" method. You have been manipulated into believing you can't ever get clean enough by others who want to sell you stuff.
Same thing as people who basically douse themselves with Purell every time they leave the house.

I heard an interview with a sensible doctor who said that if he could get away with it, he'd name his practice "Let Them Eat Dirt Pediatrics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

21,577 posts, read 17,133,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Same thing as people who basically douse themselves with Purell every time they leave the house.

I heard an interview with a sensible doctor who said that if he could get away with it, he'd name his practice "Let Them Eat Dirt Pediatrics".

I actually agree with you about overuse of these products, but that has more to do with paranoia about germs than wanting to feel clean. Doesn't everyone feel good after a shower? It's nothing to do with germs or fear of dirt. I don't have any abnormal fear of germs, I don't use Purell except at work if I can't wash my hands (nursing homes, which also use wipes to clean patients) and I am a firm believer in the "5 second rule" if I drop an M&M on the floor. It's not the same at all.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

24,469 posts, read 18,214,071 times
I can't remember the last time I even owned baby wipes. The last time I used them, they went in the trash.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

9,971 posts, read 7,245,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
No. I know about clogging the sewer systems, that they don't always dissolve and form a big clog that damages our water systems.
We have a septic tank, so we don't flush any wipes. But even if we were on a public sewer system, we still wouldn't flush wipes of any kind, realizing the kind of issues they cause in those systems.

Those are some really scary pictures in the OP's linked article. I'd think the thoughts of public sewage backing up into somebody's house and all over like that would make the most recalcitrant "flush everything but the kitchen sink" home dweller think twice about it.

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

11,341 posts, read 6,313,364 times
Nope. Only toilet paper. I remember seeing some tv special about that and how ALL those wipes are clogging the free flow of some vent that is used in the water treatment facilities. It was enough to get me to pay heed.
Not only that but it's still possible, most likely even, to clog one's own toilet first.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

6,018 posts, read 7,165,135 times
If you eat the wipes, then you can flush them when the come out.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

32,683 posts, read 60,532,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We use very thin septic safe tp. It leaves crumbs of paper behind when you wet it. I also canít reach a faucet from the toilet, and I canít hold wet toilet paper and my phone at the same time.
Have you tried putting down the phone?

Old Today, 12:53 PM

21,577 posts, read 17,133,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you tried putting down the phone?
Before the phone I'd have been reading a magazine or something else. So, while yes I can put down the phone, I'd rather entertain myself while I sit there than do nothing just to free myself up to hold a piece of wet toilet paper. I don't think it's unusual for people to read or something while on the toilet.

Old Today, 02:22 PM
Status: " Narrow minds should come with closed mouths" (set 2 hours ago)

2,985 posts, read 1,348,052 times
I don't flush them anymore since the trouble our borough has had with clogged pipes. They actually had to dig up the road and replace sections of sewer due to people flushing stuff they shouldn't, including wipes.

The apartments my parents lived at in Upstate NY had a strict "no wipes flushing" rule after the entire sewer system backed up in a major way due to a clog from wipes. My parents and the other residents had gallons of stinky water and s_t backing up and overflowing from their toilets when the plumbing contractors were trying to flush the lines. It took several hours for my parents to clean up the mess and they had to toss the bathroom rug and the clothes they were wearing. The landlord had a fit over it when he found out it was wipes and started to threaten to evict anyone he saw coming in the building with wipes.

A lot of the wipes say 'flushable' on the package but my guess is that the clogs caused in both my borough and the place my parents lived in prior to my dad passing both had 'flushable' wipes in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House